Author Topic: Something to think about with Obama  (Read 4012 times)

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Something to think about with Obama
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:55:41 AM »
If Obama wins, his presidency will be the one that will be immortalized... not Reagan's or anyone else. 

It will be Obama.  And I guarantee they will put his face on every coin, stamp, and bill they can find.  They will celebrate his birthday as a national holiday... even if he does nothing in office.   Our children wont know who Abraham Lincoln is, but they will certainly know who Obama is.    We all know why this is, but I just want to warn all of you.

Brian

Offline abdithefaithful

• Full JTFer
Re: Something to think about with Obama
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 07:10:04 AM »
It's probably not much of a stretch to say that if "Obama" does indeed win the presidency, not only will children not be made aware of who Abraham Lincoln was, but if those who have taken on the responsibility of teaching our children American History in our public schools ever dare to mutter the name "Abraham Lincoln" under their breath to our children, they will find themselves discharged from their teaching position, publicly humiliated and probably put out on the streets with the mere clothes on their back and left to rot in the most inclement of weather conditions. If "Obama" becomes president the, ahem, "lessons" that our children will be taught in our public school system will change "drastically" (and that's putting it mildly).
If you don't like The Great Chaim, then you sure as heck wouldn't like me!

Just Erica

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:31:40 AM »
It's probably not much of a stretch to say that if "Obama" does indeed win the presidency, not only will children not be made aware of who Abraham Lincoln was, but if those who have taken on the responsibility of teaching our children American History in our public schools ever dare to mutter the name "Abraham Lincoln" under their breath to our children, they will find themselves discharged from their teaching position, publicly humiliated and probably put out on the streets with the mere clothes on their back and left to rot in the most inclement of weather conditions. If "Obama" becomes president the, ahem, "lessons" that our children will be taught in our public school system will change "drastically" (and that's putting it mildly).
Speaking as a future educator, you are so wrong on many levels.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 11:49:18 AM »

Ive been an educator my whole life, in every level from elementary to post-graduate.  I know how the school system works and who comes up with curriculum.  TRUST ME ON THIS!!!!  Obama's face will grace every history and poly sci book.

Brian

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 11:51:08 AM »
One thing is certain.  If Obama is the next president, he will also be the last president.

Just Erica

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 12:40:34 PM »

Ive been an educator my whole life, in every level from elementary to post-graduate.  I know how the school system works and who comes up with curriculum.  TRUST ME ON THIS!!!!  Obama's face will grace every history and poly sci book.

Brian
How do you know this if there has never been a black President in office? How do you know for sure that that's exactly what's going to happen. You may be uber knowledgable about curriculum but you're wrong about Obama being treated better than other Presidents...you see how many people dislike him here. Also, the only book Obama's name will  be fundamentally printed in will be the African American History book. Don't worry, there's only about 300 pages in that book. The American History book will mention him, just lke it mentions MLK and Malcom X. They rated a couple of pages each.

Nothing will change.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 01:30:28 PM »
...but Erica much emphasis is placed on MLK in school curriculum's.  Too much emphasis in my opinion.  My child came home to tell me how wonderful MLK was and that he fought for all people to get along.  I thought he was fighting for the equal rights of BLACK people.  I explained that to her.  I think Obama will also be put up on the same pedestal if he becomes President.  I can think of other historical figures that should get the same emphasis as MLK...like some of our founding fathers.  Believe me they don't.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 01:34:46 PM »
I believe Malcolm X and MLK belong only in Black American History books.  What did they contribute to American society as a whole? 

