Author Topic: They Call Me The Seeker : Possible connection to Parsha HaShavuah  (Read 504 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Shalom,

I do not mix Torah study and secular entertainment much, but when the secular entertainment has some possible connection to an idea in the Torah portion, then I may listen and or post it.

When we read about Lot in Beresheit, I may post the Grateful Deads 'Gemorah' song. Or when the Haftarah (section of Prophets we read) is about the judge Samson I may post the Deads 'Delilah'. When we read about our father Jacob's dream of the ladder I may post Rush's song 'Jacobs Ladder'. You get the picture...

Well I have been listening to Pandora radio in my car recently and hearing a lot of old Zepplin and Who. This Who song, 'The Seeker' relates to this weeks Torah portion of Yitro (see my Torah Thread in the Torah section).

Yitro, the father-in-law of Moshe Rebbeinu (Moses our teacher), was a spiritual seeker. The Torah relates that he was a 'Priest of Midian' meaning that he was an 'Kohen Avodah Zarah' (High Priest of Idol Worship).

Why does the Torah name the portion after this idol worshiping man? The reason is because Yitro does come to the conclusion that Hashem, Blessed is He, is the ONE G-d of creation who intervenes in the lives of his faithful (those who keep his statutes). Yitro heard what Hashem did to the nation of Egypt, destroying Pharoahs army, and the war with Amalek. Because of this Yitro converted to Judaism.

The Who's The Seeker is not clearly about Yitro. But Yitro did try every form of idol worship, so he knew his idolatry, and he came to realize idolatry was vanity and Hashem is the cause of everything in creation. This is why we learn about Yitro. And 'The Seeker' is a good song..

The seeker in this song does not find what he is after... But Yitro did.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline shai77

• Full JTFer
Re: They Call Me The Seeker : Possible connection to Parsha HaShavuah
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 04:01:58 PM »
great song