Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 5149 times)

admin

Thanksgiving
« on: October 01, 2006, 04:36:48 PM »
I will have Chaim Ben Pesach address this subject.

Do you celebrate Thanksgiving? The Pilgrims were Righteous Gentiles who didn't celebrate Christmas and fashioned Thanksgiving after Sukkot. So Thanksgiving is a Jewish and Righteous Gentile religious American holiday. The Pilgrims thanked G-d, not The Indians, as the politically correct education system teaches American youth today.

It is fitting The Pilgrims chose Sukkot to fashion a holiday after because Sukkot is the holiday where all Righteous Gentiles will be required to make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem and bring offerings to G-d.

Do you celebrate other American holidays such as The Fourth of July? Do you believe Jews should celebrate Thanksgiving or other American holidays?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 02:17:47 PM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »

Offline azrom

• Senior JTFer
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 04:02:39 PM »
I celebrate thanksgiving. ;)
"Negroes are a form of animal and it is against the will of God and nature to mate with such creatures. It is specifically forbidden in the Holy Bible. The Negro is still in the ape stage, actually a higher form of gorilla. They are retarded, 200,000 years behind the white race. They suffer from sickle-cell trait, a hereditary racial characteristic of negroes, and is found in no other race - Negroes have diseased blood". - Prof. Charles Carroll

Offline David Ben-Ariel

• Full JTFer
    • Beyond Babylon
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 11:45:02 PM »
I'm a Christian-Zionist who celebrates Thanksgiving (and happen to be a descendant of two Mayflower Pilgrims - John and Priscilla Alden), but not the pagan holidays masquerading as "Christian."

Thanksgiving: Attitude of Gratitude Expressed in Loving Obedience

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 07:57:36 PM »
I get together with my family for Thanksgiving. We don't celebrate or attach any religious significance to it. It may not be a Jewish holiday. But if it brings the family together, then I don't see the harm in it.

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 08:03:13 PM »
I might eat Turkey or special food, but I attach no significance to it and Jews are forbidden from celebrating non-Jewish holidays so I don't "celebrate" on Thanksgiving, I just eat the Turkey that is on sale  ;D
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 08:18:51 PM »
Thanksgiving may have a relation with Judaism and Noahidism, but is esentially Crhistian. It has nothing to do with the prophesy about Gentiles' pilgrimage to Jerusalem in future.
So Jews may celebrate only the REAL Sukkot according to the Halacha, and Noahdes may remember Sukkot and take a holiday on that days, without the ritual rest.
Baptism has also its origin in a the Jewish Mikvah. But it is not Jewish. Would a Jew get baptized?

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 12:07:56 AM »
I know Jews shouldn't celebrate American Holli days because that would mean that we are taking part in American Society and all Jews should be in Israel. But thanks giving is more a holiday to give thanks for rather then a traditional American holiday like the secular New Years or Valentines Day or the 4th of July. So is it okay for a Jew to celebrate thanksgiving?? What is JTF's stance on this??
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 03:01:46 PM »
I know Jews shouldn't celebrate American Holli days because that would mean that we are taking part in American Society and all Jews should be in Israel. But thanks giving is more a holiday to give thanks for rather then a traditional American holiday like the secular New Years or Valentines Day or the 4th of July. So is it okay for a Jew to celebrate thanksgiving?? What is JTF's stance on this??

So we're not supposed to celebrate thanksgiving, fourth of july or any American holiday? Then why do we care what happens in America or about the laws or government if we can't even take part of the country we live in? That doesn't even make sense.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 06:48:16 PM »
This is my Thanksgiving table service.

Order of Prayers for Thanksgiving

Psalm 118:1-4

Hodu LaShem Ki Tov, Ki LeOlam Chasdo.
Yomar Na Yisrael, Ki LeOlam Chasdo.
Yomeru Na Beit Aharon, Ki LeOlam Chasdo.
Yomeru Na Yir'ei HaShem, Ki LeOlam Chasdo.

'O give thanks unto HaShem, for He is good, for His mercy endures for ever.
So let Israel now say, for His mercy endures for ever,
So let the house of Aaron now say, for His mercy endures for ever.
So let them now that fear HaShem say, for His mercy endures for ever.

