Poll

Why are you interesting in keeping your Jewish heritage?

Because I am convinced it is HaShems's will.
1 (9.1%)
Because I want my nation to survive.
0 (0%)
Because our nation has been persecuted by Gentiles and I want Israel's fair cause to prevail.
0 (0%)
All of the above.
7 (63.6%)
I just don't know why, but I feel it in my heart.
0 (0%)
I am not interested in keeping my Jewish heritage.
1 (9.1%)
Because it is HaShems's will!
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: To Jews in the forum, why are you Jewish?  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
To Jews in the forum, why are you Jewish?
« on: October 16, 2007, 03:25:39 AM »
Israel is different than other nations and so its survival obviously requires different ways. First because Jews have been scattered throughout the world, and secondly because Jewish identity is almost fully relugious.
It is clear that if Jews hadn't kept their religious practises, there would be no Jews nowadays. If Jews accepted any other religion there would no ban on intermarriage, and besides no reason to keep the mitzvot. And mitzvot are almost all the Jewish identity!!!!!
That's why some non-believer Jews have tried to invent other ways to preserve Jewishness with no or little temporal success.
But what about those who observe the mitzvot at least to certain extent?
What's moves you to do so? What moves you to remain in Judaism?
Faith in HaShem Baruch Hu? Patriotism?.......
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 03:30:45 AM by Raulmarrio2000 »

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: To Jews in the forum, why are you Jewish?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 08:14:40 AM »
I think what has convinced me why being Jewish is so special started when I went to Poland for a week to visit concentration camps and then 5 weeks to ISrael...and from that in addition to my knowledge of Israeli history, I realized even more strongly that there is a Gd and that He found us to be important to His will and for the world...So, I feel special and proud to be Jewish.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 05:25:48 PM »
Why not?

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 06:40:32 PM »
Rav Kahane's book "Why be Jewish?" is excellent for answering this question. Essentially the only true reason to be Jewish is that our G-d is the one true G-d and we are his chosen nation.
Those that say the "ethics" and "morals" of Judaism are special, are full of it. All religions (except maybe Islam) have good ethics and morals, ours aren't so unique. Our G-d is the one true G-d and that is the main reason to be Jewish
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 06:53:40 PM »
The proper question, is why would you want to NOT be Jewish? (if given the chance like a person with a Jewish mother)

I don't observe all the mitzvot.

But I will raise my child with knowledge of Judaism and Torah, because that is the best upbringing a child can have, also it will ensure that he has a Jewish identity and in turn passes that onto his children.  I think it's the obligation of every Jew to marry a Jew and raise your children with a formal Jewish upbringing to ensure survival of the Jewish people.  What keeps me in Judaism is the knowledge that HaShem is the one true G-d, pride for Judaism and pride for the Jewish people and our history.
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 08:01:43 PM »
What the hell kinda question is that ?Either you are a Jew or not.Silly question!
How can we affect those around us for our cause is a better question! >:(

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 03:45:51 PM »
Well...God selected me to be Jewish ! And I am thankful for that. I hope that one day i can help my nation !!!!
"We are in 1938, and Iran is Germany"