Author Topic: the JTF health and fittness thread  (Read 15001 times)

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: the JTF health and fittness thread
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2013, 09:01:59 AM »
Today I ate pomegranate that I had picked off right from the tree in my yard. This year they have ripened early. Pomegranate is one of the healthiest fruits there are. It is very tasty IMO, but opening it up is somewhat tedious work.
They are quite expensive when if you buy them in the store... Having a tree like that would be nice to have... Sadly I don't think they would do well here in New York... We have some fig trees here that should be in a warmer climate however they seem to be a tree that is adaptable to the weather here. Some of the old timers use to cover them with tarps during the winter to help them survive colder weather... The trees seem to do well even if left uncovered.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2013, 09:52:14 AM »
Wow, that is really something.... Does that really work as easy as it's shown in the video?
No it is less elegant then they show. First of all when you cut it in half inevitably you get some of the seeds punctured and Juice leaking, then the hammering crush a few more but the dome keeps the splash contained. However allot of the white membrane also ends up inside the bowl so you need to sieve it out. It still takes less time and effort then manual opening.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2013, 10:02:27 AM »
They are quite expensive when if you buy them in the store... Having a tree like that would be nice to have... Sadly I don't think they would do well here in New York... We have some fig trees here that should be in a warmer climate however they seem to be a tree that is adaptable to the weather here. Some of the old timers use to cover them with tarps during the winter to help them survive colder weather... The trees seem to do well even if left uncovered.
Here they aren't too expensive when in season which is only a few months. 100% Bottled Juice is mostly imported and more expensive.

Figs are among my favorite fruits as well. I like the ones that have red cores and are not over-riped I don't like them too sweet and soft.

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2013, 10:08:56 AM »
today ive had a Banana, an apple, but not had my fav yet which is strawberries. Ill be getting some later.

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2013, 10:33:15 AM »
My dad made a delicious fruit smoothie for me yesterday, but he still does not want to be Jewish.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2013, 11:02:30 AM »
Here they aren't too expensive when in season which is only a few months. 100% Bottled Juice is mostly imported and more expensive.

Figs are among my favorite fruits as well. I like the ones that have red cores and are not over-riped I don't like them too sweet and soft.
The trees here are the ones that have the red cores... It started off being one tree but we transplanted it some years back along a fence and it has become almost like a hedge that runs for about 15 or so feet... I use to be low enough to get the figs while standing on  the ground but it has got to the point where the best ones need to be taken from the higher branches with a step ladder... Years ago my grandfather had a yard with about 15 or 20 large fig trees he use to have one tree that had huge white figs that seemed to have less seeds in them then the red type did... I don't recall ever seeing that type fig anywhere else... In a few weeks the figs here should start becoming ripe and then the trees give about 15 or 20 a day for a few weeks... There would be more however the birds need to get their fair share also.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2013, 11:10:46 AM »
No it is less elegant then they show. First of all when you cut it in half inevitably you get some of the seeds punctured and Juice leaking, then the hammering crush a few more but the dome keeps the splash contained. However allot of the white membrane also ends up inside the bowl so you need to sieve it out. It still takes less time and effort then manual opening.
I thought so...  Also the  Pomegranate they used seemed to be prime specimens with very little membrane... Still the thing seems to do the trick which is quite amazing considering how hard it is to pick them apart by hand... Some times the stores here have them on sale for a bit over a dollar or so and I will buy a few... 

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2013, 11:50:42 PM »
Wow, that is really something.... Does that really work as easy as it's shown in the video?

You dont really drink 8 cups of coffee a day, right?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2013, 01:30:55 AM »
My dad made a delicious fruit smoothie for me yesterday, but he still does not want to be Jewish.

Bummer... Maybe one day he will when he realizes how good it has been for you.

