Author Topic: The Fallacy of Helplessness, Dreams, and Prophesy.  (Read 5009 times)

admin

The Fallacy of Helplessness, Dreams, and Prophesy.
« on: December 10, 2006, 11:50:16 PM »
I wrote this for Interpersonal Communications Class in March, 2005. I included a dream I had about the expulsion from Gaza. This is Kislev, the month of dreams. I was born in Kislev as well. My name is Yacov and Yacov in The Bible had a prophetic dream at Bet El in a Torah portion we read closest to my birthday of 10 Kislev. In other Torah portions we read during Kislev, we read about Joseph and dreams. I have had dreams in the past of going to war to fight The "Palestinians" after they had totally destroyed Israel. Another one I had was Pre-Oslo War when I knew there would be a war as any sane person would. I knew there would be one when Oslo expired. How could a "peace agreement" just expire? That sows us how corrupt it was. Yet still, no one has taken any action to revert to The Pre-Oslo Days. In that dream, I think I was taking part in a pre-emptive attack. In another dream I once had about 10 years ago, someone from my synagogue and I took off on an Israeli Air Force plane from JFK Airport and totally cleared Judea and Samaria of all the Arab Muslim Nazis there.  Another dream I had was when Hitler and Arafat took over Jerusalem and I called Hitler a Holocaust denier because he was alive in the dream and in real life he is dead. That is the kind of dream the sick self-hating demented Israeli leadership caused me to have as a teenager. Even in dreams, I could tell what would happen. There is no prophesy today but the way G-d can communicate people is through our dreams. I'm not sure if this is Ruach HaKodesh which tzadikim have.

Here is the original college paper.

“The fallacy of helplessness suggests that satisfaction life is determined by forces beyond your control.” This is an example of irrational thinking and debilitative emotions. In real life, I feel helpless when I hear of plans of the Prime Minister of Israel to destroy parts of my country (Israel) and give over the land to Arab terrorists. Sitting from about 6,000 miles away, I read with horror on the Internet about how Prime Minister Ariel Sharon plans to uproot thriving Jewish communities and expel the residents and threaten to jail them if they refuse.

I can monitor these emotions by telling that I have bad dreams while I’m sleeping. For example, I had a dream about all of Israel being destroyed and even Tel Aviv was completely obliterated. The activating event for these bad dreams is my constant worries that my brethren in Gaza might be expelled from their homes. The example of my self-talk is my constant posts on the Internet about Israel.

I can overcome these feelings of helplessness by making a difference and acting rather than just worrying. For example, when I visit Israel in the Summer, I can attend protests. This way I won’t feel hopeless. I could also write to Israeli Knesset members to vote to bring down Ariel Sharon’s government by voting against the 2005 state budget. This is more of the rational way to approach pre-occupation of worrying about the decrees of the Israeli Government.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 11:56:15 PM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »

wonderfulgoy

Re: The Fallacy of Helplessness, Dreams, and Prophesy.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 03:43:09 AM »
One of the things I did in the first year after finishing university was read some of the classic literature on dreams.  Reading Freud's 'Interpretation of Dreams' in particular was life-changing for me.  I read just one book by Jung, all I care to, and he seemed to envision dreams as recollections of 'collective' or racial memories, i.e. events which had happened in the past or were part of the folk lore of one's culture, surviving in the unconscious memory.  He also stated that dreams were essentially foretellings of future events, or at least what the dreamer thought or intended for in the future.

My own opinion is that dreams are a counterbalance to one's consciousness: the more uninhibited the dream, the more inhibited the person, etc. 

Some dreams may be sent by G-d to, as it were, initiate a person into knowledge (or foreknowledge) of things that their conscious state would not be permitted to think through clearly.