Author Topic: How do you know if Judaism is the correct religion?  (Read 5432 times)

Offline Barnes

• Junior JTFer
How do you know if Judaism is the correct religion?
« on: November 02, 2007, 04:30:20 PM »
Not trying to argue I really don't know much about the religion. Is it similar to Christianity and Islam where they have prophecies and rely on faith or completely different?

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Re: How do you know if Judaism is the correct religion?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 08:22:43 PM »
Because Judaism claims that G-d himself literally spoke directly to millions of people at Mt. Sinai and spoke the ten commandments.  It is impossible to make up such a story if it did not occur.  Try it for yourself, say that millions of people saw G-d speak 10 years ago in Africa and see if you could convince one person that it is true.  Similarly, G-d performed open miracles for the Jews in front of millions of people in Egypt with the 10 plagues and he split the sea in front of millions of people. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 08:26:05 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

newman

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 09:59:55 PM »
A few facts:

The Jews are the tiniest Nation on Earth. They have survived as a distinct group despite 2,000 years without a country.Everybody has spent that 2,000 years trying to covert them, assimilate them or destroy them. They returned to their country after 2,000 years as prophesised in the Bible. They've won 4 major wars outnumbered 100:1 as prophesised in the Bible.

No other people have endured what Jews have endured. No other people have survived what Jews have survived. No other religious text has had it's prophesies fulfilled like the Hebrew Bible.

What more proof the Judaism's legitimacy do you need? 

Offline decimos

• Senior JTFer
    • wowheed
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 02:18:44 PM »
Deut 4:40 explains this.
And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken perversion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed thee out of the house of bondage, to draw thee aside out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put away the evil from the midst of thee.Deuteronomy 13:5.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 02:58:44 PM »
http://www.torahanytime.com/rav_mizrachi.html

11/27/06 Proof That Torah is Divine Part I Play Download Play Download Listen Download
12/04/06 Proof That Torah is Divine Part II Play Download Play Download Listen Download

The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 04:41:03 PM »
It is impossible to make up such a story if it did not occur.  Try it for yourself, say that millions of people saw G-d speak 10 years ago in Africa and see if you could convince one person that it is true. 
Correct me if I am wong but wasn't Moses the only one that spoke with G-d?
"We are in 1938, and Iran is Germany"

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 04:52:32 PM »
Because Judaism claims that G-d himself literally spoke directly to millions of people at Mt. Sinai and spoke the ten commandments.  It is impossible to make up such a story if it did not occur.  Try it for yourself, say that millions of people saw G-d speak 10 years ago in Africa and see if you could convince one person that it is true.  Similarly, G-d performed open miracles for the Jews in front of millions of people in Egypt with the 10 plagues and he split the sea in front of millions of people. 

Not only that - no one EVEN claimed for that to be soo. Every other religion and cult started with the story of one person. Think about it- Mohammed could have paid his cousins or whatever to say that they spoke to G-d with him, but no he was alone, same with all the others. The Torah says - not only you saw yourself, but that no other group of people will ever claim for that to be the case.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 07:44:43 PM by Tzvi Ben Roshel »
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 04:54:28 PM »
Tzvi ,

You may be able to answer this but wasn't Moses (and maybe Joshhua) the only ones to speak to G-d @ Mt.Sinai?

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 05:17:57 PM »
Tzvi ,

You may be able to answer this but wasn't Moses (and maybe Joshhua) the only ones to speak to G-d @ Mt.Sinai?

Nope, G-d literally spoke to the entire nation of Israel directly at Mt. Sinai publicly.  Read the Bible. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 05:21:16 PM »
Nope, G-d literally spoke to the entire nation of Israel directly at Mt. Sinai publicly.  Read the Bible.
Cool...thanks !

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 07:43:52 PM »
Merkava- and anyone else interested, I highly recommend you watching those videos I posted, I guarantee you, you will love it and gain KNOWLEDGE, not belief.  tell me how it went.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 08:00:33 PM »

go down and download these videos. They are great, generally speaking all the videos from that site are soo great.
11/27/06 Proof That Torah is Divine Part I Play Download Play Download Listen Download
12/04/06 Proof That Torah is Divine Part II Play Download Play Download Listen Download

Offline Barnes

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 12:10:05 AM »

But the Christian will say that hundreds of people witnessed Jesus performing miracles and his resurrection, therefore he's the messiah prophecy spoke of. Are those eye-witness accounts simply not credible enough because there were too few of them?

newman

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 12:17:03 AM »

But the Christian will say that hundreds of people witnessed Jesus performing miracles and his resurrection, therefore he's the messiah prophecy spoke of. Are those eye-witness accounts simply not credible enough because there were too few of them?

