Author Topic: Memories of 1987  (Read 698 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Memories of 1987
« on: February 04, 2015, 01:47:26 AM »
Shalom,

I would like to share a flash-back of 1987 with everyone. Those who don't like my 'music' threads can skip this and move on. But those who have the time and the desire to spend 54 minutes watching a flash-back to 1987 with the Grateful Dead.

Let me inject a personal note here. The Grateful Dead started to play together as the Grateful Dead in 1965. This is the year I was born. I just turned 50 last week and the Dead recently announced that they were playing their final show, their 50th anniversary show in Chicago. I have not seen any shows in over 10 years (last 'The Dead' show I saw was in 2005). And before that I hadn't seen a show since 1994... But in a sense I wish I could see the final show.

Time moves on, but we have our memories... I saw over 30 shows in a little less than 10 years (1986-1995). The Grateful Dead broke up in 1995 after Jerry Garcia died from a heart attack. I remember that day as I took the day off of work because I was so upset. I did attend a hastily arranged memorial event at Griffith Park in Los Angeles.

I saw the dead in 1987 at Irvine Meadows...

I did see Dylan & the Dead but I did not have tickets. I spent the show in the parking lot...

(PS: I realize that in those days I saw shows on Fridays (Shabbos) but that was LONG before I did Teshuva)

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Memories of 1987
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 02:24:06 AM »
The Dead traditionally played a 'New Years' show on Dec 31 of the year. In 87 they played at Oakland Coliseum.

I saw a birthday show in Oakland in 93...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 02:31:26 AM »
I gotta admit that I could be considered a 'Touch-Head' in that I started to see shows about the time they came out with 'Touch of Grey'. But I believe I saw 2 shows before the album was released. Anyway, it doesn't matter much. Touch of Grey is an enduring Grateful Dead song today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadhead

In the Darkers – also known as "Touchheads" (a reference of the album for the former and the single for the latter), these fans "dissed the fragile ecosystem" of a Grateful Dead show, in the words of Jackson. This led to "wiser" Deadheads, with the backing of the band, to mail SOSs and hand out show flyers telling people to "cool out."[16]

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 02:43:29 AM »
Alright, a couple more then I quit.... I hope nobody is bored...

Jerry played masterfully on the acoustic guitar (along with many stringed instruments)...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 03:05:44 AM »
Ok, I wasn't 100% truthful in my previous post. Here are a few more before I call it quits.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 01:41:30 AM »
Maybe there are some who like the Dead here? Maybe not? Either way I am going to invest another 2 hours to watching this 1987 show at Anaheim Stadium...