Author Topic: Sephardi Sefer Torah  (Read 13221 times)

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
Sephardi Sefer Torah
« on: December 09, 2007, 12:33:27 AM »
With a Sephardi Sefer Torah, how do they lift it up for "v'zot Hatorah", is it not as heavy as it looks, or do they have some other way of lifting it?
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Re: Sephardi Sefer Torah
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 01:41:35 AM »
They do, I've seen it.  It is heavy though as I've carried those Sefrai Torahs a couple of times and they are extremely heavy since they have a bulky metal casing. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
We got muscles. What Askenazim don't lift theirs? - Or actually its smaller right?
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 12:28:40 PM »
We don't have the bulky metal casing that looks like a garbage can  :D.  It's just the scroll by us so it's lighter and easier to hold on to. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 02:15:30 PM »
We got muscles. What Askenazim don't lift theirs? - Or actually its smaller right?
There's a guy at my Shul who's scaringly strong - he could probably carry 4 Sifrei Torah on the nail of his left pinky (a frum Chuck Norris).  There's a funny story with him and and NK guy...  ;D

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 09:38:58 PM »
still some of those Torahs look like they could weigh over 50 pounds and it doesnt look like there is a good way to lift it, no handles on the bottom...
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 11:13:02 PM »
When the Sephardim lift it up to Vsot Habracha, I've seen one guy lifts it off the table and places it on the other guy's hands who shows it so he has some help.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Sefaradi Sefer Torah
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 11:25:48 PM »
There's a guy at my Shul who's scaringly strong - he could probably carry 4 Sifrei Torah on the nail of his left pinky (a frum Chuck Norris).  There's a funny story with him and and NK guy...  ;D

I figured most NK people are normally very submissive.  Once, once told me "the arabs would never have hurt us, we carried their vegetables for them, we were like donkeys for them, we had no problems with them.."  (their idea is that dignity is a foreign notion. As long as they can keep the torah, it is fine).
I have no idea what they would make of the midrash rav kahane ztl used to quote, with observation from the Gerrer Rebbe.  (Why was the torah given on a small mountain.. So we should be humble. OK. so why wasn`t it given in a valley?  Reason is that G-d wanted to teach us that we should not be too humble that we get trodden on. We should be mountains, not arrogant mountains)

What is the story though with the NK guy and the strong sephardi?

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 09:53:18 PM »
why is it that the Sefer Torah cases are different among Ashkenazim and Sefaradi

Ashkenazim do not use a case. Just clothes.

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 09:09:13 PM »
I got called to carry the Torah (sephardic) last week, believe me it is pretty heavy, especially ones with heavy metal cases. The wood 1s arent as heavy.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 10:16:16 PM »

I figured most NK people are normally very submissive.  Once, once told me "the arabs would never have hurt us, we carried their vegetables for them, we were like donkeys for them, we had no problems with them.."  (their idea is that dignity is a foreign notion. As long as they can keep the torah, it is fine).
I have no idea what they would make of the midrash rav kahane ztl used to quote, with observation from the Gerrer Rebbe.  (Why was the torah given on a small mountain.. So we should be humble. OK. so why wasn`t it given in a valley?  Reason is that G-d wanted to teach us that we should not be too humble that we get trodden on. We should be mountains, not arrogant mountains)

What is the story though with the NK guy and the strong Sefaradi?
My Rav was leading a trip to Israel, and when they wanted to get into Meah Shearim, there was an NK guy who wouldn't let them in.  So he grabbed the NK guy, lifted him up, moved him to the side, and they went in (this is my understanding - I wasn't there).

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 08:46:15 PM »
why is it that the Sefer Torah cases are different among Ashkenazim and Sefaradi

The Ashkenazi case is the original, the Sefardic one was influence by Islamic and Turkish Architecture.

that is why their Torah cases look like the minnarets in the Taj Mahal.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 02:02:20 PM »

The Ashkenazi case is the original, the Sefardic one was influence by Islamic and Turkish Architecture.

How do you know thet ?
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 02:19:31 PM »

How do you know thet ?

Here's how:

Compare and contrast.

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline shimon

• Full JTFer
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 02:31:30 PM »
how do you prove that the ashkenaz torah is the real one. i think that the one the jews used thousands of years ago was different then both o=the ashkenaz and sefardi torahs of today

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 02:41:30 PM »
That's not a prove. Maybe the Ashkenazi also got influinced by the Europeans ?
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 02:55:16 PM »

How do you know thet ?

Here's how:

[pictures]
<snip>

ROTFLMAO, you really nailed that point to the wall!

ashkenazim do not really have a case though.. Just a cover.
I read something years ago that the talmud implies it should have a case.. but that article favoured the sephardi.. which you really showed as changed!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 02:57:36 PM »
how do you prove that the ashkenaz torah is the real one. i think that the one the jews used thousands of years ago was different then both o=the ashkenaz and Sefaradi torahs of today

Its the same Torah everwhere where (letter by letter), but this i sjust a discussion about the case. I dont see whats the big deal.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 03:03:36 PM »
how do you prove that the ashkenaz torah is the real one. i think that the one the jews used thousands of years ago was different then both o=the ashkenaz and Sefaradi torahs of today

Its the same Torah everwhere where (letter by letter), but this i sjust a discussion about the case. I dont see whats the big deal.
The sure thing is that the torah we had befor the 5 century BCE was written in diffrent letters.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 03:09:52 PM »

The sure thing is that the torah we had befor the 5 century BCE was written in diffrent letters.

