Author Topic: Ancient Israel martial arts? Yehoshua Sofer  (Read 9620 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 07:02:35 PM by Cohen »

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Ancient Israel martial arts? Yehoshua Sofer
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 09:01:03 AM »
I think he has a site on the internet look up Abir.Yes here it is             http://www.abirwarriorarts.com/
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 07:24:06 PM »
he is heavily qualified in other (non jewish) arts.

If he does have a tradition, it is very broken, and it seems be is really using the non jewish arts, removing any idolatry, and giving them a jewish dash of paint. reshaping those arts somehow, using hebrew letters and concepts

i saw a thread in a forum where somebody posted a clip of this guy doing something with a sword, as if it is uniqique to the Abir system. And he guy posted a clip of some other guy doing the exact same thing - not Abir.

It is just like an oriental martial art

If the oriental martial arts were so great, then i think we would see them in UFC more. UFC has highlighted that to fight well you need standup skills - like boxing. And ground fighting skills, like jiu jitsu.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 07:25:33 PM »
he is heavily qualified in other (non jewish) arts.

If he does have a tradition, it is very broken, and it seems be is really using the non jewish arts, removing any idolatry, and giving them a jewish dash of paint. reshaping those arts somehow, using hebrew letters and concepts

i saw a thread in a forum where somebody posted a clip of this guy doing something with a sword, as if it is uniqique to the Abir system. And he guy posted a clip of some other guy doing the exact same thing - not Abir.

It is just like an oriental martial art

If the oriental martial arts were so great, then i think we would see them in UFC more. UFC has highlighted that to fight well you need standup skills - like boxing. And ground fighting skills, like jiu jitsu.

Well also ancient martial arts are a little ineffective in todays world, they are more a art than a fighting or combat system. I believe Brazilian Ju Jitsu is used primarily in UFC because it has a lot to do with ground moves and grappling.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 07:33:01 PM »
jiu jitsu generally.

marc laimon has beaten a gracie . jiu jitsu vs bjj.  He said their BJJ is actually quite poorly done - relative to the way he does things..
The gracies invented BJJ.

The reason why you associate UFC with BJJ, is because of the Gracie relationship to UFC. THe early UFCs were won by Royce Gracie, who beat much bigger and heavier and stronger opponents. at a time when nobody had heard of jiu jitsu. He also invented the UFC idea itself I think.

Also, somebody said that some BJJ clubs are a bit gay. So if going into it, I would stick to jiu jitsu.. though personally i am not sure about them either. If they wore trousers and shirts it is ok! Remember, this is on hte ground. I would not want some guy to wrap his legs around my head or lie on top of me bare chested. - with me bare chested too. That is horrible to me.  I think I mentioned that in another thread.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 07:41:20 PM »
jiu jitsu generally.

marc laimon has beaten a gracie . jiu jitsu vs bjj.  He said their BJJ is actually quite poorly done - relative to the way he does things..
The gracies invented BJJ.

The reason why you associate UFC with BJJ, is because of the Gracie relationship to UFC. THe early UFCs were won by Royce Gracie, who beat much bigger and heavier and stronger opponents. at a time when nobody had heard of jiu jitsu. He also invented the UFC idea itself I think.

Also, somebody said that some BJJ clubs are a bit gay. So if going into it, I would stick to jiu jitsu.. though personally i am not sure about them either. If they wore trousers and shirts it is ok! Remember, this is on hte ground. I would not want some guy to wrap his legs around my head or lie on top of me bare chested. - with me bare chested too. That is horrible to me.  I think I mentioned that in another thread.

True, but I am wondering how authentic this "Abir" is or if it's been modified to "appeal" to people? Many comment his form is unusual.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 07:42:46 PM »
There is nothing "ancient Israel" about Yehoshua Sofer's style.  He simply took other existing forms of martial arts from China and Japan and used them to make his own techniques.  I showed my father one of his videos and he recognized some of the guy's moves and their style but I forgot what he said since that was a while ago.
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 08:01:31 PM »
There is nothing "ancient Israel" about Yehoshua Sofer's style.  He simply took other existing forms of martial arts from China and Japan and used them to make his own techniques.  I showed my father one of his videos and he recognized some of the guy's moves and their style but I forgot what he said since that was a while ago.

Did Israel have any ancient martial arts?

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 08:15:55 PM »
Nope, they didn't have any.
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 08:18:22 PM »

What type of unarmed combat did they engage in then?

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 08:27:05 PM »

They were never unarmed.  They engaged in close combat with swords. 

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 08:29:33 PM »

They were never unarmed.  They engaged in close combat with swords. 

I will have to create a new thread about this then as I know nothing about the Ancient Israelite military system or the swords they used. I figured maybe they had some sort of fighting system in the event they couldn't get to their sword.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 08:32:13 PM »
I think my father said that all this guy's moves were using circular motion which is characteristic of Kung Fu so the guy has a Kung Fu martial arts style.  It takes a long time to learn Kung Fu as Karate is much easier to learn as per my father.  He says Shotokan Karate style is the easiest to learn. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 08:36:31 PM by jdl4ever »

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 08:39:32 PM »
I think my father said that all this guy's moves were using circular motion which is characteristic of Kung Fu so the guy has a Kung Fu martial arts style.  It takes a long time to learn Kung Fu as Karate is much easier to learn as per my father.  He says Shotokan Karate style is the easiest to learn. 

Oh ok, so this is more of a scam then? Do you think it would be pointless to learn Abir?

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 08:44:45 PM »
I think that if you want to learn this fighting style for the "style" then it is indeed a scam as his "style" is simply Kung Fu (or some similar pre-existing style from Asia) and thousands of Karate Schools teach Kung Fu and the various pre-existing styles.  If you want to learn his "method" which combines spirituality with fighting then he is unique and it would be worthwhile if this is your intention since regular schools either teach simply the style alone or combining chinease/japanese/or buddhist culture with the style and none combine Judaism with the style. 

Offline KansasJew

• Senior JTFer
  • JTF Logo I made
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 02:18:32 AM »
Most martial arts come from the Base system of Chin-Fa which is a ancient art of boxing out of China. Which they got from studying anicent martial arts practiced by Indian Monks.
Remember there has to be strong silent men on the walls at night to protect the people. Be Strong but not aggressive. Be Peaceful but not weak. Defend the Jewish People at all cost.