Washing of The Hands

Baruch Ata Hashem, Elokeinu Melech HaOlam, Asher Kideshanu BeMitzvotav VeTzivanu, Al Netilat Yadayim.

Blessed Are You Hashem, King of The Universe, Who Has Sanctified Us With His Commandments, and Commanded Us Regarding The Washing of The Hands.

Blessings

For challah: Baruch Ata Hashem, Elokeinu Melech HaOlam, HaMotzi Lechem Min HaAretz.

Blessed Are You Hashem, King of The Universe, Who Brings Forth Bread From The Earth.

For turkey: Baruch Ata Hashem, Elokeinu Melech HaOlam, SheHakol Nihyah BiDvaro.

Blessed Are You Hashem, King of The Universe, That Everything Came Into Being With His Word. 

Birkat HaMazon - Grace After Meals

Regular weekday Birkat HaMazon.

Thank you very much
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 07:51:08 PM »
This is my Thanksgiving table service.

Order of Prayers for Thanksgiving

Psalm 118:1-4

Hodu LaShem Ki Tov, Ki LeOlam Chasdo.
Yomar Na Yisrael, Ki LeOlam Chasdo.
Yomeru Na Beit Aharon, Ki LeOlam Chasdo.
Yomeru Na Yir'ei HaShem, Ki LeOlam Chasdo.

'O give thanks unto HaShem, for He is good, for His mercy endures for ever.
So let Israel now say, for His mercy endures for ever,
So let the house of Aaron now say, for His mercy endures for ever.
So let them now that fear HaShem say, for His mercy endures for ever.

Washing of The Hands

Baruch Ata Hashem, Elokeinu Melech HaOlam, Asher Kideshanu BeMitzvotav VeTzivanu, Al Netilat Yadayim.

Blessed Are You Hashem, King of The Universe, Who Has Sanctified Us With His Commandments, and Commanded Us Regarding The Washing of The Hands.

Blessings

For challah: Baruch Ata Hashem, Elokeinu Melech HaOlam, HaMotzi Lechem Min HaAretz.

Blessed Are You Hashem, King of The Universe, Who Brings Forth Bread From The Earth.

For turkey: Baruch Ata Hashem, Elokeinu Melech HaOlam, SheHakol Nihyah BiDvaro.

Blessed Are You Hashem, King of The Universe, That Everything Came Into Being With His Word. 

Birkat HaMazon - Grace After Meals

Regular weekday Birkat HaMazon.

Actually that can be misleading. Where does the Hodo's come from? Are you trying to say that Hallel should be said  ??? .  Also after washing, if one is eating bread then it includes everything including the Turkey. But if no bread but Torkey with other foods- its a little more complicated and one would have to ask his/ her Rav about which foods one says the brahot on or not. Also if one has wine, one would make Bere Pre Hagefen which includes all the drinks and if not one should make a Sheakol on a drink before the meal (any meal) and drink during the meal if one wants (in oder to avoid the question if making HaMotzi covers drinks or not).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 04:38:01 AM »

Actually that can be misleading. Where does the Hodo's come from? Are you trying to say that Hallel should be said  ??? .  Also after washing, if one is eating bread then it includes everything including the Turkey. But if no bread but Torkey with other foods- its a little more complicated and one would have to ask his/ her Rav about which foods one says the brahot on or not. Also if one has wine, one would make Bere Pre Hagefen which includes all the drinks and if not one should make a Sheakol on a drink before the meal (any meal) and drink during the meal if one wants (in oder to avoid the question if making HaMotzi covers drinks or not).

I'm confused.  A prayer for challah or bread covers all foods?

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 11:06:59 AM »

I'm confused.  A prayer for challah or bread covers all foods?

Yes, but theirs a question about drinks, so what to do (not to have a doubt) is to either say on wine if your having wine ( Bere Pre Hagefin) which will cover all beverages (have in mind), or make a blessing on any other drink before the meal (sheakol) and then wash and make Hamotzi.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 12:10:21 AM »
I celebrate Thanksgiving, mainly with family and friends.