Author Topic: Israeli made Tavor to replace M-16  (Read 24543 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Israeli made Tavor to replace M-16
« on: December 16, 2007, 08:16:35 AM »
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/124587   

Israeli-Made Tavor Assault Rifle to Replace M-16 Among Infantry

by Ezra HaLevi

(IsraelNN.com) After several years of trial usage by the IDF’s Givati Brigade, the Israeli-made Tavor assault rifle will be deployed among infantry units throughout Judea and Samaria in the near future.

Soldiers who enlisted November, 2006 and later are now being deployed as the first batch of recruits to be trained with the lightweight, futuristic weapon.

The Tavor is specially designed for urban combat. Its center of gravity is located in the rear and is much lighter and shorter-barreled than the US-made M-16, currently the weapon of choice in most of the IDF.

The Tavor’s body is made from alloy metal substitutes and is very well insulated so that it does not heat up after prolonged firing. The Tavor is not equipped with normal metal sights that require closing one eye for shooting. Instead, the Tavor uses a laser sight in which the soldier sees both the target and the red dot, which, when aligned, will result in a direct hit.

During the past years of trials with the Tavor, more than a few problems were identified. This led the head of the Givati Brigade to decide at the last minute that the August ’06 recruits would continue to use M-16s due to jamming issues with the Tavor. The latest generation of the weapon, however, has resolved the issues and the Golani and Kfir Brigades have now received Tavors.

Four versions of the gun are available – the basic assault rifle configuration, a sharp-shooting squad weapon, a short commando version and a micro version for security detail and special forces. The commando version weighs 2.8 kg (6.2 pounds) compared with the Uzi's 3.7 kg (8.2 pounds) and M-16's 3.4 kg (7.5 pounds).

"The Tavor would be useful anywhere where close quarters battle is the rule, and from vehicles," Charles Cutshaw, firearms editor at Jane's International Defense Review Magazine, said. “It has large vents to prevent dust clogs and sights allowing the shooter to aim with both eyes open. The Tavor spells the end, locally, of the M-16, a staple assault rifle supplied to Israel since the early 1970s as part of Washington's annual defense grants.”

The M-16 has long been the subject of complaints by IDF soldiers. It was designed for Vietnam-style tropical climates and frequently jams in the desert. In addition, most of the rifles Israel received from the US were army surplus and in need of refurbishing. Despite this, the M-16 replaced Israeli-made Uzi and Galil guns, which were sold mostly to clients in Africa and South America.

Indian and Georgian special forces, as well as the Columbia army and police forces, have already ordered and phased in the Tavor.

Due to the huge number of M-16s already in the IDF's armories, as well as the cost of producing Tavors, the complete replacement of the M-16 with the Israeli-made weapon is still far off.
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
Re: Israeli made Tavor to replace M-16
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 08:27:41 AM »
Isn't this the gun that shoots around corners?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
No thats a different one
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 08:31:45 AM »
Here's hoping the Tavor will be used with extreme prejudice to produce vast quantities of moooooozie swiss cheese.

May the Tavor become the primary source of moooozie high velocity lead poisoning !

Offline Uziyahu

• Junior JTFer
    • Uziyahu on YouTube
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 08:57:35 AM »
The barrel might be a little shorter, but it's an optical illusion, because the barrel reaches almost to the shoulder INSIDE the body of the weapon.

Furthermore, the red dot sight isn't a laser sight, at least not in the way most people will imagine it.

Finally, the M16 jams ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, even when "immaculately cleaned", as instructed in order to prevent jams.

Offline ASHISH

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 10:32:17 AM »
India also bought tavor for its special forces to kick porki ass O0

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 10:46:31 AM »
India also bought tavor for its special forces to kick porki donkey O0

good to hear O0

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 11:05:59 AM »

Hoping they come out with a semi-auto civilian version, I want one for home defense.  8)
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Mifletzet

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 12:14:21 PM »
Here a video clip of the Tavor

And here of the "Corner Shot" gun

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 12:17:13 PM by Mifletzet »

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Senior JTFer
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 02:26:24 PM »
Personally, I'm not a big fan of bullpup-configuration weapons...they just don't "feel right" to me, but then I am more interested in good long-range shooting rather than blasting about cities.

