Poll

Should they be banned for Jews?

Yes, all male-female interdancing except between a husband and wife in private should be banned.
10 (28.6%)
Yes, "proms" are not Jewish but general male-female interdancing should not be banned.
4 (11.4%)
No.
21 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Should Jews Participate In Senior Proms?  (Read 121251 times)

Just Erica

Re: Should senior "proms" be banned for Jews?
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 07:58:34 PM »
I don't think male-female interdancing is prohibited for Gentiles so this question is strictly for Jews.

I think they should be banned and I'm very grateful I never went to the one my high school had. I was never into that nonsense even when I did believe in male-female interdancing. I knew I'm Jewish and that "proms" are not a Jewish thing.

NO. They shouldn't be banned. And just for the record, Proms aren't a Christian thing either. Its a celebration of a class graduating from High school and becoming young adults!

And interdancing... Yacov, stop picking on celebrations that actually make others happy.
If it's immodest, I don't care who it makes happy.

I agree some can be very eye opening.
What the prom, itself or some of the prom dresses?

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 08:22:53 PM »
So Torah observant Jews are now "losers and degenerates"?

The rabbis already banned it in The Talmud as a fence around The Torah I believe.

No, Torah observant Jews are not losers or degenerates..but these banning polls are beginning to make you look like one...Ban going to the prom for yourself, but don't ruin it for everyone else who wants to go and those who go purely for the fun of it and not sexual reasons... Not everything is tied to sex..maybe to you it is because you are deprived, but that's not either here nor there.

personally, I went with my close friend and we didnt' drink or do the whole limo thing. We went out to lunch the next day and went to Central park

no sex, no kissing no nothing...and we had a nice time bonding. She's currently married with two children.

and i know plenty of people who go with their friends..It's a fun thing for seniors in highschool...and if there are Jews going to public school we hope that their parents are teaching them to behave and not give into peer pressure. Those that go and have sex and get drunk and do drugs are the evil ones..not if a curious boy wants to dance with a girl..There is nothing evil about that...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:30:58 PM by Dr. Dan »
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 08:24:03 PM »
We never had them, but who cares, its not a religious thing, of course Jews should go.

I only went to once "dance" in my lifetime and it was from Hebrew School. I didn't have a good time anyway because all the girls had dates so I had no one to dance with anyway.

They called it a "Confirmation dance" because many self-hating Jews have "Confirmations" when they are 15 so they had it for the 10th Graders at my Hebrew School because it was a "community Hebrew School" and not part of one movement so they had to cater to the Deformed people who have Christian celebrations ("Confirmations") disguised as Jewish celebrations in their Deformed synagogues. I never had one and I only went to the dance because I wasn't modest yet then and I wanted to dance with women for lustful reasons. Now I know it is wrong to want to dance with women other than my wife and I regret attending. Maybe G-d punished me for it by making me not have a good time but actually He was probably blessing me by preventing me from sinning. The dance was in a ballroom at a Deform synagogue. I think they had a disco ball hanging from the ceiling and I didn't see the part of the building where the Deforms pray in.

That must explain your bitterness of proms and valentine's day...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 08:25:46 PM »
I don't think male-female interdancing is prohibited for Gentiles so this question is strictly for Jews.

I think they should be banned and I'm very grateful I never went to the one my high school had. I was never into that nonsense even when I did believe in male-female interdancing. I knew I'm Jewish and that "proms" are not a Jewish thing.

NO. They shouldn't be banned. And just for the record, Proms aren't a Christian thing either. Its a celebration of a class graduating from High school and becoming young adults!

And interdancing... Yacov, stop picking on celebrations that actually make others happy.

Proms might not be Christian but they are Gentile and go against Jewish tradition.

So it's sinful in the Jewish religion to celebrate graduating from High school?

No but it is sinful to dance with members of the opposite sex unless it is your spouse and in private.

Once again you are showing your "brilliant" affirmative action "logic".

You are the one seeking to ban fun from people's lives. But I'm showing "affirmative action" logic? What does that mean, anyway, Yacov? I attend a Marine Corps ball with my husband every year and enjoy dancing with my friends AND with my husband. I guess I'm going to hell in a handbasket, huh?  ::)

I said this only applies for Jews. But are your friends that you are dancing with men? If so, it is adultery and even Gentiles shouldn't do that.

Affirmative action logic is the inability to comprehend basic things.

It's adultary if you haev sex or come close to it and do somethign intimate...

Dancing is hardly intimate in my culture...but one can make it that way if they make it their intention.

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 08:26:57 PM »
This is not a simple question as you think.  We are not allowed to impose restrictions on our fellow Jews on things that may be technically allowed Rabbinically and Biblically.  This voilates the Torah prohibition of going to the right of what the Torah teaches.  Although many religious Jews including me and everyone on this forum don't think it is propper to dance with a single girl and every Rabbi will tell you that it is not propper to do so (and the Jews of old didn't do this), if you investigate the matter, this is going beyond the letter of the law to those that adhere to the Rambam and the Ramban and it is really not violating any Rabbinical or Biblical ruling so we can not make it forbidden, we can just discourage it.  This is especially pertinant to Baal Tshuva's and Baal Tshuvah Yeshivas that try to bring close not religious Jews.  These Jews want to have a prom and look forward to it and having one will bring them closer to Judaism since they will like the School and not think the religious are fanatics.

