Author Topic: Regarding Lisa post in the Should women wear pants thread.  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
Regarding Lisa post in the Should women wear pants thread.
« on: January 28, 2008, 06:36:51 PM »
Here's my perspective on the whole pants/skirts issue as a Jewish woman. 

I think a skirt can be immodest just as very low rise or tight pants can be immodest.  It all depends on the style. 

But there's one more thing.  Regardless of their religious beliefs (or lack thereof) many women will find ways of showing off their bodies.  I have seen this first hand   There was a woman in my parents synagogue wearing a long modest skirt.  But her top was skin tight, and *really* emphasized her cleavage.  And somehow I did not think it was a matter of not being able to afford a properly fitting top. 

Anyway, at another singles event, there was the wife of this rabbi wearing a long, modest skirt, but again, her top was skin tight, which emphasized *everything.*  And I doubt these are the only two women wearing tight tops. 

A cousin of mine married a nice religious Jewish girl.  She and I were talking, and she said flat out this it's natural for young women who want to show off their bodies.  She also said that many religious girls get around the long skirt rule by wearing very tight clothes. 

I agree with you Lisa about the clothes, if a woman wishes to get around the rules she will.

Now my opinion

As I have always pointed out clothes don't make the man or woman, its the man or woman that makes the clothes.

I have met many loose woman that look the picture of righteousness, and use the look to hide their sins.

I have met righteous woman that would be outwardly seen as immoral, and very far from the truth.

Its totally shallow to judge a person solely on their appearance.

newman

Re: Regarding Lisa post in the Should women wear pants thread.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 06:48:21 PM »
Torah is for all time.

Rabbinical rulings, fences and technicalities are subject to the times.

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 06:56:17 PM »
Torah is for all time.

But only The Sanhedrin can change that.

Do you believe people will not change things to suit their needs?

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »
Torah is for all time.

Yes they are.  We really could use a Sanhedrin to update the Rabbinical rulings and to make some new ones like to spit on a Koran eveytime you see one.  And also to execute a few thousand traitors.  Sadly, our leaders are too wimpy to do what needs to be done and too divided at this point to make a universal Sanhedrin.  I hope sometime soon one is made. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD