Author Topic: Recommend me a dog that can do more than bark.  (Read 2797 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Recommend me a dog that can do more than bark.
« on: February 13, 2008, 09:04:20 PM »
I want to get a dog, preferably one that is a good guard dog, doesn't require a crap load of attention (heck i'll pay attention to it, just don't want something super hyper), doesn't shed, etc.

I was looking into rottweilers or German shepherds. I'm not a fan of pittbulls, personally think their ugly and unreliable. All I have are 2 cockatiels at this point and they crap on everything.

I don't want one of those tinker toys that yelps and pisses all over either.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Re: Recommend me a dog that can do more than bark.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 09:10:50 PM »
Ask Skippy.  She's an animal expert.  Also do a Google and Wikipedia search on different dog breeds, their temperments, etc. O0

Offline KansasJew

• Senior JTFer
  • JTF Logo I made
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 09:13:32 PM »
PErsonally you have to ask what you want the animal to do...German Shepards are good but have a unique medical condition that is common a nerve disease on the back legs and lower spin. I believe.

I would get it trained as a personal protection animal.
Remember there has to be strong silent men on the walls at night to protect the people. Be Strong but not aggressive. Be Peaceful but not weak. Defend the Jewish People at all cost.

kellymaureen

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 09:18:43 PM »
I have a german shepherd, he is great!  He gets plenty of attention but is ok home alone also, he is great with kids, very gentle, but if someone were to threaten Adam or me, or even another child in the neighborhood he could and would rip that person to shreds.  I had a friend who was fooling around and raised his hand near me and I thought the dog was going to take his arm off....and this person was just playing with the dog minutes earlier with no problems.
We did have him professionally trained however.

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 09:24:04 PM »
Try a robot, if you are not prepared to put work into an animal I strongly suggest you DON'T get one.

But if you must, get a older dog, not a puppy, many breeders have older dogs for sell.

Look for the guarding breeds, Rottweilers, German shepherds, Akita, Mastiffs, Doberman, Malamute , Great Dane or Hungarian Vizsla.

Also Greyhounds are great guard dogs and very lazy low maintance.

I warn you all dogs can be aggressive if trained.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 09:29:34 PM »
I'm willing to spend time with the dog, just cannot commit my whole days to it, I would definitely be able to take care of it while at home though.

I don't want to leave the dog sitting outside though all day like some neighbors do.

My uncle had an Akita, seemed really aggressive, maybe just bad experience though.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 09:33:38 PM »
Akitas are Japanese fighting dogs, they have been breed solely to fight for thousands of years, they must be in the arms of experienced people.

Dogs are like guns, they must be put into the right hands or all chaos will result.

Dogs are pack animals and must respect their pack leader. If you leave the dog for 8 hours or so without problems, but you must provide a good environment for th dog. Give plenty of bones and the dog will be happy.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 10:01:36 PM »
Akitas are Japanese fighting dogs, they have been breed solely to fight for thousands of years, they must be in the arms of experienced people.

Dogs are like guns, they must be put into the right hands or all chaos will result.

Dogs are pack animals and must respect their pack leader. If you leave the dog for 8 hours or so without problems, but you must provide a good environment for th dog. Give plenty of bones and the dog will be happy.

True but unlike a gun, a dog can attack you on it's own lol, also gotta worry about it shitting, feeding it, and taking it for walks, though I take my gun for walks, and feed it a healthy supply of ammo.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 10:17:14 PM »

True but unlike a gun, a dog can attack you on it's own lol, also gotta worry about it shitting, feeding it, and taking it for walks, though I take my gun for walks, and feed it a healthy supply of ammo.

Have you though of a gun dog, a Gordon Setter, Blood hound, Coon hound?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 10:18:32 PM »
I was going to add when I first used a Glock it bit me, damn did it hurt  >:(