I don't see why they're sticking with the .223 cartridge, though.  I much prefer .308 (as used in the M-14).  And I would want a gun that still had iron sights - I like red-dot optics but the more complicated something is, the more chances it'll break under stress.  Even the world's best scopes can be cracked.

newman

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 02:35:18 PM »
The Israeli designed/made Galil war the best combat rifle in the world. All the rugged reliability of the AK 47 with better ergonomics.

It was only killed off because of the f__!* foreign aid & dirt cheap M16s! >:(

Offline Mifletzet

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 03:24:43 PM »
If you want a long-range bullpup that fires .308, the Israelis can also oblige you!

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn66-e.htm

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 03:28:04 PM by Mifletzet »

newman

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 03:30:46 PM »
If you want a long-range bullpup that fires .308, the Israelis can also oblige you!

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn66-e.htm

It's a reconfigured M14/ M21.

Offline Mifletzet

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 04:12:40 PM »
Although it may not sound much, but the Israeli bullpup's 850mm length and 4.5kg weight can count a lot to some soldiers in real combat, versus the M21's 1118mm and 5.27kg.

newman

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 04:16:14 PM »
I'd rather pack 9lbs of Galil that works 100% of the time than 7.5 lbs of M16 that constantly jams and fouls up.

I've heard of US soldiers in Iraq junking their M16s in favour of M14s despite the extra weight.

Offline Yogy

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 04:17:18 PM »
The M-16 has long been the subject of complaints by IDF soldiers. It was designed for Vietnam-style tropical climates and frequently jams in the desert. In addition, most of the rifles Israel received from the US were army surplus and in need of refurbishing. Despite this, the M-16 replaced Israeli-made Uzi and Galil guns, which were sold mostly to clients in Africa and South America.

Are Israeli planners crazy??
Galil is a good, reliable weapon. A bit heavy though.
But they should lose the M-16 as fast as possible. This is a perfect example how the American "aid" hearts Israel.
The Tavor is a very good news. It's light, reliable, designed specifically for the type of missions fulfilled by IDF, and (very important) Israeli made.
Btw., I like bullpup guns. Several European armies are using them exclusively.

Offline Haim_Ben_Shimon_3JFB

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 04:46:38 PM »
Isn't this the gun that shoots around corners?
whatch the video its sick

Offline Haim_Ben_Shimon_3JFB

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 05:01:57 PM »
idk much about weapons but i know israelis come up with sick guns i loved corner shot and this is crazy one

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 07:41:21 AM »
The tavor is is very accurate a distant range i saw it being used

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Mifletzet

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 08:03:14 AM »
The Galil is a good gun, but like all guns it has problems, according to this its weight and accuracy, making it not too popular in Israel itself http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/small-arms-personal-weapons/1515-galil-assault-rifle.html

Though bank robber Tom Sizemore used a Galil with good effect in the film "Heat" to blow away many of LA's finest!

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 08:14:51 AM by Mifletzet »

Boeregeneraal

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 08:28:26 AM »
i don't like the bullpup designs either. It looks too futuristic to me.

Oh the Galil, what an immaculate weapon that is! So much so, that the South Africans used the dewsigns to make their own types, the R2-5 ranges. Superb weapons!

However, don't get me wrong, the Tavor seems like a really great weapon! Great accuracy, and little recoil by the looks of it (better design and the position and length of the weapon position to the body). But more importantly, it will save Israeli lives in urban warfare. Designed by Jewish excellence, what more can you ask for ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 08:40:03 AM by Boeregeneraal »

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 08:59:25 AM »
AK-47 is even better than M-16.
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Boeregeneraal

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 09:05:19 AM »
you're very right! In Vietnam some us soldiers actually abandoned their new M-16's for vietnamese Ak's. Ofcourse, this made them vulnerable to friendly fire-but the advantages of using such a great gun made it worth it

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 09:41:11 AM »
you're very right! In Vietnam some us soldiers actually abandoned their new M-16's for vietnamese Ak's. Ofcourse, this made them vulnerable to friendly fire-but the advantages of using such a great gun made it worth it

yeah I heard about that.

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Senior JTFer
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 09:46:16 AM »

The AK-47 is more reliable than the M-16.  No doubt.  But that is its only advantage.  You can shoot further and straighter with an M-16.  The M-16 has a much better safety system, it can be accessorized much further/better, etc.  The AK-47 has a bigger bullet, but not big enough to make a difference.

Neither of them hold a candle to the M-14/M1A, though ;-)