Author Topic: A movie called "The Help" - what did you think of it?  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
A movie called "The Help" - what did you think of it?
« on: December 25, 2011, 01:04:15 AM »
Anyone see this?  What are your thoughts on it?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: A movie called "The Help" - what did you think of it?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 04:38:25 AM »
Reading about it was enough to make me feel sick. Apparently they serve somebody a poop pie and this is supposed to be a good thing. Just nasty.

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 05:35:34 AM »
I know of the movie and refuse to waste a single second of my life to watch it.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 06:04:34 AM »
Many of my friends have recommended the book to me.  ::)
It sounds like it has a politically correct plot line.
Great for people who experience 'white guilt'.

I won't read the book or see the movie.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 06:37:52 AM »
I don't want to read that book either. I just read about the movie.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 01:38:36 PM »
Reading about it was enough to make me feel sick. Apparently they serve somebody a poop pie and this is supposed to be a good thing. Just nasty.

Lol, watching the film tho, that lady deserved it.  It was pretty funny.  But I was wondering more about the general themes of the movie if anyone has seen it (or read the whole book).

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 01:40:29 PM »
I saw this movie not knowing anything about it or ever hearing of it beforehand.  (Someone I know got it thru their subscription services).   Too bad it sounds like no one here has seen it to comment on it specifically.  Want to hear what other people think of it.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 02:19:43 PM »
Lol, watching the film tho, that lady deserved it.  It was pretty funny.  But I was wondering more about the general themes of the movie if anyone has seen it (or read the whole book).

Apparently it's just another movie to make white people look evil and black people look saintly.

Offline SharonD

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 02:23:07 PM »
I read the book and I found it simple-minded and PC.  The author, Kathryn Stockett, was embroiled in a lawsuit with her brother's former maid. The maid claimed the main character was based on herself, but she lost the suit. Stockett "has maintained that the character was based on Demetrie McLorn, her family's former maid who helped raise her." In any case, I wonder whether Stockett shared her profits w/Demetrie McLorn --as I'm sure a good Leftist re-distributor of wealth would.

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/17/the-help-lawsuit-dismissed/
http://www.oregonlive.com/books/index.ssf/2011/08/handwritten_note_from_author_f.html
~__/>
  /\ /\

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 07:16:42 PM »
Apparently it's just another movie to make white people look evil and black people look saintly.

Actually only some were.  There were also kind white people in the movie, and it also demonstrates dysfunction in black families.  You might want to watch the film.   Also, I'm wondering if what it depicts was a real phenomenon in mississippi back then.  Was it or wasn't it?  (For example the maids raising the white children - did that happen?)  Its depicting a very bizarre culture, I'm just wondering if its factual or not.   One thing one cannot argue with our facts, whether facts are called pc or not.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 08:56:46 AM »
Still not interested.  You can't unring a bell and there a two sides to the facts.  Children today are still being raised by nannies, sitters and maids.  I'm sure.  Some employers are kind, some are not.  That's life.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 10:39:49 AM »
Still not interested.  You can't unring a bell and there a two sides to the facts.  Children today are still being raised by nannies, sitters and maids. 

Well I think that's really perturbed.  Kids need actual parents.  Also, in the movie some of the women were so appalled by blacks that they wanted them to have separate bathrooms and not use their own toilet paper, but at the same time they were putting these same black women in charge of raising their babies, nurturing them changing them etc, and they themselves were raised in this manner by a black lady when they were a kid.  Imo That is a "culture" which makes very little sense.

Also the point about "some people are kind and some are not" is exactly a reason not to be afraid of the movie because there's already no danger you'll get the wrong impression.  But anyway I'm mainly just surprised at the way people lived then.  Was that particularly a southern thing?

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 07:40:29 PM »
I don't know anything about this movie but Hollyweird is never going to tell the truth about negroes.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 08:01:38 PM »
Did anyone see 'Gone with the Wind'? Even in that movie the servants were taking care of the children.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »
Did anyone see 'Gone with the Wind'? Even in that movie the servants were taking care of the children

It still goes on today.  It's not so different here in New York.  I have family that lives in Plainview, New York.  I would say it's an upper middle class community.  I'm sure that there are two working parents in a lot of those homes.  On any given morning you can see 'The Help' outside with the very young children.  Pushing them in carriages or outside for air.  'The Help' is generally a different skin color than the mostly white members of that community.
I bet 9 times out of 10 'The Help' is good enough to raise those children, but not good enough to invite to a family dinner.

The Help and Gone With The Wind were set in a very different time.  In a very different world.  I won't be judgmental about it.
If I ever get the chance to see The Help ( for free.  I'm not spending a dime to see it) Kahane-Was-Right BT.  I will try  to have an open mind.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 09:16:54 AM »
Isn't it horrible? You mean people were actually HIRED to do a job and paid for doing that job? The horror! Call Al Sharpton!  >:(

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »
LOL NOT AL!!

Offline ProJewGreekChristian

• Full JTFer
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 10:53:39 PM »

Right on. I know the book is about as evil as it gets. Yemach schma to the author
G-δ βlεss τhε Hεrοic Sεrβs---------G-δ βlεss the Diχiε Soυτh

ALL of Israel belongs to the Jews, G-d's chosen people!

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 12:49:13 AM »
Personally I don't see why anyone would want their kids raised by people outside the family unless the person being hired to do this is of a similar background... I hear quite a few stories now days where the child is speaking Spanish before English because the domestic help is of a Hispanic background.... This is the trade off that comes with allowing children to be raised in situations like this... People do hire domestic help to run their households if they have the means or need to do so... Most times the so called help has a few rooms off the Kitchen or service porch that they call their own...  Let keep things in prospective people like this are staff that are getting paid to do a job... There should be rules and guidelines set so the so called help knows whats expected of them... Unless the employer gives the help permission to use the residence as their own the help should restrict themselves to the spaces provided for them when it comes to their own needs... Help that whines that they are treated like help is sort of comical... They are getting paid to perform a service and should always keep that in mind...
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Angry Panther

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 10:18:39 PM »
Song of the South!

Uncle Remus, now that's my kind of "magical negro"!  ;D