Just Erica

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 05:55:29 PM »
...but Erica much emphasis is placed on MLK in school curriculum's.  Too much emphasis in my opinion.  My child came home to tell me how wonderful MLK was and that he fought for all people to get along.  I thought he was fighting for the equal rights of BLACK people.  I explained that to her.  I think Obama will also be put up on the same pedestal if he becomes President.  I can think of other historical figures that should get the same emphasis as MLK...like some of our founding fathers.  Believe me they don't.
Once a month schools talk about MLK, not every day (If you're not taking and African American History Class). He was fighting for the rights for all people to get along but started by having others understand that blacks should be treated equally. I guess our children are given different curriculums because my children always come home with reading material based on George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and even George Washington's lives. I tutor them on their readings and have them review it because it's important history. George Washington was America's first  President.... Abraham Lincoln passed the Emancipation Proclaimation which freed slaves. MLK isn't, and never was a President but he's important to history because he made it possible for blacks to attend the schools they wanted. No black HAS TO sit at the back of the bus if they don't want to. Because of what MLK did, my children are free to play with all nationalities of children and learn about their cultures. This may not be important to you and may very well not be something you subscribe to but it is important to those who the history directly affects.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 06:58:13 PM »
Erica - you made my point in the last sentence of your post.

He was fighting for the rights of all people  ;)   :::D Try telling that to someone younger.
I was alive when MLK was assassinated Erica.  A little girl but I remember him.  So I'm not buying the revisionist view of history.

Just Erica

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 09:16:42 PM »
Erica - you made my point in the last sentence of your post.

He was fighting for the rights of all people  ;)   :::D Try telling that to someone younger.
I was alive when MLK was assassinated Erica.  A little girl but I remember him.  So I'm not buying the revisionist view of history.

Then please, don't buy it. If you really don't want to know what I think, don't ask questions. You may be against everyone of every race getting along but not everyone is. It's not something that's forced. In fact tolerance is the opposite of something that's forced. Tolerance is a chosen action. If you don't want to tolerate certain people, you don't have to. We're all different and hold different views for a reason.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 10:06:27 PM »
Erica - We were talking about MLK.  MLK was fighting for the equal rights of BLACK people.  He didn't really give a darn if we all got along.  You might be mixing him up with Rodney King.

What a terrible way to describe getting along with people of different races, religions, and cultures.  Tolerance.  It is so nice of you to tolerate everyone.  I don't want to be tolerated.  I want people to associate with me based on what kind of human being I am.  That is how I choose the people I associate with...not based on race.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 10:07:36 PM »

Fighting for equal rights for BLACK people is a contradiction. When you fight for equal rights, then you must fight for equal rights for ALL people, otherwise it's not "equal" rights.

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 11:19:18 PM »
...but Erica much emphasis is placed on MLK in school curriculum's.  Too much emphasis in my opinion.  My child came home to tell me how wonderful MLK was and that he fought for all people to get along.  I thought he was fighting for the equal rights of BLACK people.  I explained that to her.  I think Obama will also be put up on the same pedestal if he becomes President.  I can think of other historical figures that should get the same emphasis as MLK...like some of our founding fathers.  Believe me they don't.

Fighting for equal rights for BLACK people is a contradiction. When you fight for equal rights, then you must fight for equal rights for ALL people, otherwise it's not "equal" rights.
true, yet no person fights for equality of all, just equality of "himself" or "his people", as in he wont be subjugated below someone else
KAHANE TZADAK!

Just Erica

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 11:39:25 PM »
Erica - We were talking about MLK.  MLK was fighting for the equal rights of BLACK people.  He didn't really give a darn if we all got along.  You might be mixing him up with Rodney King.

What a terrible way to describe getting along with people of different races, religions, and cultures.  Tolerance.  It is so nice of you to tolerate everyone.  I don't want to be tolerated.  I want people to associate with me based on what kind of human being I am.  That is how I choose the people I associate with...not based on race.

Bullcat, I know what I'm talking about. Surely if MLK was only about black people getting equal rights, he'd have been against whites. He wouldn't have befriended white people. He wouldn't have encouraged blacks and whites get along with each other dispite our differences (not violence related) .

