Author Topic: Is Rand Paul really a supporter of Israel?  (Read 810 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Is Rand Paul really a supporter of Israel?
« on: July 04, 2014, 07:52:23 PM »
Shalom,

Shabbos starts in three hours here... Just came across this interesting article. I am, along with others at JTF, very leery of the Paul family considering Ron Paul was such a critic of Israel. But it seems Ron Pauls son Rand is beginning to show some pro-Israel support. Currently his words seem to favor allowing Israel to act as it needs to act in order to eliminate the terror threat within it's midst. As opposed to the 'restraint' which the obama administration is cramming down our throats, Rand Paul is advocating a 'disproportionate response' which is what many of us are calling for, elimination of the enemy so there will be no future attacks.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/04/like-father-not-like-son-sen-paul-amplifies-pro-israel-message/?intcmp=latestnews

Like father, not like son? Sen. Paul amplifies pro-Israel message
Published July 04, 2014
FoxNews.com

From his criticism of the Federal Reserve to his mean libertarian streak, Sen. Rand Paul is certainly his father's son.

But on the issue of Israel, the Kentucky Republican falls far from the tree. Or at least, he'd like voters to think so.

The first-term senator -- whose father Ron Paul was a staunch critic of America's Israel policy and seen in some circles as outright hostile to the Jewish state -- has in recent months taken a distinctly different attitude toward the U.S.-Israel relationship.

He visited Israel in January 2013. He calls himself an Israel supporter.

And after the tragic abduction and killing of three Israeli teens in the West Bank, Paul has ratcheted up those statements of support even more.

"Let's stand with Israel," Paul told Fox News this week.

In response to the deaths of the Israeli teens, the senator who often rails against military intervention showed a hawkish side, in a blistering column that would have been unimaginable coming from his father.

In the column, published in the National Review, he criticized the Obama administration for issuing -- alongside offering its condolences -- a call for restraint.

"How many times must Israel hear this call?" Paul wrote. "Children are murdered -- please show restraint. Cafés and buses are bombed -- please show restraint. Towns are victimized by hundreds of rockets -- please show restraint while you bury your dead once again.

"I think it is clear by now: Israel has shown remarkable restraint. It possesses a military with clear superiority over that of its Palestinian neighbors, yet it does not respond to threat after threat, provocation after provocation, with the type of force that would decisively end their conflict. But sometimes restraint can work against you. Sometimes you just have to say, enough is enough."

In Washington, Paul, a potential 2016 presidential candidate, is now renewing the push for a bill that would effectively cut off aid to the Palestinian government.

Paul introduced the Stand with Israel Act in late April, calling for a halt to U.S. aid to the Palestinian government unless they meet certain conditions like recognizing Israel's right to exist and renouncing terrorism -- steps unlikely to happen if a unity deal between Hamas (which controls the Gaza Strip) and Fatah (which controls the West Bank) holds.

Though the teenagers' deaths are under investigation -- and both sides are clashing over the death of an Arab teenager, allegedly at the hands of Israeli extremists -- Paul argues that U.S. aid could soon be going to those who perpetrated the abductions.

"Most Americans would be appalled if they knew that American tax dollars could soon be going to Hamas," he told Fox News, saying he plans to press the matter again in the Senate next week.

"I will fight tooth and nail to make sure that no money ever goes to Hamas," he said. "Israel's being attacked on a daily basis by Hamas."

Paul has spoken out against foreign aid in virtually all forms during his four years in the Senate, and previously slammed aid to Israel as well. But he has since modified that position, calling for the U.S. to first suspend aid to countries and entities hostile to U.S. interests, and eventually wean Israel off the Washington spigot.

The senator's father, a longtime Texas congressman and three-time presidential candidate, spoke out against U.S. aid to Israel as well. But he also repeatedly voted against Israel on the floor, including opposing a 2009 resolution recognizing Israel's right to defend itself against attacks from the Gaza Strip during the Gaza War. He was the only Republican to oppose that resolution.

His son's column this week in the National Review took the opposite stance.

Some are skeptical of Paul's Israel stance and his latest Palestinian aid cutoff bill, which have been the subject of numerous columns in American and Israeli media. The statements from the younger Paul come as he and an already-crowded potential field of in-demand Republicans weigh whether to run for the White House in 2016.