Hundreds more saw him nailed to a cross, stark naked with his wing-wang swinging in the breeze after FAILING to return all Jews to Israel, bring about world peace or rebuild the temple as Messiach is supposed to do.

So they only witnessed proof that he was NOT the Massiah.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 12:29:28 AM »
Well, the Jewish viewpoint is that if 100 people which is more like one or two guys writing that 100 people saw it in this case, claim to have seen someone who looks identical to someone who passed away, that is not a obvious miracle witnessed by enough people to be considered anything significant.  If some guy really was the Massiah and wanted to prove it he would have went in front of the whole nation of Israel, meaning millions of people and did a miracle similar to the revelation at Mount Sinai when G-d himself spoke publically to the whole nation of Israel.  I mean at least split the sea, bring back to life instantly a whole graveyard like Ezzekiel did with the valley of dry bones.  Or do like Elijah the prophet did at Mt. Carmel where a fire came up from heaven to consume his sacrifice in front of all of Israel witnessing, or do like what happened with the 3 prophets thrown into the furnace of Nebuchadnezer again with an audience of hundreds of thousands if not millions of people witnessing the spectacle.  Or try something that the Massiah must do, like defeat the Romans in battle, bring back all the dead and bring world peace.  Something like that done it in front of millions of people is what us Jews consider a public miracle.  If a few people claim that they saw something tiny happened, even if they say a small group of nameless people were there, it doesn't mean anything to us. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:42:56 AM by jdl4ever »

Offline Barnes

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 02:14:43 PM »
Well, the Jewish viewpoint is that if 100 people which is more like one or two guys writing that 100 people saw it in this case, claim to have seen someone who looks identical to someone who passed away, that is not a obvious miracle witnessed by enough people to be considered anything significant.  If some guy really was the Massiah and wanted to prove it he would have went in front of the whole nation of Israel, meaning millions of people and did a miracle similar to the revelation at Mount Sinai when G-d himself spoke publically to the whole nation of Israel.  I mean at least split the sea, bring back to life instantly a whole graveyard like Ezzekiel did with the valley of dry bones.  Or do like Elijah the prophet did at Mt. Carmel where a fire came up from heaven to consume his sacrifice in front of all of Israel witnessing, or do like what happened with the 3 prophets thrown into the furnace of Nebuchadnezer again with an audience of hundreds of thousands if not millions of people witnessing the spectacle.  Or try something that the Massiah must do, like defeat the Romans in battle, bring back all the dead and bring world peace.  Something like that done it in front of millions of people is what us Jews consider a public miracle.  If a few people claim that they saw something tiny happened, even if they say a small group of nameless people were there, it doesn't mean anything to us. 

Why have these public miracles stopped occurring? I've asked Christians this, but they deny a difference between these miracles and the ones performed by Evangelist prayer-healers or children who survive plane crashes.

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 04:48:40 PM »

Why have these public miracles stopped occurring? I've asked Christians this, but they deny a difference between these miracles and the ones performed by Evangelist prayer-healers or children who survive plane crashes.

The Gulf war and the 6 day War were public miracles on par with those of the Bible.

They have not stopped occuring if we keep our eyes open.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Uziyahu

• Junior JTFer
    • Uziyahu on YouTube
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 08:45:06 PM »
It's very simple.

Judaism is the original.

Christianity and Islam are the counterfeits.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 05:12:13 AM »
Getting back to Judaism.

Rabbi Dovid Gottlieb of Ohr, has  a book "Living up to the truth".
http://www.dovidgottlieb.com/
see the "living up" link.

He was professor philosophy at john hopkins university, and has a PhD in mathematical deduction. He is very vigorous in his reasoning.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 09:20:32 AM »

go down and download these videos. They are great, generally speaking all the videos from that site are soo great.

I find that I cannot move/jump around the video.  For a 2h video that is a big problem!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 07:57:07 PM »

I find that I cannot move/jump around the video.  For a 2h video that is a big problem!

You should download and save on the desktop (or whatever), and then play it. What I do a lot of times is right click on the download buttom, then save target as , and then a new screen pops up and you click save.
 While that is downloading, you can just click on play and watch the beginning of the video, and then later when the download is finished you can open the video and you will have no problem going from one part of the video to the next.
 Good luck, tell me how it went. - their is also available in MP3 format where you can download it and put it on your ipod.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 01:48:29 AM »
got it. 
There are 3 downloads.  hi quality, low quality, mp3

the "hi quality" one has the problem.

only the  "low quality" and the mp3 , one can skip around.
Hopefully he always reads what is on the screen he shows, so far it looks like a he does.