Author Topic: Something slightly interesting.  (Read 2966 times)

ftf

Something slightly interesting.
« on: October 31, 2007, 08:41:21 AM »
Is it a coincidence, that one of the hebrew words which can be translatred to the english word "curse" is pronounced "allah aw-law"?

To see what I mean go here: http://www.lingvozone.com/main.jsp?language_id_from=25&language_id_to=23&do=dictionary&action=translation&word_id=1256773

and click on "say"

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Something slightly interesting.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 03:36:54 PM »
There isn't just the term Allah, there is also Ilah-which is probably closer to E-lah.

So There are no Israeli arabs, do you agree to the word Allah directly meaning the word God?

ftf

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 04:44:57 PM »
There isn't just the term Allah, there is also Ilah-which is probably closer to E-lah.

So There are no Israeli arabs, do you agree to the word Allah directly meaning the word G-d?
From my own research I have found many sources to suggest that Ilah is the reall Arabic for God. Allah is a concatination of Al-Ilah, now the question is what does "Al" mean, some tell me it means "moon" others tell me it means "the" I don;t know which is correct yet, so I can' t take this further.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 05:11:18 PM »
Al is The. Its used in the arabic language for most words, Al-Mu'alima- The teacher.

Though in reference to God it is used to emphasis a superlative word. Like saying, The King, The one, The beneficial etc

So the word Allah altogether, also according to what you have said should mean. The God(Ilah), which announces that there is only One and He is the greatest.

This is also explained in the term,

La(no)-ilahha(God other)-illa(then)-allah.(The God- one and only.)

ftf

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 05:19:40 PM »
That is what most muslims say when asked about this, some arabic speakers though will say that "Al" can mean "moon", as you are seemingly a muslim at the moment, I cannot take your word  as unbiassed and impartial, so I will continue to be of the "don't know" opinion on this.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 05:28:36 PM »
Moon is Qamar in arabic but you can say Al-Qamar, the moon. I'm just discussing this, if you find anything on this tell me.

ftf

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 05:31:05 PM »
Moon is Qamar in arabic but you can say Al-Qamar, the moon. I'm just discussing this, if you find anything on this tell me.

I don't see any real reason not to believe you, considering the fact that "Al" obviously means the, it would be rather weird if it also meant "moon", however, the people who have said it means moon, are people I would normally feel inclined to trust, it is quite possible, even rather likely, that they were mistaken.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 05:52:47 PM »

I don't see any real reason not to believe you, considering the fact that "Al" obviously means the, it would be rather weird if it also meant "moon", however, the people who have said it means moon, are people I would normally feel inclined to trust, it is quite possible, even rather likely, that they were mistaken.

They are probably referring the arguement that Allah was the name of a moon God.
Though even if this is so, the fact that the word Allah means The God in pure arabic, anybody coul use it if they want to call their idol God.
Its a noun...i think.