Author Topic: Story of Joshua  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
Story of Joshua
« on: March 30, 2014, 10:18:19 AM »
What is your opinon on the story of Joshua?  I know he took over for Moses at the end of the Ten Commendments movie, but I don't know much about him.  How many of you know of his story?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Story of Joshua
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 01:41:25 PM »
Shalom Joe,

All religious Jews should know his story, it is part of the Torah (Tanakh) in the section called Naviim/Prophets.

Here is a link to the Book of Joshua @ http://www.chabad.org/library/bible.asp?aid=15749

But for a 'refresher' on the story of Joshua, I quote from Chabad.org's synopsis of him:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/129625/jewish/Joshua.htm

Joshua was born as Hosea ben Nun in Egypt, in the year 2406 from creation (1355 BCE); like Moses, he was hidden in the Nile after birth to escape Pharaoh's decree that all newborn Hebrew males be drowned in the river. For forty years, he was Moses' faithful disciple, "who did not budge from [his master's] tent" (Exodus 33:11; Joshua thus represents the trait of devotion and commitment -- one of the five primary prerequisites to the acquisition of the wisdom of Torah).

In 1312, he was one of the twelve spies dispatched by Moses to scout the Land of Canaan in preparation for its conquest by the Children of Israel; it was then that Moses added the letter yud to Hosea's name, changing it to "Joshua" ("G-d will save") as a prayer and empowerment that "G-d shall save you from the plot of he Spies." Joshua was one of the two spies who brought a positive and encouraging report of the Promised Land, and tried to counteract the efforts of the other ten spies to dissuade the people from entering the land.

Upon Moses' passing in 1273, Joshua succeeded his master as the leader of the people of Israel. Under his leadership, they crossed the Jordan River on Nissan 10 of that year. For seven years, Joshua led the people in battle, defeating 31 kings and conquering their cities and territories, which comprised the bulk of the land west of the Jordan (Moses had conquered the lands on its eastern bank before his passing). For seven years after that, Joshua oversaw the process of dividing the land amongst the 12 tribes of Israel and allocating a portion to each family. He passed away on the 26th of Nissan, 2516 (1245 BCE), at the age of 110 years.

In addition to his roles as leader and warrior, Joshua was the second link in the chain of the transmission of Torah, receiving it from Moses and passing it on to the "Judges" who succeeded him.

And here a more detailed discussion of the history of Joshua:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/111849/jewish/Joshua.htm

Joshua, the successor to Moses and conqueror of the Land of Israel, was born in the year 2406, and lived 110 years. His leadership of his people lasted for 28 years. He belonged to the tribe of Ephraim.

Joshua was the first in the line of traditional transmission of the Oral Law, receiving it direct from Moses and transmitting it to the Elders of Israel. He was also the first leader of the Jews upon their own land.

He led the Jews in the great battles against the 31 kings that ruled in the Land of Canaan, and defeated them all with G-d's help.

Joshua began his leadership after the thirty days mourning period following the death of Moses. On the 7th day of Nissan Joshua received G-d's command to prepare the children of Israel for the crossing of the Jordan, three days later.

Before crossing the Jordan, Joshua sent an "ultimatum" to the kings of the Land of Canaan, giving them three choices: Those willing to evacuate the land could do so, and he would not pursue them; those willing to remain and make peace with Israel on such terms as not to endanger the spiritual and religious life of the Jews, would receive his peace terms; finally, those desiring nothing but war, would be fought in the name of G-d who had promised the land to Abraham for his children for ever.

Of the different tribes that inhabited the Land of Canaan at that time, only one chose to leave peacefully and another asked for peace. The remaining 31 kingdoms prepared for battle.

The Spies: Joshua selected two brave and faithful men, Caleb and Pinchas, to cross the Jordan and find out what the feeling across the Jordan was with regard to the impending war.

The spies, disguised as potters, crossed the Jordan and reached Jericho, the first fortified city on the other side of the Jordan. Right in the wall of the city was built a house in which there lived a woman called Rahab. She was an innkeeper and a woman of renown in whose inn the nobles of Jericho frequently met.

The king of Jericho received news of the arrival of two spies sent by Joshua, and he sent word to Rahab to have them delivered to his soldiers. Being a woman of character and honesty who considered her duty to protect her guests at all costs, Rahab hid them among the stalks of flax on her roof. She told the king's messengers that two strangers did come to her inn, but they looked like potters and sold earthenware. Nobody took any notice of them, and before the gates of the city were to be closed they left.

