Author Topic: Saudi Wedding Goes Electric  (Read 530 times)

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Saudi Wedding Goes Electric
« on: October 31, 2012, 11:49:32 AM »
What a cheerful event.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/at-least-23-killed-in-saudi-arabia-by-electrocution-following-wedding-celebration/
AT LEAST 23 KILLED IN SAUDI ARABIA BY ELECTROCUTION FOLLOWING WEDDING CELEBRATION

Tragedy struck at a wedding Tuesday night in Saudi Arabia. During a marriage celebration in the eastern part of the country, at least 23 people were killed – mostly women – and some 30 injured when an electric cable was knocked down by celebratory gunfire.

Al Arabiya reports:

The disaster occurred when a high voltage power line fell down and touched the metal door of the house where the wedding was being held, according to sources from the Saudi Civil Defense.
In line with traditions in the Gulf, wedding celebrations in Saudi Arabia are segregated.
Most of the casualties were women, and they died as they attempted to escape through the electrified metal door, the Civil Defense sources told Al Arabiya.
Many of the victims were electrocuted as they attempted to leave the building, the Saudi-based news website Sabq reported.
A photograph of the aftermath of the accident, published on local newspapers’ websites showed a large courtyard strewn with fallen chairs and a pole in the middle supporting cables carrying lightbulbs.
AP reports: “Saudi Arabia’s ultraconservative codes require genders to be separated at most public events, including weddings.”

The tragedy occurred near Abqaiq, the main center for Saudi Arabia’s lucrative oil industry. According to Al Arabiya, 25 were killed.

Celebratory gunfire is a common occurrence at weddings the Middle East – especially in rural areas – though according to Al Jazeera, Saudi Arabia banned the shooting of firearms at weddings last month.

Injuries from the practice are not unprecedented. TheBlaze last year reported that 20 Palestinians were injured from celebratory gunfire after Israel released prisoners back to Gaza. Bullets and shrapnel ended up hitting revelers in the head, face, neck and thigh.

In the wake of the repeated demonstrations of celebratory gunfire during the Libyan revolution last year, TheBlaze examined how errant gunfire – even when fired in joy – can be very dangerous.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Saudi Wedding Goes Electric
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 12:31:32 PM »
I read this as 'Steven Weigang' goes eccentric.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 01:50:35 PM »
Their sand ape ancestors have already informed them in goran that electricity falls from the skies on the evil apes.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 02:06:54 PM »
I read this as 'Steven Weigang' goes eccentric.
Oh funny these things happen to me often, that I read different words then what are actually written. It can be funny sometimes.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 03:26:04 PM »
Oh funny these things happen to me often, that I read different words then what are actually written. It can be funny sometimes.

Unfortunately it has caused me to forgo any career that deals with numbers. I have numeral dyslexia. High school math was so bad that my 11th grade teacher agreed to pass me on condition that I never take another math course in my life.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »
Unfortunately it has caused me to forgo any career that deals with numbers. I have numeral dyslexia. High school math was so bad that my 11th grade teacher agreed to pass me on condition that I never take another math course in my life.
Oh tough. I have a milder dyslexia and my reading is a little slow and with errors but not too bad, and I am pretty good with numbers.