Author Topic: The Ask Lubab "Show"  (Read 98110 times)

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: The Ask Lubab "Show"
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2008, 04:29:31 PM »
Whatt?  I thought their is no Kiddushin (Marriage process by the nations). Lubab doesn't a non-Jewish couple become "married" once they have relations, or when they live together? By adultry is it when the lady had relations with a man and then went with another man?

The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2008, 05:11:39 PM »
Whatt?  I thought their is no Kiddushin (Marriage process by the nations). Lubab doesn't a non-Jewish couple become "married" once they have relations, or when they live together? By adultry is it when the lady had relations with a man and then went with another man?

There is no formal marriage process that's necessary by goyim (Noahides), but there is marriage or else there could be no Noahide law against adultery. Marriage can be effected by the two Noahides having relations with the intent for those relations to effect the marriage.

If there is no such intent, there is no marriage through that act.

I'm not clear on what your second question is. Are we talking about Jews now? Please clarify that second question and I'll try to help.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2008, 05:16:19 PM »
Noahides (non-Jews) are allowed to have marital relations without marriage.
It may even be preferable to just move in with a girlfriend and specifically state that you are NOT married to avoid the very strict consequences of adultery (the death penalty).

But if someone has intimacy with his girlfriend, in case she happened to secretly involve in casual intimacy with another man, wouldn't they also commit the crime of adultery?

See my response to Tzvi above. I think that answers this question too.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2008, 05:19:30 PM »
Lubab I was wondering what your response would be to my question to Chaim  :)

Dear Chaim

OdKahaneChai and I have had a little chat about women ridding motorbikes, I am a biker.

Now is it allowed for a woman to take a male passenger, or the woman to be a passenger on the mans bike?

By the way, main passenger on my bike is my dog.

My first question would be: "who are we talking about here?". Are we talking about Jews? Jews have very strict laws on who they can touch and when. You'd need to look into that. Or are we talking about Noahides? Noahide rules are not that strict at all on these things.

However I could still imagine situations where it would not be appropriate even for a Noahide to do such a thing (e.g. taking another's spouse on your bike...could lead to problems).

Be sure to wear a helmet! We must be careful with the life G-d gave us.

P.S. I have nothing against bikers per se. One of the Chabad Rabbis in San Francisco is famous for riding a motorcycle around town with his big hasidic beard and he has brought many Jews to an observant life of Judaism by attracting their attention in that way :).

So in such a case I would say "rock on!"

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 05:23:20 PM by lubab »

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2008, 10:45:27 PM »

Dear Chaim

OdKahaneChai and I have had a little chat about women ridding motorbikes, I am a biker.

Now is it allowed for a woman to take a male passenger, or the woman to be a passenger on the mans bike?

My first question would be: "who are we talking about here?". Are we talking about Jews? Jews have very strict laws on who they can touch and when. You'd need to look into that. Or are we talking about Noahides? Noahide rules are not that strict at all on these things.

However I could still imagine situations where it would not be appropriate even for a Noahide to do such a thing (e.g. taking another's spouse on your bike...could lead to problems).

P.S. I have nothing against bikers per se. One of the Chabad Rabbis in San Francisco is famous for riding a motorcycle around town with his big hasidic beard and he has brought many Jews to an observant life of Judaism by attracting their attention in that way :).

Well, to my knowledge, Skippy is Jewish, so we're talking about Jews here.

So the original question was, with no passenger, or at least no Male one - is she allowed to wear these "leathers," which definitely show form, while riding the motorcycle, since they are specifically designed for said purpose?

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2008, 11:12:54 PM »

Dear Chaim

So the original question was, with no passenger, or at least no Male one - is she allowed to wear these "leathers," which definitely show form, while riding the motorcycle, since they are specifically designed for said purpose?

Ah! That's a tznius question. You need to know the tznius laws. Can't show the form of the leg above the knee. No good!

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2008, 11:35:21 PM »

Dear Chaim

Ah! That's a tznius question. You need to know the tznius laws. Can't show the form of the leg above the knee. No good!
I know the Tznius laws (basically).  But I read something (I believe the Sefer is called Hilchos Bas Yisroel) that said a woman is allowed to wear pants for exercising, so long as there are no men around - so I wondered if the same applied here.  Or do we (Chabad) pasken differently as far as exercising, as well?

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2008, 11:39:33 PM »

Dear Chaim

I know the Tznius laws (basically).  But I read something (I believe the Sefer is called Hilchos Bas Yisroel) that said a woman is allowed to wear pants for exercising, so long as there are no men around - so I wondered if the same applied here.  Or do we (Chabad) pasken differently as far as exercising, as well?
Yeah we do hold of that but
I thought we were talking about a woman on a motorcycle. She's on a motorcycle in a private area with no men?
If iit's in public then we have the tznius problem.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2008, 11:46:23 PM »

Dear Chaim

I thought we were talking about a woman on a motorcycle. She's on a motorcycle in a private area with no men?
But how can anyone, other than a passenger, really see her anyway?

