General Category > Ask JTF

Ask JTF For January 20 Broadcast

(1/7) > >>

admin:
BS"D

Note To All Posters: Only one post per person is permitted. Please make it a single, short question.

Chaim would love to answer all of your great questions but (unfortunately due to the number of questions and time constraints), if there is more than one short question, it will have to be moved to The Future Ask JTF Section. We apologize for this inconvenience and only wish that every person has a chance to be heard on the show.

Or course, comments not directed to Chaim will be moved into a separate thread under The General Discussion.

Chaim has stated that only one short question or comment per poster will be answered. Please remember that even with these rules, the program is over 2 hours long every week! If you want to post a longer question, unfortunately, Chaim may or may not be able to answer it in it's entirety. In this case, you may copy and paste parts of your question for the following week.

Thank you for your kindness and respect regarding these rules.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

BS"D

Happy Tu B'Shevat,

Was there ever a point in your life when you celebrated Thanksgiving? If so, how did you celebrate?

Also, please read the entire paragraph below and comment on it.

Thanksgiving was based on Sukkot and Hanukkah was based on Sukkot as well. So Thanksgiving is like the American Hanukkah, unlike Christmas which The Left tries to compare to Hanukkah. In 2013, Thanksgiving will even fall on Hanukkah so Jews can light the menorah before they have their Thanksgiving dinner.

Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim,
Chief Administrator.

TorahZionist:
I'm posting this for Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim.

Thank you for answering my question about The Secular New Year. Do you consider it to be a Christian holiday?

Also, please read the entire paragraph below and answer the question at the end.

In Christianity, January 1 as The New Year marks Jesus's brit milah since he is said to have been born on December 25, therefore making his brit on January 1, 1 C.E.. However, many Christians just think it a time to party. What do you think of the Christians who party for it instead of going to church?

דוד בן זאב אריה:
Dear Chaim

In 1994 a "Peace Deal" was signed with King Hussein of Jordan. Do you feel that Israel was ever at peace with Jordan

Dr. Dan:
Shalom Chaim-

A thread was started earlier this week in which a religious dialogue took place on why certain things happen for a reason.  This discussion carried on in an off topic of whether or not reincarnation is a part of Judaism and Torah.  Two of our esteemed members pointed out a passage in the siddur a prayer, Kiryat Shema Ha-Amita (2nd paragraph) in which it states how we must forgive and not hold grudges against anyone. In the last part, it also included the following lines: 

"...I hereby forgive and pardon anyone who has angered or incensed me, or has sinned against me, whether against my body, my property, my honor, or anything else that is mine, whether unwillingly or willingly whether unknowingly or knowingly, whether with speech or with action, whether in this incarnation or any other incarnation; I hereby forgive and pardon any Israelite, and let no person be punished on my account."

Indeed it is a beautiful prayer.  However, I percieve the part about incarnations to be a mere metaphor and not a literal meaning. Such as when one of us might say, "I am so hungry I can eat a horse!" Surely that is nothing more than a metaphor of how hungry we might be...So is in this prayer we promise not to hold any grudges even if heaven and earth were to collide.

I have also asked other observant Jews about this and it seems split down the middle that reincarnation is a true after life in that if someone does not fullfill what Gd intended for them to do in this life, they will come back again as part with other souls into another life to fulfill that goal. 

Honestly, this defeats the whole purpose of free will, sort of, and personally, the concept of reincarnation being remotely a Jewish concept is really silly to me.  I was wondering what your point of view was if any.. Thanks.

Dr. Dan

Yisrael:
Shalom Chaim,

I want to thank you for answering my questions every week.

I think we should have a FAQ thread.

Common questions such as "Is JTF racist?" can be quickly answered with a view of that thread. I think it will clear a lot of things up. Other questions should include answering the vile lies Robert Friedman yemach shemo wrote about the Rav.

Thanks as always,

Yisrael

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version