Author Topic: Quinoa, buckwheat Kosher for Passover?  (Read 10735 times)

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
Quinoa, buckwheat Kosher for Passover?
« on: April 10, 2012, 01:38:29 PM »
I read different, quite opposing things on the Internet regarding quinoa and buckwheat. Some Ashkenazi Rabbis say they are OK. Some say they are not OK. (I do know that it would be OK for Sephardim to eat these).

So, what is your opinion or the opinion of your Rabbi? Does your family eat them?

Offline Painter

• Senior JTFer
Re: Quinoa, buckwheat Kosher for Passover?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 05:24:41 PM »
From what I understand buckwheat is not ok and is considered kitniyot. Quinoa is ok as it's not a true grain but is related to beets and spinach. Hope this helps.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:31:51 PM »
I obviously can't answer your religious question but a true cereal grain is seed of a grass species. Buckwheat and Quinoa are not grasses and are not true grains but instead would be considered to be pseudocereals.

Common true cereals are wheat, oats, rice, corn, barley and millet but there are others.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 06:36:01 PM »
From what I understand buckwheat is not ok and is considered kitniyot. Quinoa is ok as it's not a true grain but is related to beets and spinach. Hope this helps.

Painter, thank you. Buckwheat is also not a grain botanically. And I have understood that some Ashkenazi Rabbi do allow buckwheat. But, I guess, the majority of Rabbis do not. I might have quinoa for lunch tomorrow. I am suffering from the acid reflux from all the matzo. I don't tolerate wheat, but am craving something "bready."

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 06:38:10 PM »
I obviously can't answer your religious question but a true cereal grain is seed of a grass species. Buckwheat and Quinoa are not grasses and are not true grains but instead would be considered to be pseudocereals.

Common true cereals are wheat, oats, rice, corn, barley and millet but there are others.

Oh, thanks. I didn't actually know millet is a "true cereal." Millet, buckwheat, and quinoa don't usually give me acid reflux (if I don't overeat). So I assumed that millet was not a cereal either.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 06:45:14 PM »
There are certain grains that cause more problems for people than others do and some that don't tend to cause problems to people who are sensitive.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 06:49:41 PM »
At least this year nobody is posting pictures of Chametz Pizza.... Baruch Hashem!

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 06:54:34 PM »
At least this year nobody is posting pictures of Chametz Pizza.... Baruch Hashem!

Funny thing actually.  Passed by a pizzeria which coinsidently was near a deformed and deconstructed temples, offering matza pizza. 
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:44:09 PM »
I read different, quite opposing things on the Internet regarding quinoa and buckwheat. Some Ashkenazi Rabbis say they are OK. Some say they are not OK. (I do know that it would be OK for Sephardim to eat these).

So, what is your opinion or the opinion of your Rabbi? Does your family eat them?

I eat quinoa, in fact I had some last night.  Some of my friends also eat it.  It was served to me by one of my yom tov lunch hosts in fact.  Quinoa is not one of the grains that becomes chametz.  In the middle east, it wasn't even known that quinoa existed.  Some modern day ashkenazi rabbis have tried to turn quinoa into a new subset of "kitniyos" that would be forbidden to ashkenazim on pesach.  With due respect I think those rabbis do not know what they are talking about.  Aside from the fact that kitniyos is invalid as a custom and has no real source (afterall, the Talmud permits rice on Pesach), assuming for a minute that kitniyos prohibition custom is valid and pretending america is poland, that custom is only relevant to the foods they as a rule avoided and did not eat in the european places where the custom originated.  This is why I think most rabbis do not try to link quinoa to the prohibition.  Its also why many ashkenazim eat peanuts on pesach even though some mistakenly think peanuts are kitniyot and therefore forbidden (actually maybe the majority mistakenly think its forbidden because everyone wants to be frummer than the Jones's and adopt every possible stringency.  The Jews in Russia ate peanuts in pesach, as rabbi isser Zalman Melzer attested.  Anyway I think its very clear quinoa is permitted - it is not even kitniyos - and the actual forms of kitniyos (like rice for example) are most definitely not chametz and can be eaten but, you know, consult your rabbi and all that.

I do not know what buckwheat is so I cant comment on it.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 09:44:07 AM »
I had a tuna salad with quinoa today. It's been several hours, and I feel fine. Didn't have any matzo today. Usually, I just LOVE matzo brei for breakfast. It's so filling, and really hits the spot for me. My nucleaus accumbens says "yes, yes, give me some matzo brei," but my body is saying no.

Interesting about peanuts. I always thought that peanuts are a form of legumes, and legumes are forbidden during Pesach.