Author Topic: I am thinking of moving to Houston, Jews from Houston please speak up...  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Daniel Michael ben Avraham

• Full JTFer
  • דניאל מיכאל בן אברהם
First of all let me say Shabbat Shalom to all!

I have been quite busy lately with many things on my mind.  I have been looking at the possibility of relocating to a different Jewish community for a variety of reasons.  The prime reasons being my desire to be in a city with a sizable Sephardic community and to provide a better Jewish education and experience for my boys.  I have friends in Houston and I have spoken to the local Rav that heads up the kashrut authority.  He gave me his opinion, but I was wondering if any JTF members could provide their input.  I believe Beth Rambam would be the esnoga we would join as I have been their for services and the people were very friendly.  The Rav literally came up and gave me a big hug the very first time he met me.  Today Rav Sasson has moved and they have a new Rabbi that had been part of the Torch organization for some time.  If anybody is able to provide opinions or information about the Houston Jewish community I would appreciate it.

Buenas entradas de Saba!
Daniel
The observant Jew has his own sense of values. Torah Judaism is his blueprint for this life, his target for existence.
מורנו הרב מאיר כהנא

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
It would be wrong for me to say where else in the Galut a Jew should live when really the most appropriate thing to tell a Jew to do is move to Israel...

If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

• Full JTFer
  • דניאל מיכאל בן אברהם
Dr. Dan, I completely agree.  That is ultimately my goal, but I have concluded that I can not reach that goal from my current location.  My wife and I have been trying to work towards that goal for some time now; unfortunately, I am not a wealthy person.  This will be part of the puzzle and I have to make the best of things until we reach that ultimate goal.

Thanks
The observant Jew has his own sense of values. Torah Judaism is his blueprint for this life, his target for existence.
מורנו הרב מאיר כהנא

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
New York and Los Angeles have big Iranian Jewish communities. 

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Make sure you don't get any low lying ground, there are areas that flood. Also make sure you don't end up in a barrio. A neighborhood can LOOK nice and suburban and yet at night be a totally different story with loud fiestas going on, gang fights, etc.

I'm sure there are Jewish people here but I rarely ever see anyone who is obviously or even probably Jewish. On the other hand Muslims are very common.

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
I've been out there in Houston a couple years back, there is a synagogue near rice university. It's on university place if I remember. The temple looks like a home rather than a Shul. Rabbi Eli is good to socialize with.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
I have relatives in Houston, not much of religious Jewish community there far as I recall

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
I don't know much about the Jewish community in Houston. On the Other hand I know that Dallas has a nice sized community and a Day School for Children. Other than that I can't fill you in on the details. I understand you can't move to Israel at this moment. But I'd advise you to check out Nefesh B'Nefesh in the mean time that way when you are ready you aren't starting from nothing.

Batzlacha
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

• Full JTFer
  • דניאל מיכאל בן אברהם
Just an FYI, I have been in touch with NBN.  As I explained things are not lining up right now, but they may do so more quickly in Houston.

I made contact with the Houston Jewish Community.
They have a website for those seeking to relocate to Houston: http://www.relocatehouston.org/

I know some people in Houston and I sent them my CV and cover letter.  I have seen if there are openings with my current employer in Houston.

We will see how things go.

BTW, there are no kosher orthodox synagogues close to Rice University that I know of.  The Jewish community is focused around the southwest part of Houston where the eruvim are located.
מורנו הרב מאיר כהנא

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
You pretty much have to drive everywhere here so be prepared for that. You either have to drive, or take a very long walk to get where you need to go.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
New York and Los Angeles have big Iranian Jewish communities.

Yes, Los Angeles for sure.  However, we have a growing percentage of Iranian Muslims as well.