My father was not a religious guy, but about 2 years before he passed away he saw my Teshuva and my Jewish observance and he told me before he died that it brought him to do Teshuva. I hope you have a beneficial influence on your father.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2013, 03:50:16 PM »
We all need to eat right and healthy, get plenty of exercise, and maintain our health, keep the weight down.  Only God knows whats coming under this regime.  The ole slogan applies.."You are what you eat."

Offline CorrieDeservedIt

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2013, 01:50:35 PM »
I maintain my weight by using my Bicycle as a mode of transportation and avoid a bus if I can walk it (or have the time to)
Recently I've replaced tortilla chips and salsa with Carrots and Hummus. I drink huge cups (32 ounces) of water on a regular basis when I'm home to keep my metabolism up. I do have unhealthy tendencies such as energy drinks and coffee, I drink black coffee also with no milk or sugar and never or rarely drink calorie filled drinks. I never make time apart to exercise.

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2013, 03:24:56 PM »
I maintain my weight by using my Bicycle as a mode of transportation and avoid a bus if I can walk it (or have the time to)
Recently I've replaced tortilla chips and salsa with Carrots and Hummus. I drink huge cups (32 ounces) of water on a regular basis when I'm home to keep my metabolism up. I do have unhealthy tendencies such as energy drinks and coffee, I drink black coffee also with no milk or sugar and never or rarely drink calorie filled drinks. I never make time apart to exercise.

good stuff, im trying to get into dried fruits as a healthier snack.

Im having a Tomato soup with onions. Im adding cumin and tumerick. With it im having prawns with spinich

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2013, 10:52:54 PM »
Careful with the dried fruits.  Some of them have added sugar. 

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2013, 01:07:08 PM »
Ive even bought lip screen factor 50, and  wear a hat everywhere...

Did anyone see the item that sleep replenishes a certain brain cell??here it is...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23932577

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2013, 07:02:42 PM »
My diet: I drink 100% columbian organic coffee in the morning. Take my natural probiotics everyday. I replaced conventional cereals, vinegar, bread, ketchup, mustard, popcorn with all natural non-gmo products or any artificial ingredients. No meat consumption at all. Exercise daily, jogging, drink 5 bottles of spring water a day on average.

Vegetarian now for 3 months and shaved off 8 pounds! My kitchen is a home made garden.

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2013, 01:43:05 PM »
ive been trying to eat a lot more green foods lately, peas, beans, etc.

What you guys opinion on Dark Chocolate?, reckon its healthy or not?

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2013, 03:42:56 PM »
I think dark chocolate is not junk food but still it is a calorie bomb full of fat.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2013, 05:21:32 PM »
I eat an ounce a day (70% cocoa).

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2013, 06:06:54 PM »
I think dark chocolate is not junk food but still it is a calorie bomb full of fat.

Portion size makes a big difference. A small amount of baking chocolate added to oatmeal makes it tastes really rich without adding very many calories.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2013, 12:19:30 PM »
Has anyone tasted Goji Berry (wolfberry) ? It's a much hyped berry that's supposed to be very rich in anti-oxidants and have various health benefits. Unfortunately it's pricey. I ordered for myself a package from ebay. It taste weird, there is a sweet and sour main flavor accompanied by some sort of a mildly bitter weird after-taste. Altogether it's definitely edible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goji

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »
Since most people don't eat enough fruits and vegetables coffee can be the biggest source of antioxidants they get all day. Cutting that out while not improving the rest of the diet can actually harm people.

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2013, 12:47:26 PM »
My favorite health foods are baked Kale and Artichokes boiled then the hearts stems and outer leaf eaten and the 'tea' drank.

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2013, 02:44:14 PM »
My favorite health foods are baked Kale and Artichokes boiled then the hearts stems and outer leaf eaten and the 'tea' drank.

'tea' drank ? Is that like "purple drank"?

:jump:

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2013, 04:44:09 PM »
I LOVE kale!

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2014, 06:50:18 PM »
My goal lately is to cut down on red meats. Not that I ate a lot of them, but I do like my steaks etc. So fish, turkey and chicken is my main port of call from now on.