So wise...love it!

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2008, 08:27:43 PM »
We never had them, but who cares, its not a religious thing, of course Jews should go.

I only went to once "dance" in my lifetime and it was from Hebrew School. I didn't have a good time anyway because all the girls had dates so I had no one to dance with anyway.

They called it a "Confirmation dance" because many self-hating Jews have "Confirmations" when they are 15 so they had it for the 10th Graders at my Hebrew School because it was a "community Hebrew School" and not part of one movement so they had to cater to the Deformed people who have Christian celebrations ("Confirmations") disguised as Jewish celebrations in their Deformed synagogues. I never had one and I only went to the dance because I wasn't modest yet then and I wanted to dance with women for lustful reasons. Now I know it is wrong to want to dance with women other than my wife and I regret attending. Maybe G-d punished me for it by making me not have a good time but actually He was probably blessing me by preventing me from sinning. The dance was in a ballroom at a Deform synagogue. I think they had a disco ball hanging from the ceiling and I didn't see the part of the building where the Deforms pray in.

He is good kid,  Doc just a little high strung.

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2008, 08:31:52 PM »

He is a good kid...But needs to be steered with the proper Jewish mindset...

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2008, 08:33:51 PM »

How is dressing up in a prom gown and tuxedo immodest?
Are you kidding me?

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2008, 09:17:40 PM »

He is a good kid...But needs to be steered with the proper Jewish mindset...

Good luck Doc with that  O0

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2008, 09:23:10 PM »
NO, I think Proms are a part of life for High School Seniors and the whole event could be conducted in a proper and decent manner!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 09:28:31 PM »

How is dressing up in a prom gown and tuxedo immodest?

Same Prom gowns are very tart like, but Tuxes are very nice.

Offline shimon

• Full JTFer
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2008, 09:31:03 PM »
interdancing is not banned just touching others while dancing. my rabbi said that in the times of the gemara people would modestly dance  but they used tissues so they were not actually touching.

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 09:37:21 PM »
   There is nothing immoral about men and women dancing together and while many orthodox traditions prohibit it, nothing in the Torah does. The talmud only vaguely does by commanding people to follow the rabbis of the time. The problem is that if you isolate men and women too much, you end up with a lot of single people. G-d's will is for righteous people to marry and have responsible families so proms should not only be allowed, but should be encouraged. It is only some of the bad things that happen at proms that should be banned.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

• Master JTFer
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 10:31:52 PM »
The dancing is the immodest part.

Bumping and grinding are immodest along with many other types of dancing, however, the act of just dancing
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2008, 10:34:12 PM »

Bumping and grinding are immodest along with many other types of dancing, however, the act of just dancing
Men and women dancing together is immodest.

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Just Erica

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 10:34:41 PM »

Bumping and grinding isn't allowed at proms...there are adults there who talk to the students about that kind of dancing. However I don't understand how 'just dancing' is immodest. What's wrong with dancing?

Just Erica

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2008, 10:35:02 PM »

Men and women dancing together is immodest.
Not true.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2008, 10:38:36 PM »

Geez for have far more fun at your dances than we had.  :-\

Just Erica

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2008, 10:40:28 PM »

What dances were you allowed to do, temple?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2008, 10:43:37 PM »

We had old fashion ballroom dancing.  :::D

Just Erica

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2008, 10:45:11 PM »

I remember square dancing in elementary school. It was both exhausting and embarrassing at the same time. (The record kept skipping. lol)

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2008, 10:46:17 PM »

I remember square dancing in elementary school. It was both exhausting and embarrassing at the same time. (The record kept skipping. lol)

Square dancing that always looks fun. Only ever seen it on the TV.

Offline Gruzinit

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2008, 10:47:19 PM »
I went to my senior prom, and I turned out fine.  ::)

As I recall we did some old fashion line dancing...
The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money. – Alexis de Tocqueville

Communism is like prohibition, it's a good idea but it won't work. - Will Rogers

Just Erica

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2008, 10:51:02 PM »

Square dancing that always looks fun. Only ever seen it on the TV.

I remember the first time I ever saw anyone square dance ... It was on an episode of Hee Haw (I was really little though). When we tried it in 1st grade, and once we got the hang of "Prominade, one-in-all!", they gave us little country outfits to wear, topped with straw cowboy hats and had us put on a show. I'm sure to the parents we were the bees' knees but I remember a lot of us complaining about how our backs, ankles and legs hurt.  :::D

• Master JTFer
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2008, 10:52:17 PM »

I never had restrictions on what types of dancing I could do. Of course I never participated in any dancing that was dirty. I like the country dances, because they are traditional. To be honest though, I'm not an expert on dancing. I didn't go to my prom because I could not find a date, which is not entirely true because I didn't want to go with the ones that asked me out.