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2008, 11:48:14 PM »

Dear Chaim

What do you mean? Every person on the street will see one leg on one side of the bike and one on the other and can fully see the shape of the leg above the knee if she is wearing tight pants.

I don't think this is brain surgery.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2008, 11:52:24 PM »

Dear Chaim

What do you mean? Every person on the street will see one leg on one side of the bike and one on the other and can fully see the shape of the leg above the knee if she is wearing tight pants.

If she's driving at 5 miles an hour, maybe.  But I would think that if she's going at a decent speed, the form of the leg would be hard to see.

But on the other hand, I suppose everyone else is going that speed also.  (I'm not arguing with you, I just wanted to know why we pasken this way)

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2008, 11:58:38 PM »

Dear Chaim

If she's driving at 5 miles an hour, maybe.  But I would think that if she's going at a decent speed, the form of the leg would be hard to see.

But on the other hand, I suppose everyone else is going that speed also.  (I'm not arguing with you, I just wanted to know why we pasken this way)

What if she hits a red light? :::D

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2008, 11:59:18 PM »

Honestly wearing the correct leathers you are pretty well form less, like a stuffed banana.

Wearing jeans yes, but not leathers.

My are all black , so what form is there?

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2008, 12:00:02 AM »
Seriously,

If the dress is not tznius, you don't go in public with it. Period. Fast speed. Slow speed. It makes no difference. People could see it. It's a problem.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2008, 12:00:19 AM »

Dear Chaim

What red lights? Are you meant to stop  :::D

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2008, 12:00:46 AM »

Honestly wearing the correct leathers you are pretty well form less, like a stuffed banana.

Yeah. That picture would not be something tznius for a Jewish woman to wear in public.

I'm not judging you Skippy, I'm just stating the law here because someone asked.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2008, 12:02:52 AM »

Yeah. That picture would not be something tznius for a Jewish woman to wear.

Well ok then, I will just die in sin. But they are safety reasons for the leathers and being hit by a bug on a bike really hurts, if you don't wear them.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2008, 12:05:02 AM »

Dear Chaim

That's what I was thinking... ;D

I guess she'll have to either keep a skirt in the glove compartment, or get a few tickets...  ;)

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2008, 12:32:30 AM »
glove compartment? its a bike, it don't have one, I am damned  :::D

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2008, 02:34:34 PM »
Just get a car, problem solved.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2008, 03:33:03 PM »
I've seen motorcycles with one...

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2008, 08:44:37 PM »
I've seen motorcycles with one...

Not on mine it doesn't but mine is a classic

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2008, 04:14:43 AM »
1.  Let me preface this by saying this is not a shot at Chaim, this is something I have wondered for many years though.  Chaim says G-d will bless those that give financially to JTF. Do you agree with this and do you feel it is proper to use this line when asking for money?

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2008, 11:59:21 AM »
1.  Let me preface this by saying this is not a shot at Chaim, this is something I have wondered for many years though.  Chaim says G-d will bless those that give financially to JTF. Do you agree with this and do you feel it is proper to use this line when asking for money?

Thanks for your question Baltimore and welcome to the Ask Lubab "Show",

My response:
Yes. And Yes.

G-d promises big blessings for anyone who gives tzedaka clearly in the Torah. Not the least of these blessings is the double repayment of what you gave. I think people should be made aware of this if it will encourage more people to participate in this great mitzvah.

Now is it good PR to use that line? That's another question that I'm sure you can answer better than I Baltimore so I leave that one to you.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:02:28 PM by lubab »

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2008, 02:23:31 PM »
Great answer!  Thanks so much.  On the marketing side of things we live in a society in the USA with so much religious corruption. In LA, Baltimore, NYC... where ever, there are inner city churches on the verge of bankruptcy that have little old ladies giving every extra penny they have to the church while the pastor drives around in a fancy car and lives in a rich suburban enclave.  So when outsiders read a line about giving money to a good cause and G-d will bless you they become suspicious because it appears that the majority of people who use that line in the USA are incredibly corrupt.  Here at JTF we are trying to attract new people and that probably is not the best line for new people, but if the old people properly understand it like you explained then they will be more likely to give money that can be used to attract new people in different ways.

Now 2 more questions.
1. Do you come from a religious family?
2. If you encountered a 30 year old Jewish male who wanted to become more religious but he had some problems, what problem would you tell him to eliminate first in order to become more religious? Here are his problems:
a. Unmarried
b. Has had relations with non-jewish women and continues to do so
c. Does not Keep Kosher
d. Does not Keep the sabbath
e. Does not goto an Orthodox Shul, only goes to Shul on: High Holidays, to avoid the fast of the first born before Passover, and on Shavuot
f. Does not Study Torah

Keep in mind some of these problems are easier to eliminate than others. It is also noteworthy to mention that he has already eliminated Pig and Crab from his diet, he has always fasted on yom kippor, he fasts on Tisha B'av, he gives to Jewish charity on occasion, a Lubavitch rabbi gave him a mezuzah that he properly put on his front door entance.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 02:26:50 PM by Baltimore »