1 (12.5%)
get a phd in another field
0 (0%)
get a phd part time and keep working full time
3 (37.5%)
give up on life and keeping working in the jungle
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: WHICH PATH SHOULD I TAKE?  (Read 2079 times)

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
WHICH PATH SHOULD I TAKE?
« on: December 18, 2007, 10:54:36 PM »
Sorry to bug you guys with my personal problems, but I need the advice of some of you guys and I know that you're smart people:
I'm at a point in my life (late 30s, horrible teaching job) that I need a change. Although I completed the cpa exam (MA NYU, BA Columbia U.), I cannot get a job in accounting because most firms tell me I'm too old. I would like to go to back to school and get a PHD but I don't want to stop working to make money, and a PHD won't guarantee a job. If I get a PHD, I've considered it in another subject, but the fastest way would be to get a phd in accounting or economics (since I have a BA and MA in these fields). But to tell you the truth, I'm so turned off by these fields that I sometimes think that I would be happier studying something else like Science..

PLEASE VOTE AFTER YOU'VE READ THE ABOVE...thanks all
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 10:57:03 PM by ItalianZionist »

Offline dejavu

• Full JTFer
Re: WHICH PATH SHOULD I TAKE?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 11:06:34 PM »
I dont think that this is a question that anyone else should try to answer for you so i respectfully decline to vote.

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 11:09:18 PM »
I think that "too old" is an excuse to hire baboons..

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 11:11:38 PM »

funny you should say that..I went to PriceWaterHouse Coopers to drop off a resume last week, and they had signs all over that said,"DIVERSITY, DIVERSITY...WE STRIVE TO HIRE FOR DIVERSITY"

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 11:35:37 PM »

funny you should say that..I went to PriceWaterHouse Coopers to drop off a resume last week, and they had signs all over that said,"DIVERSITY, DIVERSITY...WE STRIVE TO HIRE FOR DIVERSITY"

Surprise, surprise...

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 11:50:06 PM »
Is it possible for you to start off as an independent private CPA?
Perhaps advertise your services for small businesses and for tax preparations?
Maybe start out small just on your own...let your private business grow based strictly on word-of-mouth recommendations from happy clients.
If you've got a lot of "savvy" & common sense, are honest and reliable, you could probably make ends meet.
There are so many people these days looking in classified ads for someone to help them prepare their tax forms, etc..
*However...I always live by the saying "Man proposes, but G-d disposes".  Sometimes it really doesn't matter which path one chooses...life may have something entirely unexpected waiting for them!

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 11:52:21 PM »
I don't think you need a Phd to get a good job, unless you want to be a college professor.  Have you tried the job boards like Monster, HotJobs.com, CareerBuilder.com, Dice.com and Craigslist?  Perhaps you might want to upload your resume, and maybe some people here can give you some pointers?

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Senior JTFer
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 12:07:26 AM »
You can probably find a job if you are more geographically flexible...say you'll relocate anywhere and your scope of possibilities will expand enormously.

You might also consider reading "What Color Is Your Parachute?" which is the best book for job seekers who are considering changing fields or having a hard time finding work.

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 12:17:15 AM »
You can't find an accounting job even though you have a BA and an MA in accounting and econ from two top universities because you're "too old?"  You're only in your late 30s?! 

That's seriously one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in my entire life. 

There are plenty of 30 something law students who will graduate and go on to get jobs just like everyone else. 

I find it impossible to accept that you can't find a job with an MA from NYU.  I would keep looking for a job, try some fields other than accounting. 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 12:31:54 AM »
You can't find an accounting job even though you have a BA and an MA in accounting and econ from two top universities because you're "too old?"  You're only in your late 30s?! 

That's seriously one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in my entire life. 

There are plenty of 30 something law students who will graduate and go on to get jobs just like everyone else. 

I find it impossible to accept that you can't find a job with an MA from NYU.  I would keep looking for a job, try some fields other than accounting. 

Thanks Ze'ev..but what they tell me is that they want someone fresh out of college for entry-level CPA jobs, even though I am willing to work for a nominal amount or even nothing for the experience..As far as trying something else, my education is a BA in economics and an MA in accounting. I'm not sure about another field that would readily accept a career changer, without a degree in it.

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Senior JTFer
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 12:39:15 AM »
You should not limit yourself to just "CPA" jobs.  There's accounting work in consulting (McKinsey, Bain, etc., as well as a bazillion smaller firms), Sarbanes-Oxley and related auditing, government accounting jobs, forensic accounting, etc.  There's also management work - you don't have an MBA, but neither do lots and lots of managers who don't have either MBAs or MAs in accounting.

Heck, a BA in either accounting or law is a pre-req for joining the FBI ;-)

Broaden your scope in terms of where you can work, both geographically and role-wise.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 11:47:41 AM »
I think that getting a PhD in accounting won't necessarily translate into job prospects since the companies will now tell you that "you are overqualified" (happened to a Chemist I know) so you should continue to work full time in your current job and thank G-d that you have a job.  Most people don't love their job but work because they have to so make money so it is not a big deal.  Teaching is a very easy job compared to anything else because of the benefits and the hours so you should be happy for your current lot as accountants have to work their ass off to make money.  If you want to go into accounting I suggest go at night back to school part time and get a PhD over a few years and try to get a job in accounting while you are working. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 11:49:23 AM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 01:43:18 PM »

Thanks Ze'ev..but what they tell me is that they want someone fresh out of college for entry-level CPA jobs, even though I am willing to work for a nominal amount or even nothing for the experience..As far as trying something else, my education is a BA in economics and an MA in accounting. I'm not sure about another field that would readily accept a career changer, without a degree in it.

I am also having a hard time understanding this. Columbia for undergrad and NYU after that is great! Not many can beat that. Late 30's is hardly old!
Here are some tough questions. Do you appear older than 40? Do you keep yourself looking in a professional manner when attending interviews? Do you have any communication, language, or social problems/barriers?

Keep on applying for jobs in all sorts of fields that interest you. DO not get the phd. Phd's are for professors.  Do you want to be a professor?