While Paul is burnishing his foreign policy chops, so is the man seen as his closest contemporary, and perhaps rival, Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas.

Cruz traveled to Israel earlier this year. Cruz also took a swipe at Paul during an interview in March with ABC News.

"I'm a big fan of Rand Paul. He and I are good friends. I don't agree with him on foreign policy," Cruz said. "I think U.S. leadership is critical in the world."

Paul, in response, told Fox News that Cruz was "mischaracterizing" his views.

"I've always been a big fan of peace through strength," Paul said.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Is Rand Paul really a supporter of Israel?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 07:58:41 PM »
בס''ד

Rand Paul has been an enemy of Israel his whole life. He's a vicious Jew-hater just like his evil father. Just a few months ago, he said in effect that we should accept a nuclear Iran - even Obama and Kerry don't say that.

Now that Rand Paul is running for President, he writes an article to pretend that he is not an anti-Semite.

Give me a break.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 08:00:36 PM »
בס''ד

Rand Paul has been an enemy of Israel his whole life. He's a vicious Jew-hater just like his evil father. Just a few months ago, he said in effect that we should accept a nuclear Iran - even Obama and Kerry don't say that.

Now that Rand Paul is running for President, he writes an article to pretend that he is not an anti-Semite.

Give me a break.

I do believe that it takes more than a single article to demonstrate that you are pro-Israel.

At this time I favor Cruz but I still have doubts as to whether he will survive the GOP primaries.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 10:30:07 AM »
Of course not. He just want votes.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 08:00:57 AM »
If Rand Paul is pro-Israel then I am a Shiite Muslim.

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 02:04:12 PM »
Chaim,  I'm posting this article as it relates to my ' Ask JTF' question.   While I'm no fan of Rand Paul and hope he leaves office ASAP,  it seems to me that AIPAC and their media PR from the likes of Jennifer Rubin are even more dangerous:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2014/05/02/rand-pauls-phony-pro-israel-bill/

Right Turn

Rand Paul’s phony pro-Israel bill

By Jennifer Rubin May 2    

When Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) introduced his bill to cut off all aid to the Palestinian Authority and remove all executive discretion, we immediately saw the problem. This was not because of some unique insight or some high-level source. It is widely known among Israel watchers and activists that the PA cooperates extensively with Israel on anti-terrorism measures. A bill that left no wiggle room for such pro-Israel efforts was going to be problematic. I had an extensive discussion with Rand Paul’s senior adviser Brian Darling and then wrote a blog post explaining this. After that blog post I had more conversation with a senior Rand Paul adviser who said that Rand Paul would be happy to look at such concerns. This was all a starting point for dialogue.

Then one of the most respected Israel experts, former deputy national security adviser for the Middle East Elliott Abrams (who engineered an agreement on settlements and helped forge a close relationship between Israel and the U.S.), wrote a piece explaining:

Why is this not smart legislation? Among other things, it is not smart because it would force a cut-off of any U.S. assistance to the Palestinian security forces.

Under Yasser Arafat, those forces, at that time thirteen in all, were disorganized, totally corrupt, and wholly politicized; the late Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon used to call them “terror-security forces.” But since Arafat’s death in 2004 the United States has made a major effort to professionalize those forces. American generals have led efforts to train them, at bases in Jordan, and they have worked with American security and intelligence officials.

Perhaps more significantly, this effort has paid dividends in valuable cooperation against terror between Israeli and Palestinian forces. . . . If the Palestinian forces that we have trained stop cooperating with Israel, or start winking at Hamas terrorism, we should cut them off. Until that happens, a cut-off is foolish and possibly dangerous. Whatever the intent of Sen. Paul’s legislation, it is certainly no help to Israel.

And the American Israeli Public Affairs Committee let it be known it did not like the bill for precisely the reason we explained. An AIPAC source told me, “We are not supporting the Paul bill. We believe the law currently on the books is strong and ensures that aid is contingent on key conditions that help maintain America’s influence, keep Israel secure and advance the peace process. AIPAC supports a cut off of aid to any Palestinian government that includes an unreformed Hamas, and this is what is provided for in current law.”

Understanding all this, one or more senators denied Rand Paul unanimous consent for his bill. His attempt to regain credibility with pro-Israel Republicans was dashed.
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/