Having disposed of the king's messengers, Rahab went up to the roof and told Caleb and Pinchas that all the inhabitants of the land were in terror of the children of Israel, having heard of the miraculous way they defeated the mighty kings of Sihon and Og. "And as soon as we had heard it, our hearts did melt, and there did not remain any more spirit in any man, because of you; for G-d your G-d, He is G-d in heaven above and on earth beneath!" she told them honestly and sincerely. Then Rahab begged them that just as she had saved their lives, so should her life and the lives of the members of her family be saved when Jericho should fall into the hands of the children of Israel as fall it surely must.

The spies promised it to her on oath. Rahab let them down by a rope through the window which was overlooking the plain of Jericho outside the city walls. After hiding on the way for three days the spies reached the camp of Israel safely and reported on their mission, which brought great cheer to all the children of Israel.

Crossing of the Jordan: On the 10th day of Nissan the children of Israel crossed the Jordan. First the priests, bearing the holy ark, stepped into the Jordan. The Jordan at that time of the year was deep and overflowing, but no sooner did the feet of the priests touch the water, than the water of the Jordan was divided and stood up like a huge wall, which grew higher and higher as the water streamed down from the upper Jordan. The bed of the river was dry and the children of Israel crossed it comfortably. When the last Jew was already on the other bank of the river, the priests came out too, and the Jordan returned to its natural state.

Joshua's Prayers in Gilgal: The place where the Jews encamped on the western bank of the Jordan was named Gilgal, and Joshua erected there a monument of twelve stones taken from the bed of the Jordan to commemorate the great miracle of the crossing. Here also they erected the Mishkan which remained there during the entire 14 years of the conquest and partition of the Land of Israel.

On the 14th of Nissan they offered there the Paschal sacrifice-for the first time upon the soil of the promised land, and on the 16th day of Nissan they duly brought the 'Omer', and thereafter they ate of the produce of the land. (The manna had stopped on the day of Moses' death on Adar 7th, but their last portion lasted them until the 16th of Nissan).

Here in Gilgal an angel of G-d appeared before Joshua bringing him a message of good cheer and courage, but at the same time rebuked him for the neglect of the study of the Torah during the siege of Jericho. Even when a Jew is on a journey, or on the path of war, he must always avail himself of every free minute for prayer and worship and for the study of the Torah. Joshua fell on his face to the ground and prayed, and immediately set out to call upon his people to study the Torah more and harder.

And on every fast day, when we say Selichoth and pray for G-d's forgiveness and mercy, we mention that solemn occasion in the Gilgal when Joshua's prayers were accepted, praying, "He who answered Joshua in Gilgal may answer us...

Joshua's Farewell: When Joshua felt that his task was well nigh done, and he was about to part from his beloved people, he gathered around him the Elders of Israel, the Sanhedrin and chieftains of each tribe, and gave them his last advice and instructions with regard to the leadership of Israel, which they were to assume after him.

Then he called a great national assembly in Shechem to bid farewell to his beloved people. He recounted to them the whole history of Israel from the days of Abraham, and urged them to remain firm in their allegiance to G-d and to the Torah. Among his final words were these: "Choose you this day whom you will serve, as for me and my house, we will serve G-d!"

And all the people answered unhesitatingly: "G-d forbid that we should forsake G-d! We shall forever remain faithful to our G-d and our Torah!"

Then Joshua made a covenant with the people, and set up a huge stone as a monument and witness of the Jews' firm determination to serve G-d and observe the Torah and commandments. This took place in the year 2516, on the 26th year of Joshua's leadership, and two years later, at the age of 110 Joshua died and was buried in his own estate in Timnath-Serach, in mount Ephraim.

I hope this is interesting and helpful in your learning of the great Jewish Prophets & Judges...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 03:41:35 PM »
Is the extent of your knowledge of Judaism (or perhaps "judaism" since hollywood depiction is merely for entertainment) really what was written in a movie?   That is a sad state of affairs.  I highly recommend that you attain a copy of the 5 books of Moses (also known as Torah), and read it cover to cover so you will know the real story instead of a hollywood movie script.  There you will get some intro to Joshuah in the 5th book, and the first book of the prohets (after the Torah) is the book of Joshua so you can learn all about him there.   You do yourself an injustice not to at least see the basics straight from the source.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 04:05:16 PM »
He basically was the guy cleaning Moshe's tent from what I heard. Moses wanted one of his sons to take over, but Hashem said that Joshua was faithful, and had proven many good traits by being a loyal servant, so Hashem chose him as the new leader. Then he went out and totally kicked butt.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 05:15:17 PM »
Is the extent of your knowledge of Judaism (or perhaps "judaism" since hollywood depiction is merely for entertainment) really what was written in a movie?   That is a sad state of affairs.  I highly recommend that you attain a copy of the 5 books of Moses (also known as Torah), and read it cover to cover so you will know the real story instead of a hollywood movie script.  There you will get some intro to Joshuah in the 5th book, and the first book of the prohets (after the Torah) is the book of Joshua so you can learn all about him there.   You do yourself an injustice not to at least see the basics straight from the source.

