Author Topic: DC comics introduces 'transgender' bat girl  (Read 1008 times)

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
DC comics introduces 'transgender' bat girl
« on: April 11, 2013, 04:46:10 PM »
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/04/transgender-dc-comics-batgirl/

DC Introduces First Transgender Character in Mainstream Comics
BY LAURA HUDSON04.10.139:30 AM

Once banned from the world of mainstream comic books by the infamous Comics Code Authority, LGBT characters now have a stronger presence in the world of superhero comics than ever before, with gay and lesbian heroes like Batwoman, Northstar and Green Lantern Alan Scott openly declaring who they are — and even getting married. Today, DC Comics told Wired that it will continue to expand the LGBT diversity of its superhero universe by introducing the first openly transgender character in a mainstream superhero comic.

In Batgirl #19, on sale today in both print and digital formats, the character Alysia Yeoh will reveal that she is a transwoman in a conversation with her roommate, Barbara Gordon (aka Batgirl). Taking care to distinguish Yeoh’s sexual orientation from her gender identity, Batgirl writer Gail Simone noted that the character is also bisexual.

Simone attributed the inspiration for the character to a conversation she had with fellow comic book writer Greg Rucka several years ago at the Wondercon convention, after a fan asked why there were fewer gay male superheroes than lesbian ones. Rucka, who co-created (and rebooted) Batwoman as a lesbian character, replied that it would be a real sign of change for a gay male character to appear on a comic book cover — and an even bigger step for a transgender character to do the same.

“I looked out into the audience, saw dozens of faces I knew well — LGBTQ folks, mostly — all avid comics readers and superhero fans and DC supporters,” said Simone. “And it just hit me: Why was this so impossible? Why in the world can we not do a better job of representation of not just humanity, but also our own loyal audience?”

Simone suggested the story to DC Comics Co-Publisher Dan DiDio at lunch one day, prepared to offer a passionate defense for the idea of a transgender character. ”I thought I might have to sell it, so to speak,” said Simone. “But he just paused for a moment, asked how this would affect Barbara’s story, and immediately approved it. And we went back to our excellent nachos.”

Still, Simone believes that diversity isn’t just a continuing issue for superhero comics: “It’s the issue for superhero comics. Look, we have a problem most media don’t have, which is that almost all the tentpoles we build our industry upon were created over a half century ago… at a time where the characters were almost without exception white, cis-gendered, straight, on and on. It’s fine — it’s great that people love those characters. But if we only build around them, then we look like an episode of The Andy Griffith Show for all eternity.”

She added that she thinks most superhero comics readers don’t have a problem with increased diversity, but rather with stories that promote sermonizing over storytelling. Alysia will be “a character, not a public service announcement … being trans is just part of her story. If someone loved her before, and doesn’t love her after, well — that’s a shame, but we can’t let that kind of thinking keep comics in the 1950s forever.”

Although Alysia Yeoh may be the first ongoing transgender character in a mainstream superhero book, Simone notes that there have been transgender characters before in independent comics and mature readers titles; and even in the Marvel and DC superhero universes, several characters have achieved gender-fluidity through fantastical means like magic, shape-shifting, brain-swapping, and cloning. “Those characters exist [and] that’s great, but I wanted to have trans characters who aren’t fantasy-based. And I feel like there’s a lot there yet to do.”

To that end, Simone says she will add another transgender character to a different comic that she’s writing — though she can’t talk about which one. “It’s time for a trans hero in a mainstream comic. I think it’s time to make that thing happen that Greg [Rucka] mentioned years ago. And it’s going to happen … I’m sure it’s controversial on some level to some people, but honest to God, I just could not care less about that. If someone gets upset, so be it; there are a thousand other comics out there for those people.”

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: DC comics introduces 'transgender' bat girl
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 04:48:45 PM »
I think I will be rooting for the villains for now on.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 08:41:13 PM »
I thought they claims superman was going gay... That would be awful. This itself is pretty pathetic..

This character should be called 'Bat-It' rather than BatGirl..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 09:56:42 PM »
I thought they claims superman was going gay... That would be awful. This itself is pretty pathetic..

This character should be called 'Bat-It' rather than BatGirl..

The article says it's one of batgirl's friends that's the transgender one, not batgirl herself, at least so far.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 09:57:33 PM »
I learned a new liberal speak word from this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisgender

Wow, I guess "normal"  or "not sick" are no longer good enough terms.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 10:22:45 PM »
What is gender studies? I also found this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_studies

Offline Deer Man 420

• Full JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 10:55:44 PM »
This video is so sad and i feel bad for the father. But he makes a really pretty girl.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 12:50:10 AM »
Poor child is very mentally ill.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 09:30:23 AM »
I learned a new liberal speak word from this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisgender

Wow, I guess "normal"  or "not sick" are no longer good enough terms.
Don't let them dictate the terms and the definitions. When you let them do that you lose the argument.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 12:42:35 PM »
What a faggot. He has a boy's voice. He just looks like a girl.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 12:51:34 PM »
The parents of that child should be put in jail.  They are destroying that boy's life...  When boy's are that young... they are impressionable... and sometimes end up maturing slower than others... and evil leftists can take advantage of this.

Ive seen this before with a lesbian couple that adopted a boy... and  'respected' his decision to dress like a girl... they even gave him an androgynous name... just to ensure he would grow up maladjusted.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 01:18:18 PM »
This video is so sad and i feel bad for the father. But he makes a really pretty girl.

He will make one man happy one day.  And then that man will commit suicide when he realizes that he was with a man and not a woman.... Just sayin
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 02:12:20 PM »
In stories of the X-men, these 'mutants' with powers etcetera were usually outcasts and considered freaks.
This is why gays and lesbians 'identify' with this fictional superhero world.

All men are heroes in dreams? I gues gays and lesbians are too.