Author Topic: What do you do when you're depressed??  (Read 2045 times)

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
What do you do when you're depressed??
« on: January 20, 2008, 09:51:19 PM »
How do people on the forum fight depression?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: What do you do when you're depressed??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 09:54:40 PM »
read, exercise, hang out with friends, go outside, hang out with family and children.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:11:11 PM »
Good question, but I'm the wrong person to ask on this, lol.

kellymaureen

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 10:17:52 PM »

why are you the wrong person?

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 11:12:53 PM »
bling bling

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 11:13:07 PM »
I try not to get myself depressed.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 11:17:21 PM »

One should never be depressed. We should look at how much we have every second, WOOW look at this world. You have a device where you punch in some numbers and are able to speak to people across the world, what a world.( and this is only the beginning, and something that everyone can see) Whats their to be depressed about?
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 11:21:33 PM »
When I get depressed, I usually think of the grand scheme of things, and realize that the reasons I'm depressed are trivial.  I don't know how to explain it any better than you must snap out of it and change the way you perceive your life.  Think of all the good things you have going for you.  Unless you have terminal cancer or are severely mentally or physically handicapped, chances are you have many more things going for you at any point in time than you have against you.  Always keep things in perspective because when you're depressed you only focus on the negative and completely ignore the positive. 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 11:25:46 PM »
When I get depressed, I usually think of the grand scheme of things, and realize that the reasons I'm depressed are trivial.  I don't know how to explain it any better than you must snap out of it and change the way you perceive your life.  Think of all the good things you have going for you.  Unless you have terminal cancer or are severely mentally or physically handicapped, chances are you have many more things going for you at any point in time than you have against you.  Always keep things in perspective because when you're depressed you only focus on the negative and completely ignore the positive. 

I know it sounds selfish but sometimes I just think that my life is going nowhere...career, social life etc...and it goes on this way for years..And the feeling gets amplified over and over.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 11:29:42 PM by ItalianZionist »

Offline whywhywhy

• Full JTFer
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 11:35:08 PM »
I count my blessings

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 12:19:21 AM »
Staying busy and occupied is one of the best ways to avoid or deal with depression. Exercise, watching comedy, eat chocolate, and just throw your head back and laugh about it. If depression becomes extreme and/or chronic, the best thing to do is to seek out therapy and possibly take medication. There's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of this. (Don't listen to the stupid and insane Tom Cruise type, he's probably bipolar and needs medication more than just about anyone!)

I think that one of the best ways of dealing with depression is NOT to fight the feeling or think there's anything wrong with feeling depressed or beat yourself up for feeling this way. This only leads to feeling even more depressed and only serves to aggravate the feelings of depression. The best thing to do is to "accept" these depressed feelings and to remind yourself that it's perfectly normal and okay to feel this way and to be aware that eventually the feelings will pass and that good things and good feelings will eventually come. Time, Love, and Tenderness!

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 12:23:15 AM »
Well, Kelly, because I get depressed a hell of a lot myself, lol.  I think it's hard not to in the world we live in.  Not that I'm a total sad sack, I do have my fun and good times too, but I'm analytical by nature and tend to do a lot of thinking about different issues and this often leaves me feeling sad because I feel rather helpless in terms of changing them. 

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 12:26:30 AM »
Well, Kelly, because I get depressed a hell of a lot myself, lol.  I think it's hard not to in the world we live in.  Not that I'm a total sad sack, I do have my fun and good times too, but I'm analytical by nature and tend to do a lot of thinking about different issues and this often leaves me feeling sad because I feel rather helpless in terms of changing them. 

I can certainly identify with this. I can tend to analyze and overanalyze things and obsess and ruminate over certain situations that have happened by looking at it from every different possible angle and then some. A little insight and analysis can be good and beneficial. But overanalyzing can lead to obsessions and ruminations which can take over your whole life if you're not careful and can lead to OCD. I've been through these types of episodes too many times. I do the best I can not to allow myself to fall into these traps anymore. There's no point to it and it can only lead to self-destruction!

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 12:30:47 AM »

I can certainly identify with this. I can tend to analyze and overanalyze things and obsess and ruminate over certain situations that have happened by looking at it from every different possible angle and then some. A little insight and analysis can be good and beneficial. But overanalyzing can lead to obsessions and ruminations which can take over your whole life if you're not careful and can lead to OCD. I've been through these types of episodes too many times. I do the best I can not to allow myself to fall into these traps anymore. There's no point to it and it can only lead to self-destruction!

I think when you see that things don't change in your life, you get depressed.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 12:50:29 AM »
Extremely well stated, Mills!

Offline Nolandforshalom

• Senior JTFer
    • The Jewish Store
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 12:54:44 AM »
I meditate, or read Psalms. I frequently am depressed, but it comes and goes  :-\
http://www.thejewishstore.net
The Place for all your Kahanist, Jewish, and Zionist Shopping Needs!

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 01:16:13 AM »
Thanks for the tips. O0

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 05:04:56 PM »
Depression usually comes because of some wrong doing that one has commited, the best way to not have it is to correct that wrong-doing, and also to keep bissy and have Emuna that G-d will heal you and bring happiness in the future. In your mind you have to borrow the happiness you will feel in the future and bring it down to the now.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 05:42:36 PM »
I always get depressed because i confuse myself a lot of the time and other times i just feel alone.

To overcome it, i usually start joking around and going a bit hyper with my friends. Friends and a social-life get rid of depression pretty quickly.

Great Tips Mills. I'm going to choose psychology as a future subject next year, it sounds great.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 06:22:40 PM »
It is a great mitzvah to be happy always!

Make every effort to maintain a happy, positive outlook at all times. It is a natural human tendency to become discouraged and depressed because of the hard sh i ps of life: everyone has their full share of suffering. That is why you must force yourself to be happy at all times. Use every possible way to bring yourself to joy, even by joking or acting a little crazy!

Likutey Moharan II, 24

Offline yeshuadisciple

• Full JTFer
  • My crazy parrot
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 07:09:23 PM »
I make sure I'm eating right, exercising and getting enough sleep first of all.  Then if it persists I like to pray and read the Bible.  I can't explain it, but when I pray the peace of God flows through me.  Sometimes depression is the result of life circumstances, if that's the case it's okay to be depressed.  King David certainly had his share of depression as evidenced by the Psalms of David. 
And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.  And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.
Zechariah 12:9-10

"Seventy weeks have been decreed for your people and your holy city, to finish the transgression, to make an end of sin, to make atonement for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the most holy place.  "So you are to know and discern that from the issuing of a decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until Messiah the Prince there will be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks; it will be built again, with plaza and moat, even in times of distress.  "Then after the sixty-two weeks the Messiah will be cut off and have nothing, and the people of the prince who is to come will destroy the city and the sanctuary And its end will come with a flood; even to the end there will be war; desolations are determined.  "And he will make a firm covenant with the many for one week, but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering; and on the wing of abominations will come one who makes desolate, even until a complete destruction, one that is decreed, is poured out on the one who makes desolate."
Daniel 9:24-27

My lovely wife

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 07:44:05 PM »
I meditate, or read Psalms. I frequently am depressed, but it comes and goes  :-\

Great to hear you meditate and read Psalms O0

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 09:45:21 PM »
The best way to fight depression is with an excessive consumption of alcohol. It always works for me.
"We are in 1938, and Iran is Germany"

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 10:06:36 PM »
The best way to fight depression is with an excessive consumption of alcohol. It always works for me.

It will only create more problems in the long run. If one trains oneself that outside stimuli is needed to be happy, then they will be an addict out of control (G-d forbid).