And quit acting as though I made up words here. You've heard of tolerance before. But let me just make it easier for us right now... What you want is what I believe lots of us want ; just to be accepted or associated with based on the content of our characters. It would be nice if we all were the same color and acted the same way. I can't explain why we're different. Why my color is different than yours, why some of my thoughts and feelings differ from yours. The only thing I can think of to say about that is that we all have a purpose here. *NO evil blacks aren't supposed to be evil.* Let me be positive on how to solve some of the black community's problems.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 11:47:41 PM »
...but Erica much emphasis is placed on MLK in school curriculum's.  Too much emphasis in my opinion.  My child came home to tell me how wonderful MLK was and that he fought for all people to get along.  I thought he was fighting for the equal rights of BLACK people.  I explained that to her.  I think Obama will also be put up on the same pedestal if he becomes President.  I can think of other historical figures that should get the same emphasis as MLK...like some of our founding fathers.  Believe me they don't.

Daniel - you know what I meant.  I thank Eliezer Ben Avraham for answering your post so much better then I ever could.
He wanted equality for blacks! 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 12:03:02 AM by bullcat3 »

Just Erica

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 12:03:17 AM »

true, yet no person fights for equality of all, just equality of "himself" or "his people", as in he wont be subjugated below someone else
If that's the case, who are we to be equal to? You can't be equal with only yourself. Other people have to be involved. MLK wasn't selfishly walking all of those miles with *whites and blacks together* to be equal with himself. Do you think racist whites back then thought of blacks as equal to them?

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 12:56:22 AM »
This thread has gotten way off topic.

We can agree to disagree on the motives of MLK.

Erica - Why will you be voting for Obama.  I don't see him as qualified to be President of the US.

I do hope you get your voter registration before the November election.  :)  I love to exercise my right to vote!
Although it doesn't count for much here in NY.

Just Erica

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 01:07:25 AM »

Erica - Why will you be voting for Obama.  I don't see him as qualified to be President of the US.

I do hope you get your voter registration before the November election.  :)  I love to exercise my right to vote!

I will be voting for Obama because he's pro choice. I like my Presidents non-invasive when it comes to womens' rights. He's against the way the NCLB Act is being run now and sees how much really needs to be done to revamp the entire program. He's for stem cell research and gay adoption also. I am hoping upon hope that he can come up with a decent way to get America out of the red when it comes to this huge deficit we're suffering from, though.  O0 Thanks, Dubbyah! O0
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 01:36:21 AM by Just Erica »

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 01:10:20 AM »

I will be voting for Obama because he's pro choice. I like my Presidents non-invasive when it comes to womens' rights.

You're voting for Obama because he's half black.  Regarding the second statement...

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 01:21:23 AM »
Obama would waste no time commenting on doing away with "the White Power structure" in society! :-X  Like Malcolm X's spawn!
Obamanation has no chance.

I predict:  McCain/Giuliani and Clinton/Edwards.

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 01:28:40 AM »
Obama would waste no time commenting on doing away with "the White Power structure" in society! :-X  Like Malcolm X's spawn!
Obamanation has no chance.

I predict:  McCain/Giuliani and Clinton/Edwards.

McCain/Guiliani truly opens the door for Ron Paul.

What?

Just Erica

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 01:28:54 AM »

I will be voting for Obama because he's pro choice. I like my Presidents non-invasive when it comes to womens' rights.

You're voting for Obama because he's half black.  Regarding the second statement...
What? Now you have to admit that your statement didn't sound right. lol What has his being biracial got to do with my views? Is it too much to ask for a President not to decide what's best for women?

Offline Johnson Brown

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 07:45:55 PM »
If you are black you have to vote for Obama, it doesn't matter if he has no experience, he's black and that's it.
If the democraps put a monkey up for election the blacks would vote for him, blacks vote for skin color not if the candidate is qualified or not.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 07:57:05 PM »
If you are black you have to vote for Obama, it doesn't matter if he has no experience, he's black and that's it.
If the democraps put a monkey up for election the blacks would vote for him, blacks vote for skin color not if the candidate is qualified or not.

I suspect that there is much truth in what you say - JB.
What if Obama was a Republican?  Would he be so popular with the black people?  ^-^  I suspect not.