Author Topic: India launches the Cheapest car in the world  (Read 3125 times)

Offline artgijo

• Junior JTFer
India launches the Cheapest car in the world
« on: January 14, 2008, 06:57:57 AM »
Hi All

India is in the path of enlightenment in science and technology. Recently TATA MOTORS of INDIA launched the cheapest car on earth for middle class for $2500, USD. See all details at:

http://www.tatanano.com/tatamotors/

The technology has been completely developed in INDIA from scratch and it got world attention. It is not only good looking but Technically strong car, with 623cc Engine and a milage of 20km/litre of petrol.

INDIA is the land of Innovation and slowing catching up in world stage, I invite comments from readers worldwide after reading through the details in the site

Regards

GIJO

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Re: India launches the Cheapest car in the world
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 07:01:07 AM »
Yes, Tata motors.  Looked into it as an investing idea, but passed.  Too faddish for my tastes.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 07:03:22 AM »
not my cup of tea..besides very unsafe.

cheaper doesn't mean better.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Kiwi

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 07:12:36 AM »
I think its cute lol  O0

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 07:31:33 AM »
   This is the type of vehicle that we need in the US. Except here, with all the safety and emissions red tape, the vehicle would have to be sold at twice the price. $5000 is the magic price to convince many people to get one of these as a second vehicle solely for commuting purposes. My only problem with this vehicle is that it is a four passenger. It is slightly underpowered for four passengers. It should have plenty of power for one and maybe two. Of course people aren't as overweight in India as they are here. Perhaps that single crack mother with mmmmh nine children and fried chicken, might  buy one if she could save up enough welfare money. I'm sure she would try to fit all nine children in for everyday purposes.

Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 07:34:55 AM »
it looks like a Mecedes.

Ugly as hell.

But for the $$$ , you can't complane.
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 07:36:10 AM »
Well, you're in luck, they're actually supposed to start importing them relatively soon according to an article I read.  They sold pretty well in Europe apparently, or at least a very similar model car did.

Kiwi

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 08:15:58 AM »
Little cars are good, but I drive on of the biggests Fords here in Australia, that is not a 4 wheel drive(SVU).

You can't get stock feed in that little car  :::D

Boeregeneraal

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 08:36:31 AM »
I think its cute lol  O0
yeaaahh......
But try driving that little bug around with no aircon in 45 Degree heat! Oh, and don't think you'll be arriving in the comfort of airconditioning home...well, not driving with a max speed of 60k's

But hey, add airconditioning and a max spead of 11oKm/h, and ill buy this cheap fuel efficient vechile ;)

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 09:21:06 AM »
This company has been around for a long time. I hope they sell this car or its technology to the USA.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline ASHISH

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 11:45:03 AM »
This company has been around for a long time. I hope they sell this car or its technology to the USA.

Proud moment for india by the way are you chinese :P

Offline ASHISH

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 11:46:19 AM »
I think its cute lol  O0
yeaaahh......
But try driving that little bug around with no aircon in 45 Degree heat! Oh, and don't think you'll be arriving in the comfort of airconditioning home...well, not driving with a max speed of 60k's

But hey, add airconditioning and a max spead of 11oKm/h, and ill buy this cheap fuel efficient vechile ;)

They will also be launching ac version but it will be a little more expensive

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 11:48:07 AM »
Imagine if someone got into a car accident with this car and with a normal car...THis car is not worth its cheapness..I would feel more comfortable riding a bike..except i dont' know how to ride one.

Now. no the other hand, if every car was like this cheap one, fine...

also...no air conditioning?  Do you guys realize how humid and hot it can get in India?  Im' sorry, this car is a bad idea and a bad design. No offense Ashish...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 11:51:14 AM »
I am sure generations of Indians travelled without airco.
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 11:53:30 AM »
I am sure generations of Indians travelled without airco.

but not americans...

my point is that cheap isn't necessarily better

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 12:06:35 PM »
of course not Dr.Dan.
I only try to buy products, that are high quality, and mostly , more expensive.

but I don't have the money for a Rolls-Royce.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 10:44:28 AM »

Proud moment for india by the way are you chinese :P

Yes sir!
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline artgijo

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 07:00:00 AM »
Hi All

Cheap means without quality, India has developed techology also to manufacture the car so cheaply. I doubt anyone else can do this at this price. Think about the poorst man in USA, he can also buy this car...

The western/American press was so jealous, they did not even appreciate good things done because, it is affecting their business. Auto Industry worldwide will modify to adjust the market, even before the launch itself, millions of Indians are ready to buy this car, who care about others....

Regards

GIJO

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 07:37:30 AM »
Hi All

Cheap means without quality, India has developed techology also to manufacture the car so cheaply. I doubt anyone else can do this at this price. Think about the poorst man in USA, he can also buy this car...

GIJO

Cheap does not always mean without quality. Things are sometimes cheaper because they are done more efficiently.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

kellymaureen

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 07:49:16 AM »
The auto workers in India probably dont demand to be paid $40 an hour to stand on a line putting a nut on a bolt either. ;)

I dont like small cars, I just dont feel safe in them, but plenty of people drive them so its great they could make something like this.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 08:46:56 AM »
Is there a reason cheap cars look like cereal boxes? Reminds me of those crappy Daewoo cars, yuck.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 02:09:13 PM »
it looks like a Mecedes.

Ugly as hell.

But for the $$$ , you can't complane.

Agreed