Author Topic: Has anyone seen the movie "Liberty Heights"  (Read 811 times)

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
Has anyone seen the movie "Liberty Heights"
« on: December 16, 2007, 10:20:24 PM »
   This movie is on TV now, but I don't have time to watch it. So far I've seen a self-hating Jew dressed as Hiltler for Halloween. Has anyone seen this movie yet.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
Re: Has anyone seen the movie "Liberty Heights"
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 11:02:26 PM »
I thought every Jew from Baltimore had seen this movie! Seriously.
It was filmed in Baltimore in the 1990's and is about a Jewish kid who attends Forest Park High School in 1959. Right around the time the school started to get more black students. Forest Park used to be mostly Jewish back then. Today it is 100% black. Many of my relatives attended that school, in fact since it was surrounded by the Jewish area of Baltimore at the time many Jews of today in Baltimore have relatives who attended that school in the 30's 40's 50's and 60's.

Anyway the lead male falls in love with a black girl. His dad owns a strip club on "The Block" and the fbi busts him. A rich Christian friend of the brother of the lead male tries to get the father off but he can not. The main male lead gets caught in a black club with the black girl and almost is killed by a black. In the end the father goes to jail where it is assumed he dies He is allowed to go to shul on Rosh Hashanah one last time before he has to go to jail. There is a nice reference to the Baltimore Colts at the end. There is also a nice shot of the ceiling of the shul on the park. That shul is still there today but is falling apart and may only be used for services once a year at most. Relatives of mine are extras in the movie.

I think  the movie is supposed to show that blacks and Jew should get along and that whites are bad or some BS like that. What you should take from it is that Baltimore was once a great place. Safe and clean. Filled with row houses with families.

Old Forest Park. They ripped it down and built a new one in the 80's. I assume the so-called students of the 1970's destroyed it.

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
Re: Has anyone seen the movie "Liberty Heights"
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 06:20:21 PM »
   I'm not from Baltimore. I came after 2000 so the movie was quite old by then. It is not the kind of movie that congregations would show. Liberty heights is no longer a good place. I know it has a number of synagogues that have been converted to black so-called churches.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?