Author Topic: Simchat Torah (Torah Joy) : The Holiday of Dancing  (Read 2069 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Simchat Torah (Torah Joy) : The Holiday of Dancing
« on: October 07, 2012, 01:53:37 PM »
Here Rabbi Richman, of the Temple Institute, gives a very comprehensive talk on the relationship of Sukkot, Simchat Torah, V'Zot HaBracha & Beresheit/Genesis...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Simchat Torah (Torah Joy) : The Holiday of Dancing
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 02:27:38 PM »
Rabbi Richman spoke mainly about the concept of yearning for closeness to Hashem and how it relates to the Torah cycle. It is not a coincidence that yesterdays Torah reading, and the Aliyah I was given, contains the events after the Sin of the Golden Calf when Moses was beseeching Hashem for forgiveness. I had the third aliyah, which is below:

Third Reading:

20. And He said, "You will not be able to see My face, for man shall not see Me and live." 21. And the Lord said: "Behold, there is a place with Me, and you shall stand on the rock. 22. And it shall be that when My glory passes by, I will place you into the cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with My hand until I have passed by. 23. Then I will remove My hand, and you will see My back but My face shall not be seen."

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1019856/jewish/Text-of-Shabbat-Chol-Hamoed-Torah-Reading.htm

Moses truly yearned to be close to Hashem, and he was granted a vision which no other prophet was granted.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 02:31:10 PM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 02:36:07 PM »
This guy seems too happy to be believed.... Maybe...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 10:02:23 PM »
Video of the Simchat Torah celebrations in the Cave of the Patriarchs in Hevron:

Jews rejoiced with the Torah in Isaac's Hall (Ulam Yizchak) in Hevron on Monday night for a second round of Hakafot, an Israeli tradition that combines identifying with the Diaspora's Simchat Torah night and the added festive atmosphere of live bands and sound systems at the dancing, forbidden on the holiday itself.

The celebration was the first of its kind at the site in many years.

Ulam Yitzchak is the main hall of the Cave of the Patriarchs (Me'arat Hamachpela) and it has been closed to Jews since 1994, Dr. Baruch Goldstein opened fire on Muslim worshippers in the hall, killing 29,before he was killed by Arabs present in the hall.

Although an investigation proved that Goldstein acted alone, ever since the incident, the hall is opened for Jews only on specific dates in the Jewish calender. For the first time, the 2nd Night Hakafot was added to these designated days.