That's why he didn't know about Moses. He thought Moses should have married an Egyptian princess like Queen Esther and King Achashverosh to save the Jews. Esther was forced into marriage with him and Haman only started to target the Jews after they were married.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 10:25:09 PM »
Is the extent of your knowledge of Judaism (or perhaps "judaism")
Hahaha that was the funniest thing I've seen all day.  :laugh: :::D

Joe, pick up your Bible, and read it. Joshua is one of the heroic and most righteous heroes of the faith.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 10:42:58 PM »
Joe obviously doesn't know Torah. .. We shouldn't pounce on him...
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 11:30:10 PM »

I agree Ephraim... Not everyone is as knowledgeable about the Torah as many of us are.

We should attempt to assist him in learning.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 11:39:26 PM »
I agree Ephraim... Not everyone is as knowledgeable about the Torah as many of us are.

We should attempt to assist him in learning.

If someone asks us a Torah question, are we obligated, within reason, to try and help him?

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 11:39:54 PM »
  Yep learning Torah through movies isn't a good idea. This happens often even with people learning Torah here and their. I had someone in my family argue on a point once by what he saw in the 10 Commandments movie. Its a great movie, but its not accurate. Movies also have a strong and lasting impression upon people especially the visualization so I guess when its not accurate it confusing some people who took and take it as being the representation of the real facts.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 11:40:34 PM »
If someone asks us a Torah question, are we obligated, within reason, to try and help him?

If we have the answers (or can direct them to them) why not?
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 12:25:43 AM »
  Yep learning Torah through movies isn't a good idea. This happens often even with people learning Torah here and their. I had someone in my family argue on a point once by what he saw in the 10 Commandments movie. Its a great movie, but its not accurate. Movies also have a strong and lasting impression upon people especially the visualization so I guess when its not accurate it confusing some people who took and take it as being the representation of the real facts.

Yes, you express a point I have made numerous times. I would not recommend anyone see the 'Noah' movie because I know a) it is an adaptation of the Christian idea of Noah, and b) it has the ability to poison a persons interpretation of the Torah. I have seen absolutely no production movie which captures the brilliance of the Torah story in accordance with the Jewish oral tradition. They always add in an element of fantasy and drama which do not have scriptural sources.

I avoid Torah story movies for the most part...

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 08:45:58 AM »
I know of the story of Joshua.  I was just asking because I have never seen anyone here talk about him.  It's mostly about Moses and not Joshua.  I mean he took over after Moses left to answer God's call after the 40 years in the dessart.  I was just wondering why no one here was ever talked about Joshua.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 11:19:05 AM »

I always imagined the Torah being given at night because of the movie. But the Torah was actually given during the day. Also, I remember seeing a clip of the end of the movie on YouTube and its said the Jews wandered in the Desert for 40 years because of the Golden Calf. The real reason is because of the Sin of the Spies.

I've never seen the whole movie. It's really long and when I saw it, I just saw the parts starting with leaving Egypt when it was on TV. I'd like to see the whole thing one time. I guess when I was younger, I didn't have the patience to see the whole long movie. If you know the real Torah account, I don't think watching the movie would be a problem. If you watch the movie at a young age without knowing the real story first, your imagination of how it looked is shaped by the movie. As an adult who studied the real Torah account, there's no problem watching it. On the other hand, modesty issues pose a different problem when watching movies. But if we watch TV shows that have immodest parts, is it any worse? Maybe it would be worse since it's in the name of the Torah that they have immodest scenes.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:55:26 PM by Binyamin Yisrael »

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 02:34:23 PM »
"I always imagined the Torah be given at night because of the movie. But the Torah was actually given during the day."

;D , so did I until about a minute ago.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 02:38:26 PM »
"I always imagined the Torah be given at night because of the movie. But the Torah was actually given during the day."

;D , so did I until about a minute ago.
I didn't know, but one of Muman's lectures he posted from the temple institute talks about darkness and why Torah was given during the day.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 05:21:03 PM »

Who pounced?  Nobody did.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 05:57:38 PM »

Well you might have.

Offline Rafoe

• Global Moderator
  • Full JTFer
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 07:40:51 PM »
Joshua was the first leader who began the work of the land of Israel's conquest.
As a child I remember he was my favorite character. Always did what the Almighty has commanded. Never asked questions.
Joshua is the only character other than Moses that the Bible calls "the servant of God".

