Author Topic: PBS Show on American Jews  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
PBS Show on American Jews
« on: January 10, 2008, 06:25:08 PM »
Last night(1/9) on ch 13, they aired the first part of a film about Jews in America.  It was very good.  Did anyone here see it?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 03:05:49 PM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: PBS Show on American Jews
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 06:49:22 PM »
What do you think of it?

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 01:50:17 AM »
I read about this in Newsday. Unfortunately, I didn't watch it. I don't really like PBS. First of all, Jews in America are American Jews. The term "Jewish American" is a politically correct and inaccurate one. But putting that aside, what did you like about it?

Offline dejavu

• Full JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 02:31:16 AM »
Joe i have a favor to ask of you, you ask people if they have seen all these different things but you never post any links to places where they can be seen.  Any newspaper article almost can be found somewhere on the web same as almost any tv show that had any substance so please post links if possible.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 06:53:10 AM »
Yes it showed them comming in like 1650 or something like that and fighting in the Revolution against the Brits
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 10:40:00 AM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 10:38:54 AM »
It not hard to look in any paper in New York City to find out when the show airs.  Why should I make it easy for people?  I think next week the next part of the show will be on.  Wedensday, I think.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 03:22:44 PM »
Yes it showed them comming in like 1650 or something like that and fighting in the Revolution against the Brits

yes

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 06:02:14 PM »
I saw it.  I posted a thread about it in the Jewish History section.

Part II of it will be shown this week. 

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 06:04:25 PM »
What do you think about it?  Do you think it was a good account about Jews in America?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 06:04:57 PM »

It mentioned that George Washington visited a synagogue and it also implied that he respected Judaism.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 06:15:55 PM »
What do you think about it?  Do you think it was a good account about Jews in America?

I didn't like how they interviewed Tony Kushner a couple times.  He's said some bad things about Israel in the past. 

I also didn't like how that current Suprepe Court Judge was given a chance to say something. 

Also, Vyfush Finkel was interviewed a little during the last half hour of the program with theatre-related questions.  I think he's defended bad people in the past.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 06:36:37 PM »
I think it's a repeat.  Originally aired about a year ago.  I caught what I could.  Not bad, but I didn't learn anything new really.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 08:11:34 PM by Ari »

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 07:23:02 PM »
He was interviewed to talk about the Yiddish valdviele(sorry about the spelling), on the East Side of New York.

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 07:32:44 PM »
I just happened to catch it while channel surfing after the Terminator season premier.  I don't know too much about American Jewish history because I never had any American Jewish relatives, they were all in Europe and then Israel.  I thought it was fantastic.  I didn't know so many American Jews died in the civil war.     
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 09:50:38 PM »
My father who's kind of a Civil war buff was wondering who many Jews fought in the war.  Only 3,000 for the south and about 7,000 for the north.  Interesting fact that was sheldom known.  You know that blacks claim that we sponsered the slave trade.  They can use this fact against us.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 03:30:19 PM »
I think part II is on tonight.

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 05:35:10 PM »
Yes it is on Ch. 13 at 9 pm

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 06:16:10 PM »
On last night's part, they talked about how FDR kept European Jews who were escaping Hitler from coming to the US for safety from what was happening.  There is another part next week.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 06:22:46 PM »
I think the next part is tonight.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 06:29:22 PM »
On last night's part, they talked about how FDR kept European Jews who were escaping Hitler from coming to the US for safety from what was happening.  There is another part next week.

The program defended FDR for ignoring the Holocaust for most of the time?

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 11:27:46 AM »
They didn't want to blast him too much.  On last night's part, they explained how jews helped blacks during the civil rights movement, then stabbed all the Jewish teachers in New York at the end of the 1960's.  It was very interesting becuse I wasn't born then and I was intrested in how it turned around like that.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 02:13:35 PM »
They mentioned Soviet Jewry at one point during the second hour.  However, the JDL wasn't mentioned.

I think the sponsors of the series consisted of mainly liberal groups.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 02:15:48 PM »
They didn't want to blast him too much.  On last night's part, they explained how jews helped blacks during the civil rights movement, then stabbed all the Jewish teachers in New York at the end of the 1960's.  It was very interesting becuse I wasn't born then and I was intrested in how it turned around like that.

And while many of them were obsessed with trying to helping Blacks, they were mostly ignorant to what was occurring in Israel. 

Unfortunately, it took a war against Israel for some of them to wake up a little.

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 06:25:49 PM »
I don't think they mentioned what Chaim did with the bombings he was involved with.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 06:27:08 PM »
It was a terrible public T.V. programm
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03