Author Topic: Video Study for Parsha Tetzaveh : Aaron HaKohen's Duties  (Read 3035 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Video Study for Parsha Tetzaveh : Aaron HaKohen's Duties
« on: February 06, 2014, 12:44:26 AM »
Shalom JTF Reader,

This week we are reading the Torah portion of Tetzaveh, Exoduc 27:20-30:10, and it contains a description of the various tasks the Kohen (Priest) is to perform in the Holy Sanctuary and the clothing he must wear. The Kohen is to light the Menorah every day, from evening till morning...

Once again this portion is pretty technical with only a few commandments which speak to me. One thing to note is that the name of Moses is not read a single time, his name is completely absent from Tetzaveh. The sages explain this fact by pointing out that in next weeks portion Moses, when Hashem contemplates destroying the entire nation, asks Hashem to remove Moses from the book (The Torah) if G-d does not forgive the people of Israel. From this the sages learn that when a completely righteous individual (A Tzadik) says something, it will come true (regardless of any conditions mentioned). We should take from this that we should not say something unless we really mean it, otherwise it may be used against us in the future.

From Chabads Parsha in a Nutshell:

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/1320/jewish/Tetzaveh-in-a-Nutshell.htm
G‑d tells Moses to receive from the children of Israel pure olive oil to feed the “everlasting flame” of the menorah, which Aaron is to kindle each day, “from evening till morning.”

The priestly garments, to be worn by the kohanim (priests) while serving in the Sanctuary, are described. All kohanim wore: 1) the ketonet—a full-length linen tunic; 2) michnasayim—linen breeches; 3) mitznefet or migba’at—a linen turban; 4) avnet—a long sash wound above the waist.

In addition, the kohen gadol (high priest) wore: 5) the efod—an apron-like garment made of blue-, purple- and red-dyed wool, linen and gold thread; 6) the choshen—a breastplate containing twelve precious stones inscribed with the names of the twelve tribes of Israel; 7) the me’il—a cloak of blue wool, with gold bells and decorative pomegranates on its hem; 8) the tzitz—a golden plate worn on the forehead, bearing the inscription “Holy to G‑d.”

Tetzaveh also includes G‑d’s detailed instructions for the seven-day initiation of Aaron and his four sons—Nadav, Avihu, Elazar and Itamar—into the priesthood, and for the making of the golden altar, on which the ketoret (incense) was burned.

Once again I will start the thread with the latest posting from Rabbi Richman from the Temple Institute:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Video Study for Parsha Tetzaveh : Aaron HaKohen's Duties
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 01:05:13 AM »
Now for a longer talk, from Rabbi Spalter of Chabad in Weston, FL... I believe he will be talking about the aspect of this portion, the lack of Moses name...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 02:15:58 AM »
Very interesting Torah thoughts from Rabbi Spalter...

Here is Rabbi Cassouto from Breslev's 'Schut Shel Chesed' Yeshiva...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 02:28:08 AM »
A short one from Rabbi Trugman...

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 02:33:16 AM »
Wonderful posts again.

I just bought "Rebbe Nachman's Torah" so I look forward to leading Tetzaveh with Rebbe Nachman's commentary. :)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 02:47:26 AM »
Thank you so much IsraeliHeart... Where did you get this sefer? From Breslev.co.il? http://www.breslev.co.il/

Remember that this year is a leap month (Adar I) and Purim falls in the 2nd Adar... So Purim is a little more than a month away... (This year Purim falls on Mar 16, 2014)...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 02:57:42 AM »
Though we do celebrate a 'Small Purim' called Purim Katan this year on February 14th (starts the evening of the 13th)...

http://www.hebcal.com/home/121/purim-katan

Purim Katan is a rare guest that deserves special attention. In the 19-year cycle of regular and leap years we have nineteen Purims, but only seven Purim Katans. We must truly utilize it for special activities.

There’s a strong connection between Purim and Purim Katan. The Mishnah teaches: “There is no difference between the first Adar and the second Adar, but the reading of the Megillah and the distribution of gifts to the poor.” (Megillah 6b)

Otherwise, both Purims are the same, with Purim Katan being first!

