Author Topic: Maya Angelou Dies At Age 86  (Read 506 times)

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Maya Angelou Dies At Age 86
« on: May 28, 2014, 03:11:13 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/28/us/maya-angelou-obit/

I remember in 5th Grade the teacher talked about her when Bill Clinton had her speak at his inauguration. We watched the inauguration live in the library. That was the first time I saw an inauguration. Of course they taught us about blacks and diversity. I guess because February was UMM HMM month a few weeks later.

Many years later (Almost 10 years.) I heard JTF speak of her in the episode about the black "poets". Chaim talked about her after discussing Imamu Baraka. It's funny how all these people die around the same time. Chaim said she made a poet about the honkeys. "You honkeys, you honkeys. You gonna squeak your eyes out you honkeys. My man's gonna get you, you honkeys and when he be squeezin' your testicles, my man's gonna get you you honkeys.". Then Chaim remarked that when she said "'when he be squeezin' your testicles you honkey', Bill Clinton winsed. I don't know why. Maybe it brought back memories.". He said that she was Bill Clinton's favorite poetess. I don't remember the exact quote of the poem Chaim quoted because it's Ebonics nonsense but I remember the squeak your eye and the part about the testicles.