Author Topic: Musical Interlude : The Government Mule  (Read 922 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Musical Interlude : The Government Mule
« on: May 15, 2015, 02:05:40 AM »
Shalom

I was thinking about a song by Government Mule 'Blind Man in the Dark' and would like to share it with everyone. Maybe some more Government Mule to follow up.

Government Mule is a band lead by Warren Hayes (of the Allman Brothers fame). I saw Warren when he played with the Grateful Dead in 2005 at Mountain View amphitheater. He is a Southern Hard Rocker who plays a mean Jerry guitar.

Blind Man in the Dark

Beautifully Broken

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Musical Interlude : The Government Mule
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 02:33:45 AM »
Banks of the Deep End

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 12:41:18 AM »
I'm bumping this thread up again. After reading a post in another thread my blood-pressure is going through the roof (metaphorically of course). I must admit that I understand in a way an aspect of the avodah zarah discussed in that thread concerning the importance of music in our worship. Music is transcendent and reaches the human heart in a way very little else is able to reach. The music of the Temple was sublime and we can only imagine how it sounded today.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 12:59:27 AM »
In my past I followed the Grateful Dead (for about 10 years 1984-1994) and I felt the power of unity in the face of a common love of music. I sometimes imagine the feeling of the Jewish people when they stood at the foot of mount Sinai. The sages say that they camped as one beneath the mountain (as one man with one heart)...

This year is the 50th year of the Grateful Dead. They are going to call it quits once and for all. This Shabbat we read about Shmitah and Jubilee. The Jubilee was celebrated after seven cycles of seven years, in the fiftieth year the Jubilee was observed. The number 50 occurs to me a lot as I turned 50 years old this year. Fifty years since the 1st Mustang, 50 years of the Grateful Dead...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 01:04:42 AM »
I must admit I was impressed with Warren Hayes ability to sound like Jerry Garcia when I saw them in 2005 at Mountain View in California. These home-shot videos don't do justice to the sound.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 01:15:07 AM »
This video should be interesting. Trey Anastasio is the guitarist of the band Phish, another jam band who rose in the shadows of the Grateful Dead in the late 80s and early 90s. Trey is playing the part of Jerry in the upcoming summer Grateful Dead shows which will be the final shows...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 01:24:40 AM »
One more and then off to other things...

Dark Star is an epic Dead staple. Played quite a lot in the 70s they did not play it again till the 90s..