Author Topic: Hashem Help Us!  (Read 1656 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Hashem Help Us!
« on: April 11, 2011, 12:33:43 PM »
I just read this inspirational article on A7 and thought I would share it with my JTF friends.

I have been going through a difficult period in my life the last few weeks. But, as this article confirms, the Jewish neshamah must keep on moving forward and trying to right wrongs in order to achieve all that Hashem has intended us to receive. I am thankful each day that I am blessed with a livelihood which has, till now, been dependable and rewarding... But even with my parnassa being dependable, I still have things in my life which are obviously not in my control.

My teshuva came after three great tragic events in my life. I was brought to faith through adversity...

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/10138

Faith Amidst Adversity
Nissan 5, 5771, 09 April 11 11:08
by Yaakov Weiland

(Israelnationalnews.com) Have you ever noticed that adversity either brings us closer to Hashem (G-d) or further away? A key determining factor is the depth of our faith; with deeply rooted beliefs, we can weather any storm. No one is born with faith; if we want rock solid faith, we need to develop it ourselves. Then, our beliefs will sustain us throughout life’s struggles, as the prophet Habakkuk says (Habakkuk 2:4), “…the righteous person will live through his faith.”

A fundamental belief of Judaism is that whatever happens to us is from Hashem, out of His love for us and for our benefit (Tractate Berachos 60b). This is not advocating passivity. We need to do what we reasonably can to improve our lives, including asking our Father for help. At the same time, we can learn to let go of insisting on specific outcomes. Each moment of our lives, our Creator gives us whatever we need to fulfill our purpose for that moment. If after reasonable efforts we do not get what we are after, then Hashem is saying, “My dear child, right now you can fulfill your life’s purpose with what I have given you.” 

A common misconception is that difficulties are bad and should be avoided. In truth, adversity is a growth catalyst like none other. Suffering can lead to clarity, crystallizing what is really important – coming close to Hashem, through Torah, prayer and acts of kindness. Adversity opens us up to a stronger connection with all three. Torah – hardship reduces our drive for many of life’s superficial pleasures; then, we can be drawn to the deepest pleasures – the sweetness of Torah study and the joy of living in oneness with Hashem and His Torah. Prayer – when we realize no one else can help us, we call out to our Father. Pain can propel us into His arms; the comfort and support we will feel there will enable us to get through the most trying circumstances. Kindness – hardship can make us more empathic, tearing down the walls that hold us back from being there for each other.

A flame – symbolic of the soul – is nourished by its fuel below; the flame transcends the fuel and reaches upwards. Similarly, each difficulty you transcend is fuel for your soul to reach upwards, to higher levels of closeness to Hashem. Take advantage of suffering to ignite in you a burning desire for Hashem: a thirst for His Torah, a longing for His company (prayer), and a yearning to do kindness to His children. Each challenge – during which you hold on to your faith – further illuminates the world, with the light of Hashem's glory your soul gives off. This will lead to the ultimate revelation of His glory – the building of the Third Temple – may it be today.

Questioning Why

When discussing suffering, the question arises, “How can x calamity possibly be an expression of Hashem’s love and for our benefit?” The fact that we are asking the question only about x calamity is one answer. Since we are not asking about every day of our lives – "where is Hashem's love?" – implies that the times we didnot feel His love were the exceptions and not the rule. There will be instances when we do not understand the mystery of His ways; after all, He is infinitely wise and we are not. View the times we did not see His guiding hand in context with all the times He was clearly present, providing and protecting us. The dark periods of our lives do not reflect a change in His involvement, rather, a change in our ability to perceive His providence.

Be prepared for when we cannot easily reconcile Hashem’s behavior with His love for us and utilize these opportunities, to strengthen our faith in Him; one of the purposes of life. The choice we make during adversity, whether to come closer to Hashem – believing in His love for us – or to move further away, is a defining moment of our lives. Not only does faith sustain us as mentioned above, faith and observances – physical declarations of faith – enable us to truly be alive and benefit from the opportunities of this world.

The reality is that even during difficult times, our Father has not abandoned us. We are always surrounded by His love; it is in the oxygen in our lungs, the warm clothes on our backs and the heat in our homes. Amidst adversity, His love is hidden. Nevertheless, search for fortifying glimmers; signs Hashem is with you – comforting and supporting you – in fulfillment of the verse (Psalms 32:10) “…but he who trusts in Hashem – with lovingkindness, He will surround him.”

No matter what happens in life, no matter what is taken away or never given, we can always have faith. We always have our Father’s undivided attention and love. Nothing can take those away.

Guided Hisbodedus

Talk to your Father and strengthen your connection to Him. Tell Him your problems and ask for His help; preferably, out loud and in your native language. This form of prayer – frequently called Hisbodedus – was popularized by the 19th century Chassidic master, Rebbe Nachman of Breslov. The following is a possible script to get started. After you ask Hashem the questions below, notice if any answers come to mind – immediately or at a later date; they are not necessarily Divinely inspired, but they are worthy of consideration:

Please Hashem, help me with___(say the issue). I’m having difficulty because___(describe how you are affected). Lately, I’ve been feeling___(describe your emotions). What can I do to feel___(describe how you want to feel)? Please___(ask for what you want), so that I can___(give reasons why).

What is a reasonable effort I can make to improve my situation? Who might be able to advise or assist me?

What can I learn from this suffering? How can I use this challenge to strengthen my connection to You and unconditionally accept Your will? Which behaviors distance me from You? How can I use this suffering to more easily shed them?

No one in history has had this unique combination of difficulties and life circumstances. No one has had the chance to elevate this situation as an offering to You. Until now. This opportunity is Your gift to me. Into this moonless night – only I can carry my faith in You. Into this period of darkness – only I will shine Your glory. Doing that will be my gift to You.

A compelling reason we can give Hashem to get rid of our problems, is that His help will enable us to fulfill our potential to come closer to Him. In reality, the way things are right now, is the optimal gateway – at least for the time being – to come closer to Hashem. Our Father wants us to ask for His help and make reasonable efforts to improve our lives. At the same time, He wants us to willingly walk the path He has cleared just for us; a path that leads right to His throne.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14