The theme of both is Jewish victory over enemies: “And it turned about: the Jews gained the upper hand over their adversaries.” (Esther 9:2). So much so, that: “Many from among the people of the land professed themselves as Jews.” (ibid 8:17). Others were overcome with the “fear of the Jews,” and deferred to them because “The fear of Mordechai had fallen upon them”. (ibid 9:3)

Purim Katan, too, carries this influence of evoking and eliciting the assistance and cooperation of the nations for the Jewish people.

In 5687 (1927), the previous Rebbe said the Maamar, “V’kibel Hayehudim” on Purim Katan, in the largest synagogue in the capital city of Russia, before a huge crowd. He didn’t consider the dangers, and exhibited superhuman self-sacrifice.

The Maamar discusses the reaffirmation of Kabollas HaTorah of the Jewish people, in the time of Mordechai. This came through the self-sacrifice of Mordechai for the Torah studies of the small children. Their Torah and self-sacrifice nullified the decree: “Out of the mouths of children and nursing babies You fashioned an invincible might… to end foe and avenger.” (Tehillim 8:3). Education of children is necessary for Jewish existence.

As you educate the child so he grows and develops and will teach his children, and they, their children, forever. The dedication to educating the young generation was the essence of the reaffirmation in Mordechai’s tiem, with an eternal force, so that “The remembrance shall not perish from their descendants” (ibid 9:28)

The “children and nursing babies” referred to in the Maamar are infants. The foundation given such young children, e.g., when their mothers sing to them lullabies about the greatness of Torah, sets the foundation for their upbringing and destroys the enemy.

The previous Rebbe stressed the importance of Jewish education and didn’t show fear of the enemy, emphasizing that the work for Jewish education would destroy the enemy. In fact, he explained, those who were foes would become allies and assist in the holy work. All of Torah would be reaffirmed in the broadest possible way.

Thus, the lesson of Purim Katan: If there arises “a foe and avenger” against Yiddishkeit, Torah and Mitzvos, not only must we not lose hope, but we must increase our activities in all areas of Yiddishkeit. Start with establishing the “invincible might” (through raising infants and babies to all aspects of Torah), which ends the foe. In fact, just a “Many from among the people of the land professed themselves Jews,” during the redemption of Purim, the foe is transformed, and assists in spreading Torah.

This leads to the ultimate redemption. First we reach the redemption of Purim, when Mordechai became great and the condition of the Jews improved. (Soon after the miracle of Purim, work on the Beis Hamikdash started again in the days of Darius.) Then we bring close the redemption of Purim and Pesach to the ultimate redemption.

May all these forces be utilized properly, to become a partner with HaShem, to reach the level of “Ad Lo Yoda”, beyond understanding and measure, which is the theme of Purim, but is even stronger on Purim Katan, because of its rarity.

May this all bring to action, from now into the future, from the redemption of Purim Katan to the true and ultimate redemption! (Sichah, Purim Katan, 5746)

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 02:59:40 AM »
I got it as a Kindle download on Amazon. But now I see I could have gotten the entire set on the Breslev site. I don't have a Kindle or an "e-reader" but I have an app that lets me download and read ebooks on my pc. I'm so happy :)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 03:06:25 AM »
I got it as a Kindle download on Amazon. But now I see I could have gotten the entire set on the Breslev site. I don't have a Kindle or an "e-reader" but I have an app that lets me download and read ebooks on my pc. I'm so happy :)

Very nice... I have a Kindle app on my tablet (Android) but I don't have any books for it. I use my tablet to read the news in the morning and my email but not for much else. I still prefer actual printed material to read. It looks like that Rebbe Nachmans Torah is very interesting, I would be interested in hearing how you like it.

Meanwhile, here is Rabbi Machlis in Jerusalem, the always hospitable and friendly host of Torah classes.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 01:38:37 AM »
It looks like that Rebbe Nachmans Torah is very interesting, I would be interested in hearing how you like it.

It's amazing!!!!!