Author Topic: NEWS SITE ALERT: Our site will be down for several hours in the near future  (Read 3177 times)

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
בס''ד

When we put up our new news sites, our forums and our main pages will be down for several hours.

G-d willing, this will occur in the next few days.

We apologize for this inconvenience but unfortunately we cannot make these major changes without taking down the site for a short period of time.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Chaim,

Thank you for alerting us. Sometimes when the site doesn't load people get nervous and anxious. Now that we know this we wont get the shpilkies when the site doesn't load..

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/shpilkes
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline davinci

• Junior JTFer
I am sure it will be a great site! I am looking forward to using it!  :)
Jews make the desert bloom, Muslims make the desert boom
Allahu-snack-bar!

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
Will you provide a link for the page.

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
בס''ד

Attention: We will be bringing our site down tonight for several hours in order to upload our new news sites - one in English and one in Hebrew G-d willing.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
The new website is up. Thank you for your patience.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
That "become a member" tab with options should be at the bottom to indicate you're confident they'll join after they see the site, or with very flashy colors and pretty marketing text with exclamation points after exiting texts talking about an aspect of joining that is easy. The way it feels is the same thing "if you agree with this message (not if you're just interested now), then join" does. Shut up when your product sells itself. Oversell and people run, and in this case, people coming to look for a distraction from their miserable lives don't want to see someone else asking something from them, or they'll be more likely to run.

Also, just because liberals do it, doesn't make it cool. Poll questions should be more "neutral", and make people think, not be "whose side are you on" questions, because 1. it feels completely insincere, 2. People will realize that they are just wasting time in their miserable day, and not feel like they just did a prestigious poll on the news that affects anything, 3. It doesn't give you any information of value to you, other than "do those that visit my website agree with me", which doesn't really matter anyways, as long as they come. Instead, an example of a poll question that makes people think that what is going through their head matters is like "Do you believe Israel should wait for aid in destroying Iran's nuclear bomb making program." Still has all the lovely bias, making it equally not a question, but a statement, but this way most people will be too dumb to realize they're being dicked around.

I had other things to say too, but I'm like in a blood rage right now, and want to be away from my one semi-valuable possession.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
great job shlomo
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
great job shlomo

Agreed.

Anyone who pampers you after a job is hurting you though. Other problem, scroll down to to box feed, and the text is not in boxes, which is not a noticeable problem for the first two, but after that it becomes a mash of information, and will be very hard for low-attention span people to concentrate. Also the [...] things are annoying, and useless unless they're a link to the rest of the article.

Everything else is user-friendly, the last marketing psychology problem I can see is that the edges should have darker colors to direct the eyes naturally to content in the middle, which is fine on the two sides, but the white background for the logo on top doesn't really direct you down. That's really the smallest of problems that could arise in that category, but I find a black backdrop as appears here is very effective, and if you use the orange-yellow as here, it would work for the bicep logo.

The search feature is excellent for the organization of the results that appear.

One question: what happened to everything that was on the old page? Not worth an archive file for?

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
another option for the "Become a member" box is the giant empty space to the left of the black navigation panel after the Hayamin link.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: NEWS SITE ALERT: Our site will be down for several hours in the near future
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 03:23:40 AM »
Agreed.

Anyone who pampers you after a job is hurting you though. Other problem, scroll down to to box feed, and the text is not in boxes, which is not a noticeable problem for the first two, but after that it becomes a mash of information, and will be very hard for low-attention span people to concentrate. Also the [...] things are annoying, and useless unless they're a link to the rest of the article.

Everything else is user-friendly, the last marketing psychology problem I can see is that the edges should have darker colors to direct the eyes naturally to content in the middle, which is fine on the two sides, but the white background for the logo on top doesn't really direct you down. That's really the smallest of problems that could arise in that category, but I find a black backdrop as appears here is very effective, and if you use the orange-yellow as here, it would work for the bicep logo.

The search feature is excellent for the organization of the results that appear.

One question: what happened to everything that was on the old page? Not worth an archive file for?
Pampering.  I think job well done is deserved here.  You can see the tremendous amount of work that went into the new sites.  Arm chair quarterbacking is the easy part.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 08:51:07 AM »
The modification is very good.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 08:54:39 AM »
It's great
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 01:48:29 PM »
Actually yeah the black on white of the logo isn't catchy enough. That's a great representation of the logo to have on a t-shirt, but it needs official colors. Everyone likes official colors since the tribes got their flags. Make it black on another color.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 08:36:52 AM »
So glad about this....we can always use the facts in our decisions....many are so tired of the media, they only cover the things that the left wants to get out there.