Author Topic: What do people think about the fact that Rebekah had a nose earring?  (Read 6562 times)

admin

When I asked a rabbi why it was allowed, he said that was before The Torah was given but on other things we are told that The Avot and Imahot practiced Halacha even before The Torah was given. I asked him if it was like Abraham gave the angels dairy and meat but he said that Abraham gave the dairy first and then the meat because they practiced it even before The Torah was given.

Once, a religious woman on Yahoo Chat told me that HaRav Yisrael Meir Lau, the former Ashekanzic Chief Rabbi of Israel told her that body piercings for women are okay and that is how she justified having a nipple earring. She said as long as it is not exposed and a woman does the piercing, it is okay. She said only genital piercings that would prevent women from enjoying sex and that could hurt the baby when it comes out are forbidden. Needless to say, I agree with the rabbi I asked on this topic.

When people respond to this, I will ask Chaim what he thinks about it, considering he speaks out against such savagery.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 09:36:43 PM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Re: What do people think about the fact that Rebekah had a nose earring?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 02:26:49 PM »
When I asked a rabbi why it was allowed, he said that was before The Torah was given but on other things we are told that The Avot and Imahot practiced Halacha even before The Torah was given. I asked him if it was like Abraham gave the angels dairy and meat but he said that Abraham gave the dairy first and then the meat because they practiced it even before The Torah was given.

Once, a religious woman on Yahoo Chat told me that HaRav Yisrael Meir Lau, the former Ashekanzic Chief Rabbi of Israel told her that body piercings for women are okay and that is how she justified having a nipple earring. She said as long as it is not exposed and a woman does the piercing, it is okay. She said only genital piercings that would prevent women from enjoying sex and that could hurt the baby when it comes out are forbidden. Needless to say, I agree with the rabbi I asked on this topic.

When people respond to this, I will ask Chaim what he thinks about it, considering he speaks out against such savagery.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous to say that the Avot practiced the ENTIRE torah before it was given since there are many biblical contradictions to this statement.  I do think that they practiced some of the Torah before it was given that the Avot figured out through their own logical reasoning, Ruach Hakodesh and prophesy.  There is biblical proof that some laws were practiced then that were menchaned later on at Sinai.  Only a fool would think that they practiced the entire Torah and I am surprized that some Rabbis actually think this.  How did Yaokov marry sisters then?  Everyone agrees that Abraham served milk with dairy and this is the first time I hear someone trying to manipulate the Torah to say something it did not say.

As for the piercing thing I don't know of any biblical or halachic source that prohibit women from having body piercings so I think it is permitted for them to have such things. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 02:28:34 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

wonderfulgoy

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 02:37:37 PM »
For all that my opinion is worth, piercings and tatoos are anathema to a woman's body.

Then again it is a good visual indication of a woman's sense of self-worth - only the most self-hating women cover their beautiful bodies in that kind of junk.

fake plastic trees

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 06:01:52 PM »
For all that my opinion is worth, piercings and tatoos are anathema to a woman's body.

Then again it is a good visual indication of a woman's sense of self-worth - only the most self-hating women cover their beautiful bodies in that kind of junk.

how does it make you self-hating?!

Offline JoshMan

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 06:45:25 PM »

Ah, some piercings are What out their and can cause harm as already pointed out on the first post, such things are stupid especially if its a nose earing or eyebrow earing, what the point of such things?

I think the eyebrow pericing are for people who want to install window blinds on there face....

As with tattoos, well that a nother story, tattoos are as old as mankind its self and is practiced everywere for the most part, the problem with such things is now days getting a tattoo is "cool" and for the most part have no meaning what so ever like they used to when our ancestors practiced it, thus such things are looked down on nowdays due to such practice, its now of a taboo then something sacred....don't get me wrong some people do get tattoos for the rights resons IE to remember a loved one who has passed on or for personal or religious resons.

So I think there is nothing wrong with someone getting a tattoo for well thought out resons and not just to part of the crowd, It always cracks me up when I meet some one who had to get laser surgery to get rid of a tattoo because they were not thinking about it at the time, I should know I have two myself, one on my right on my upper arm and a nother on my left upper arm, and yes they are not done yet and even if I,m wearing a short sleeved shirt no one can see them because I did not get them for people to gawk at.

Offline JoshMan

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 12:31:36 AM »

"There is no controversy at all in Judaism about tattoos."

Well if thats the LAW then so be it.
But yeah the stuff in Africa is weird alien and harmfull to the body and the rest of your topic I agree with myself on such matters. But I,m sticking to the tattoos are fine for most if they have meanings to them.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 12:46:45 AM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »

Offline JoshMan

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 04:04:25 AM »
If you are a Gentile, I don't think Judaism prohibits Gentiles from getting tattoos. But if Gentiles want to be normal, they should also not get them. Just because something isn't prohibited, doesn't make it the correct thing to do. That's why Jewish women should not get body piercings even if it is permitted. All authorities agree that Jewish men should get NO piercings, not even in the ear. I think that applies to Gentile men too because it is considered to be cross dressing and sexual immorality is against The Noahide Laws.

Understandable, thats one of the resons i removed the earring from my ear, and I just felt it was disrespectful in certain circumstances, I would of had it out of my ear years ok, but i could not figure how to remove it, until one day I got the bright idea to take needle nose plier's to it. :P

Yes I guess I would be a gentile.