Author Topic: Platypus an Aussie Icon  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
Platypus an Aussie Icon
« on: February 01, 2008, 03:45:03 AM »

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Platypus an Aussie Icon
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 09:47:12 AM »
I think they're very cool. That "beak" picks up on prey in the mud which the platypus eats. They're extremely suited to their environment.

The platypus is also a monotreme, a very primitive type of reptile like mammal. Like reptiles, it has one hole for both reproduction and waste, called a cloaca, and it lays eggs.

The males have a venomous spur that causes pain so bad that morphine doesn't help. You have to ask for a "nerve block" which is the only thing that will stop the horrible pain.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 02:39:46 AM »
They look like beavers with duck masks! O0

newman

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 02:42:39 AM »
They're not as rare as many think. They're quite plentiful in creeks in the suburbs around large cities. They're just shy and evasive.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 06:50:18 PM »
They're not as rare as many think. They're quite plentiful in creeks in the suburbs around large cities. They're just shy and evasive.

Aren't they poisonous! If i'm not wrong they have a venomous claw behind their heels.

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 06:51:52 PM »

Aren't they poisonous! If i'm not wrong they have a venomous claw behind their heels.

Yes very poisonous