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 07:58:55 PM »
I didn't say anyone was, I just didn't want it to turn in that.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 08:39:14 PM »
I didn't say anyone was, I just didn't want it to turn in that.
"Pounced" or not, KWRBT was funny. There was nothing wrong with telling him to pick up a Bible and read it.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 08:41:04 PM »
"Pounced" or not, KWRBT was funny. There was nothing wrong with telling him to pick up a Bible and read it.

There was something wrong, in my opinion. When someone asks a question one should not be derogatory in the answer to the question. By doing so the person may be intimidated from asking another question.

Also I missed the 'humor' in the response..

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 08:46:21 PM »
A true Chossid is one who learns Torah in order to teach others. Every Jew has a part of the Torah, and every Jew has the responsibility to teach others the Torah he has learned. Every Jew should be inspired to learn the Torah and not intimidated from doing so (from fear of looking stupid).

http://www.torah.org/learning/pirkei-avos/chapter6-646-47.html

Not Without a Fight

Ways 46-47

Chapter 6, Mishna 6

"Torah is greater than priesthood and kingship, for kingship is acquired with 30 qualities, priesthood is acquired with 24, whereas the Torah is acquired with 48 ways. These are: ... (46) making one's teacher wiser, (47) precisely quoting what one has heard..."

This week's first quality, "making one's teacher wiser," means that the Torah student sharpens his teacher's skills. This is because the good student opposes his teacher with a steady barrage of questions and challenges, most trivial and piddling, but occasionally one profound and challenging. The teacher is thus forced to explain and re-explain the Torah in the manner his students can best appreciate -- to transform his personal perspectives on Torah wisdom into knowledge accessible to all. And this is the result of the students' incessant prodding and probing. We learned earlier, "A bashful person cannot learn" (2:6). The true Torah student sincerely wants to makes sense of the Torah -- and is willing to shame himself in his drive to achieve this goal.

(How often do we at Torah.org receive questions with the intro: "I really should know this already, but..." or "I'm sure this is a stupid question, but..."? Rather than being amused at my students' inexperience and naivete, I find no greater joy than seeing a student sincerely seeking, who is more concerned with finding truth than his own "looking stupid." I personally take much greater satisfaction knowing I have inspired one student to ask for himself than simply knowing I have x thousand students passively reading my classes. (OK, with my schedule it takes me a good while to find the time to answer, but the questions I like.))

The difficulty of transmitting Torah from teacher to student is not merely a matter of pesky questions on the part of the students. There is a more profound dilemma here. No two individuals are alike. Each one has his or her own perspectives on life and wisdom -- and so will relate to the Torah just a little bit differently. Spanning the gap from teacher to student requires far more than the transmission of knowledge, repeating texts and cases verbatim. It requires explaining the Torah, the possession of the teacher, and making it the possession of the student. The Torah must now make sense to *me*, the student -- and that is a different feat for every single Jew.

Thus, the good student will constantly aggravate his rabbi with questions -- some hardly sensible to his exasperated teacher -- attempting to translate his teacher's teachings into lessons he can relate to himself. The Talmud writes that the student who manages to get his teacher angry at him (and who of course humbly accepts his teacher's rebuke) will ultimately achieve greatness in Torah (see Brachos 63b). Paradoxically, at that point -- when your teacher can take you no longer -- you have probably made the Torah your own and are ready to move on.

http://www.torah.org/learning/jewish-values/geneivas-9.html

This week we continue our discussion of certain situations where geneivas daas may be permitted. There are even times when it is a Mitzo to flatter people, and praise them, attributing qualities that they do not have, or to lie in order to encourage them. This can be the case with one’s students or children, in order to encourage them in their learning, and performance of Mitzvos, and so that they will listen to his rebukes. This is discussed in the famous ethical work, ‘Orchos Tzaddikim’. Also, the Gemara in Shabbos (31a) tells of how Hillel converted a non-Jew who wanted to convert on condition that he would then be the Kohen Gadol, or that he would just learn the written Torah, because Hillel knew that after the would convert, he would change his attitude. The Gemara in Bava Metsia (85a) tells of how Rebbe praised the son of Rebbe Elazar and called him ‘Rebbe’, so that he would return to the correct path. This strategy succeeded.

Therefore, it is proper for a Rebbe to give more credit to a student’s question, than it really merits. The same applies for a father with regards to his son. We see this with Hillel (Shabbat, 31a) who responded to stupid questions saying, “you have asked a good question”. Similarly, every teacher and parent should show the strengths of their student or child. Usually, in order to do this, one must praise him more than he really deserves at this point in time.