Author Topic: Should I move to Israel? Am I even eligible?  (Read 10016 times)

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Re: Should I move to Israel? Am I even eligible?
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2008, 11:52:53 PM »
The reason why the prophets would sometimes be found naked and "out of it" is due to the nature of prophesy and the method of prophesy not because they were crazy. 

I guess it's subjective.  Sure, the nakedness was supposed to be a metaphor for what I think was the poverty if Israel did not turn from its wicked ways, but those around the prophet, they probably had another opinion. 
I didn't mean that they purposely got naked but they were in a certain mental state that made them lose control of this world and this would some times happen.  I would like if you answer the question I asked. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:00:47 AM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline david1967

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2008, 12:58:00 AM »
you need to prove that you have at least one jewish grandparent from either your mother's or father's side of your family.  This is the Israeli law of return.  You will need to show documentation- ketubah-marriage contract, circumcission-brit milah papers and/or gravestones.  If you don't have these, then you will need to convert overseas, it can be a Reform, Conservative or Orthodox conversion and be a part of a Jewish community overseas for at least one year.  If you convert with an Orthodox conversion, you will be allowed to marry in Israel.  Reform and Orthodox conversions are permissible for immigration/aliyah and for saying "Jew" on your teudat zehut/identity card, but not for marriage in Israel.

Offline Khazan

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2008, 01:32:47 AM »
would birth certificates work? 

Offline KansasJew

• Senior JTFer
  • JTF Logo I made
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2008, 01:51:42 AM »
I understand what your dilemma is

I had to convert due to being adopted into a Christian home.

However when I started doing research in my family tree. I found out that on both sides of my biological parents the following.

Father Side: Korn - Jewish Surname back to the 16th Century German
Mother Side: Lorenz - Jewish Surname back to Germany again.
Remember there has to be strong silent men on the walls at night to protect the people. Be Strong but not aggressive. Be Peaceful but not weak. Defend the Jewish People at all cost.

Offline david1967

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2008, 01:56:00 AM »
If the birth certificates were from a Jewish community, I'd say so.  If they were from a country, I'd think that there should be a place on it that said "religion-Jewish", otherwise I don't think it would be acepted.  Contact the Israel Aliyah Center, a shaliach- Israeli rep. to Jewish communities overseas and/or the Israeli embassy for further details. 

Offline Khazan

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2008, 02:18:16 AM »
No one's really practiced the Jewish religion on my mother's side of the family for ages.  I mean, undoubtedly my ancestors were Jews given the fact there are star of davids on the family crest, and of course that Hazen is a Hebrew name.  I'm just hoping should I go to Israel that saying my grandfather's name is Hazen, a Hebrew name, then proving that via my mother's birth certificate would be sufficient given the Law of Return. 

Offline david1967

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2008, 04:49:34 PM »
 That's a good question.  I'm not really sure about how they count the time.  The Israeli Ministry of the Interior/Misrad Hapenim makes these rules.  I think it's one year from the time you convert. 
  Israel won't accept you just on the basis of your last name.  There was so much fraud with the Russian immigration that now the government has become very strict.
  I know that the religious kibbutzim have giyur/conversion programs.  I think they last for a year.  You can apply to a conversion program at a religious kibbutz, and get a visa to go to Israel.  After you're converted, you can apply for aliyah in Israel based on the law of return.  I know that kibbutz Sde Eliyahu near Bet Shean has a giyur/conversion program.  Contact them and other religious kibbutzim for further details.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2008, 05:28:31 PM »
You want to be Jewish, and you want to be Israeli, it really is a no brainer, simply convert, your hebrew is going to have to be good if you are going to live in Israel anyway, part of the conversion process that involves learning hebrew will prepare you for that, two birds with one stone. That advice to check with the Ailyah organization first was the best advice on this whole thread.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.