Author Topic: Shame of the Jewish State : Selling Chometz in Jerusalem on Passover?  (Read 1938 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
It is stories like this which make me ashamed to be a Jew. When I see that Chometz is being sold in Jerusalem on Passover it makes me sad. This is not a Jewish state which cannot keep the basic commandment to not possess chometz during the seven days of Passover.

One day Jerusalem will shine proudly it's Jewishness. One day, hopefully soon, a new light will emerge from Zion and the world will be ready to accept the WILL of Hashem as a yoke... But it seems it is not today...

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/179768

Jerusalem Inspectors Shut Down Old City Bread Carts
Jerusalem inspectors have closed down dozens of food carts in the Old City where chametz was being sold.
By Yosef Berger

Jerusalem city inspectors in recent days have closed down dozens of food carts in the area of the Old City's Jaffa Gate where chametz – bread and other leavened products – were being sold. Non-Jewish Druze inspectors closed down about 20 of the stands on Shabbat, after the city received hundreds of complaints about the public display of chametz.

While Israeli law does not prohibit anyone from consuming chametz – indeed, there are numerous restaurants in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and other cities where Passover laws are not kept – it is illegal to publicly display bread and leveaned items out of doors, out of sensitivity to the Jewish majority. That includes areas where many non-Jews live and shop, such as Jerusalem's Old City, which has a large Muslim population, and this weekend was inundated with Christian tourists in the country for Easter. Hundreds of thousands of Jews have also been visiting the Old City, fulfilling the commandment of aliyah laregel, which entailed Jews' praying on the Temple Mount when the Temple stood.

Aryeh King, a member of the Jerusalem City Council and the head of the Jerusalem United party, said that he approved of closing down the food carts, even if they were owned by Arabs, and non-Jews were their only patrons. “The public space must remain chametz-free,” said King. “Arabs cannot be allowed to display their wares in the Old City as hundreds of thousands of Jews who care about keeping kosher pass by on their way to the holy sites in Jerusalem. I am happy that this year we have gotten a great deal of cooperation from the municipality on enforcing the laws against public displays of chametz.”

King said that he would continue working to enhance the holiday spirit for Jews who visit Jerusalem for the festivals. “On Sukkot, we plan to introduce a special discount card for those who visit the city,” he said.

In a statement, Yizhar Hess, chairman of a group that represents Conservative Judaism, called the law against public display of chametz “a bad law that forces non-Jews to act as Jews. It is a racist and mean-hearted law. Aryeh King may encourage seizure of chametz, but it is the municipality that is responsible for the enforcement. What would happen if the city of Paris would limit the sale of matzah by Jews? It is King who must remove the chametz from his heart,” Hess said.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Shame of the Jewish State : Selling Chometz in Jerusalem on Passover?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »
I think this Yitzar Hess is acting like a self-hating Jew. Every Jew (let alone a chairman of 'Conservative Judaism') he knows that a Jew is not permitted to even look at Chametz, let alone have any in his possession. It says that there shall be no Chametz in your boundaries, and if Jerusalem is the Holy City under possession of the Jewish people, there shall be no chametz found within the city limits. And to compare our Holy Torah to the law in Paris, France (the antisemitic capital of Europe) this Rabbi has a couple of screws and nuts loose in his noggin.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 02:56:52 PM »
From Parsha Bo (Shemot/Exodus 13:6-8)

6. For seven days you shall eat unleavened cakes, and on the seventh day, there is a festival for the Lord.
7. Unleavened cakes shall be eaten during the seven days, and no leaven shall be seen of yours [in your possession], and no leavening shall be seen of yours throughout all of your borders.
8. And you shall tell your son on that day, saying, "Because of this, the Lord did [this] for me when I went out of Egypt."

From Parsha Re'eh (Devarim/Dueteronomy 16:3-5)

3. You shall not eat leaven with it; for seven days you shall eat with it matzoth, the bread of affliction, for in haste you went out of the land of Egypt, so that you shall remember the day when you went out of the land of Egypt all the days of your life.
4. And no leaven shall be seen with you within all your border for seven days; neither shall any of the flesh you slaughter on the preceding day in the afternoon, remain all night until the morning.
5. You shall not sacrifice the Passover offering within any of your cities, which the Lord, your God, is giving you.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 03:28:50 PM »
Why shame? King shut them down and its [censored] the hellinists  off
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 03:38:19 PM »
Good. They should do the same in December and ban public X-mas trees in the Old City.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 04:12:09 PM »
Why shame? King shut them down and its [censored] the hellinists  off

The shame is that it happened at all... First that the Jewish authorities did not properly enforce the law for so long... Second that there are non-Jews who are not aware of this prohibition...

It is good that they shut it down, but it is already the end of the Chag almost...

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 04:31:32 PM »
The shame is that it happened at all... First that the Jewish authorities did not properly enforce the law for so long... Second that there are non-Jews who are not aware of this prohibition...

It is good that they shut it down, but it is already the end of the Chag almost...

What about in Arab towns that no Jews go to or live in?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 05:13:42 PM »

What about in Arab towns that no Jews go to or live in?

In my opinion it is not a problem in a non-Jewish town. But technically all of Israel is the 'boundaries' of the Jewish people, and if a true Torah Jewish state existed, I think no Chametz within the entire borders of Israel. But today I think it should be OK in a non-Jewish town by non-Jews.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 01:57:39 PM »
Don't be ashamed to be a Jew.  Be ashamed at Jews who practice Chilul Hashem on a regular basis.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 02:27:44 PM »
Who was operating these bread vending carts?  It would be pretty sick if the vendors were Jews. 

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 10:47:50 PM »
In my opinion it is not a problem in a non-Jewish town. But technically all of Israel is the 'boundaries' of the Jewish people, and if a true Torah Jewish state existed, I think no Chametz within the entire borders of Israel. But today I think it should be OK in a non-Jewish town by non-Jews.

What about selling your chametz to a Non-Jew before Pesach? Can that be done in Israel?

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 10:52:27 PM »
Who was operating these bread vending carts?  It would be pretty sick if the vendors were Jews.

Anyone who has gone there and has the appearance of a tourist knows that the smelly Arabs start trying to sell things to tourists. For example, I went there on class trips from Hebrew University and an Arab approached the group and said "Do you want to go shopping?". Once I bought Coca-Cola outside Dung Gate (near the Kotel) and it turned out that it was an Arabic Coca-Cola can from Ramallah.

Also, in 1999, the first time I went to Rachel's Tomb but before the wall was built separating it from the Arab occupied town of Bethlehem, some stupid Arab forced my dad to buy some ugly Arab jewelry. He just gave it to my dad and was trying to force him to buy it. My dad gave it to my mom and sister and they didn't like it anyway. Who would want ugly Arab nonsense?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:52:46 PM by Binyamin Yisrael »

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 10:57:12 AM »
Shame on the Jewish state?  The state's inspectors just shut down illegal chametz operations duriing pesach according to this article.   Sounds more like shame on individual Jews who don't respect the chagim or don't know enough about them?

I don't see your religious utopian America shutting down reform jews who transgress.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 10:59:07 AM »
Why would this story make you "ashamed to be a Jew?"  How is that evven possible.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 11:01:22 AM »

What about selling your chametz to a Non-Jew before Pesach? Can that be done in Israel?

Obviously it is done by many people in Israel and has nothing to do with what muman is talking about.