Author Topic: The "Reform Movement" is at it Again  (Read 2535 times)

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
The "Reform Movement" is at it Again
« on: January 14, 2008, 06:48:16 PM »
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/124501

Reform Movement Challenges Mehadrin Buses

by Hana Levi Julian

(IsraelNN.com) The Israeli Religious Action Center (IRAC) is forcing Israel’s Supreme Court to rule on the legality of a special Egged bus system that is designed to accommodate the unique needs of the hareidi religious public.

The legal arm of the Reform movement, the IRAC is joined in its complaint against the bus system by Israeli-Anglo writer Naomi Ragen.

The petition, which challenges the legality of the “mehadrin” lines’ policy of separate seating for men and women, claims the practice “causes degradation and damage to human dignity.”

Ragen complains that she was “insulted, humiliated and physically threatened” in 2004 when she insisted on sitting in the men’s section of a gender-separate bus line in Jerusalem.

"I have joined with the Centre for Jewish Pluralism, part of the Israel Reform Movement, to file suit against Israel's public bus lines, Egged and Dan, and the Israeli Ministry of Transportation, in the name of women who have suffered abuse or who feel that their human rights have been trampled by the public, sex-segregated mehadrin lines. The suit asks that these buses be suspended until a survey is conducted to gauge the true need for them. If such a need can be proven, the suit asks that provisions be made to clearly mark such buses; that rules governing public behaviour on them be openly displayed, and that provisions be made to protect women passengers from verbal and physical abuse. The petition also demands that alternate public bus lines be made available on the same routes and at the same price."

Reform Jews do not consider themselves bound by Torah mandates such as those relating to separation of the genders, but there are many observant Jews who have difficulty with these issues as well. Many, however, feel more comfortable in such an environment.

“There are lines all over the country, traveling to the same places, in which anyone can sit anywhere they like,” one regular rider on the mehadrin line told IsraelNationalNews.  “There is no reason for a woman to sit in a men’s section on a bus clearly intended to cater to those who observe Torah law,” he said, “other than for the purpose of deliberate provocation.”

The rider, who requested anonymity, likened the situation to that of a woman insisting on using the men’s public restroom. “It’s not illegal for a woman to force her way into a men’s bathroom,” he said. “But it would be unusual and bad-mannered, to say the least.”

The state argues that the seating arrangement is voluntary and that the bus operators do not force passengers to sit in any particular area, but that the restrictions are set by the community served by the line.

The standard Israeli public bus system, in which there is no gender separation on the buses, includes routes traveling to every destination served by the “mehadrin” line.

The separate, “mehadrin” system was created in 2001 in response to a growing demand by hareidi religious Jews for a bus line that would enable men and women to travel separately without being forced into uncomfortably close proximity, especially on crowded buses.

The “mehadrin” line provides for separate seating and offers direct bus service between cities with large hareidi religious populations.

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Zionist Revolutionary

• Pro JTFer
Re: The "Reform Movement" is at it Again
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 07:59:35 PM »
Ragen complains that she was “insulted, humiliated and physically threatened” in 2004 when she insisted on sitting in the men’s section of a gender-separate bus line in Jerusalem.

This fool sits on the mens section of the bus, and she complains she was "insulted, humiliated and physically threatened"?  This is the insanity of the Deformed Movement.  Men are women, women are men, abortions are good, guns are bad, left is right, right is wrong, and everything in between.  What a sick movement.  I used to be affiliated with that movement, and it was just horrific the things they taught.

Offline Nolandforshalom

• Senior JTFer
    • The Jewish Store
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 10:57:03 PM »
Well its good you finally saw the truth  O0
My whole family WAS reform, and I, being Orthodox, have made them much more observant..
http://www.thejewishstore.net
The Place for all your Kahanist, Jewish, and Zionist Shopping Needs!

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 11:19:43 PM »
Well its good you finally saw the truth  O0
My whole family WAS reform, and I, being Orthodox, have made them much more observant..
What about your mother?  I would assume not her...

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 12:02:52 AM »
Why didn't she just take the Non-Mehdarin buses?
Exactly!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 11:31:43 AM »
I mean i'm not going to touch this with a 60 foot pole...but....

geez!! separate seating now for men and women on a stupid bus?!

Ok ok....it's only my opinion..I won't go there...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 02:38:45 PM »
Orthodox men in the diaspora use or can use public busses or trains.

I don't think Naomi Ragen has much to complain about , and I agree with those that say she should have used a regular bus, not a haredi one.

The Reform movement is very weak in israel, but they are working on it. The reason why they are so weak there, is because the reform in its early days was anti zionist (of the secular kind). They did not want a "jewish state". I think they had a saying , something like "Berlin is our jerusalem". And of course they call their places of worship, "temples".  Because they do not look forward to the temple being rebuilt.

Nowadays, like the rest of the western world who they copy, they "recognise israel's right to exist". And of course, they want the "p@lestinians" to love them.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »
I mean i'm not going to touch this with a 60 foot pole...but....

geez!! separate seating now for men and women on a stupid bus?!

Ok ok....it's only my opinion..I won't go there...
Why have mixing that can least to immodesty if there is an alternative?