??? , it was allways in Hebrew. Its also commanded to be written down exactly the same letter by letter and crown by crown of each letter from one Sefer to the next, thats why all the Sefer Torah's, no matter if its Sefardi, Askenazi, Yeminite or any other is the same in the inside (the words and letters).

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 03:20:08 PM »
There are 2 different scripts.
ktav ivri and ktav ashuri. The latter - which we use today - is holier.

They are discussed in gemara. Here is a post on it that I posted to SCJM. post 6 in thread.
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.jewish.moderated/browse_frm/thread/57817608d33c4ce5/061b0fe5f48b28a3?hl=en=b0fe5f48b28a3

note- rabbi micha berger kindly posted it to the mail-jewish list too.

"
I was fortunate to receive a book called "The Commentator's Gift of
Torah" by Rabbi Yitzchak Sender (a rosh yeshiva).  It was given to me
as a barmitzva gift by the  Gaon Dayan M Fisher  Z"L .

In Chapter 2, there is a discussion "How was the Torah written" that
discusses the 3 opinions.

the 3 positions are
1 The Torah was originally in hebrew and then ezra changed it to
assyrian script
2 The Torah was originally in assyrian script then it was changed to
hebrew script then ezra changed it back to assyrian
3 The Torah was always in assyrian.

position 1 is held by Mar Ukva and Rabbi Yosi
position 2 is held by Rabbi Yehuda the prince
position 3 is held by Rabbi Elazar of modin

position 1  appears to raise many objections.
a)We are told that the Torah (tablets?) that Moshe received contained
crownlets. Only assyrian contains crownlets.
b)We are told that Mem and Samech are hollow and adhered to the
tablets. This only applies to assyrian (furthermore, Looking at
http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/4_chart.html   ,  none of the letters in
ancient hebrew are hollowed out.)
c)How could Ezra  - the prophet - have had the authority to change the
writing of the Torah to Assyrian. Since the letters of the Torah are
not to be tampered with, not by 'any other prophet'.

The book then mentions the Radvaz's approach discusses the tablets and
answers all the objections raised against position 1.  He says that all
agree that the first set of tablets were written in assyrian. He says
that the rabbis at position 1 hold that the second set of tablets were
written in hebrew. (So I guess the rabbis at position 1 were only
referring to the writen torah when they said the torah was originally
in krav ivri script)
The book goes on to explain that this resolves those objections a b and
c,  of position 1.

objection a   ,  is resolved because the Torah moshe originally
received was written in Ashuri
(I guess the books reasoning is that the first set of tablets were in
ashuri, and perhaps part of the written torah was received in ashuri. I
can't see the reasoning there, lack of information regarding the
receiving of the written torah).

objection b,  is resolved , because - it seems to me from this book -
that chazal say that the miracle of samach and mem adhering only
applied to the first tablets.    (I guess a tradition that the second
tablets were in ktav ivri, is strongly supported here.  Though if the
reason for this miracle not occurring for the second tablets is that
the second tablets was ktav ivri,  then I guess it'd call into question
position 3 )

objection c,  is resolved beucase Ezra was only changing it back to
what it was originally.  (it seems that the book may be implying taht
the whoel written torah was in assyrian)

That's the outline. The book - though informative,  doesn't seem to
touch on this issue of whether it's talking about the written torah or
the tablets. Obviously ezra wasn't rewriting tablets, yet the Radvaz is
talking about tablets, as if that was what all teh positions were based
on.  A relatied issue would be when the written torah was received in
relation to when the tablets were received. All I know regarding is
Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan writes in Handbook Of Jewish Thought Vol 1,  that
the written torah was received in the 1st and 40th year of wondering
the wilderness - 38 year gap where no Torah was received..

I haven't given this as much thought as I should. And I haven't
researched this properly myself by even picking up a Gemara and looking
at te sources myself.  But that's my best attempt for now! No doubt the
issue is of interest to many members of the group, and I hope it helps
fellow googlers, should they chose to look into the issue.

"

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 03:35:57 PM »

??? , it was allways in Hebrew. Its also commanded to be written down exactly the same letter by letter and crown by crown of each letter from one Sefer to the next, thats why all the Sefer Torah's, no matter if its Sefaradi, Askenazi, Yeminite or any other is the same in the inside (the words and letters).
It was always in Hebrew but in diffrent letters:
The Hebrew letters:

The Assryan letters [Ktav Mruba or Ktav Ashuri as q_q_ said]:

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 04:11:14 PM »

How do you know thet ?

Here's how:

[pictures]
<snip>

ROTFLMAO, you really nailed that point to the wall!

ashkenazim do not really have a case though.. Just a cover.
I read something years ago that the talmud implies it should have a case.. but that article favoured the Sefaradi.. which you really showed as changed!

Thanks for recognizing the skillz.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 06:31:10 PM »
I read a better article about this issue. It says the Talmud Yerushalmi statesthat the letters on the Luchot that stood by a miracle were the circular letters IN THE OLD Hebrew script (not the ones circular in the current script we have like Samach and Mem Sofit, differing from the Babli).  So according to Yerushalmi the Luchot were written also in the Old Hebrew script and not in our script.

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 10:58:21 PM »
I read a better article about this issue. It says the Talmud Yerushalmi statesthat the letters on the Luchot that stood by a miracle were the circular letters IN THE OLD Hebrew script (not the ones circular in the current script we have like Samach and Mem Sofit, differing from the Babli).  So according to Yerushalmi the Luchot were written also in the Old Hebrew script and not in our script.

The Yerushalmi is usually more down to earth than the Bavli, so I would trust the Yerushalmi on this issue.