General Category > Ask Posters Show Threads

The Ask Lubab "Show"

<< < (34/41) > >>

shimon:
rabbi what do you think about evolution. I know the rebbe was against it, but today there seems to be so much evidence to prove that evolution is true.

Can you please tell me if in any way some ideas of evolutionn are infact compatible with the torah

Lubab:

--- Quote from: shimon on May 29, 2008, 11:15:57 PM ---rabbi what do you think about evolution. I know the rebbe was against it, but today there seems to be so much evidence to prove that evolution is true.

Can you please tell me if in any way some ideas of evolutionn are infact compatible with the torah

--- End quote ---

Is there really so much evidence?
The "evidence" involves major extrapolation, the same sort of assumptions that led people to believe the world is flat e.g. if it's flat from here to the next mile, it must be flat the next mile too etc.

I'm not sure what aspect of evolution you're talking about but if it's men from apes, the sceintists got it backwards. Apes devolved from man. G-d turned Kain into an ape when he killed Abel.

Tzvi Ben Roshel1:
Hi Lubab- long time no c.

I was just wondering about something, already a long time, but maybe you can answer it.
I think I read somewhere online, and I think it was a writing from the late Lubavitcher Rebbe. If I am correct, he wrote that we shouldn't pray for Jews to make Tishuva because if for example one says please G-d let person X make Tishuva by keeping Shabbat or keeeping Kashrut, etc. etc. you invoke Dinim (Judgements) agains't the person.
  Is this true, or did I read wrong into it? Also what should we do besides spreading Torah to Am Yisrael, in helping people including ourselves make a full, proper Tishuva no matter what level we are in. Also should we pray for people or not? Sometimes when I pray (personal prayer) I say for example "Please Hashem , may you have mercy on your people, may Jews return to you in truth, and may every Jew be shown the truth, but not through Judgements, but through your (extra) Kindness.  And may the whole World proclaim your Oneness,that you are G-d, and that your Torah is Emet (truth), and your nation (of Israel) is Emet."  Is this okay?

Lubab:

--- Quote from: Tzvi Ben Roshel on June 16, 2008, 03:53:00 PM ---Hi Lubab- long time no c.

I was just wondering about something, already a long time, but maybe you can answer it.
I think I read somewhere online, and I think it was a writing from the late Lubavitcher Rebbe. If I am correct, he wrote that we shouldn't pray for Jews to make Tishuva because if for example one says please G-d let person X make Tishuva by keeping Shabbat or keeeping Kashrut, etc. etc. you invoke Dinim (Judgements) agains't the person.
  Is this true, or did I read wrong into it? Also what should we do besides spreading Torah to Am Yisrael, in helping people including ourselves make a full, proper Tishuva no matter what level we are in. Also should we pray for people or not? Sometimes when I pray (personal prayer) I say for example "Please Hashem , may you have mercy on your people, may Jews return to you in truth, and may every Jew be shown the truth, but not through Judgements, but through your (extra) Kindness.  And may the whole World proclaim your Oneness,that you are G-d, and that your Torah is Emet (truth), and your nation (of Israel) is Emet."  Is this okay?

--- End quote ---

Good to hear from you Tzvi,

I am nearly certain the Rebbe has not said such a thing as there is a clear Talmudic directive to pray for the return of the wicked. (can try to get the source upon request...story involving R' Akiva and some bandits I believe). Further, in our davening the word "VeSachnia" in the Amida is a prayer for some evil people to repent and in Aleinu we clearly pray  "Lehafnot Aleicha KOL Rishei Aretz" (may ALL the the evil people turn to G-d). The Rebbe has spoken about these passages on several occasions.

The personal prayer you write there sounds very similar to one we say on Yom Kippur with a touch of the Aleinu prayer. It may be good, but I try to stick to the exact language Chazal have laid out for my prayers in general plus tehillim of course as their exact formulations are tied to deeper meanings that we don't always know about. There is a time for personal prayers but in those situations we speak from the heart, and don't try to come up with our own set formulations. I personally think what you came up with there is great, but who am I to say that should be an established prayer?

P.S. You might have been thinking of the statement of the Baal Shem Tov who says Lashon Hara is bad for "3 people": the speaker, the listener and the one spoken about. The question is raised, why is the one who was spoken about being punished? What did he do wrong? He answers that now that one has brought that sinners sins to light by speaking about it to others, G-d must now judge him for those sins to prevent a Chillul Hashem whereas He could have been more lenient had the sin remained a private matter.

To do a proper teshuva one must figure out what he's been doing wrong, confess and make a firm commitment not to do it in the future. It's a specific process and one shouldn't take on everything at once. Everyone needs to pick one thing that they know they should be doing better and start making small changes each day to correct that trait and soon it will become second nature for them to do the right thing. Issues involving treating our fellow man are of paramount importance as it was Sinat Chinam which caused this Galut.

Dan:

--- Quote from: Lubab on March 03, 2008, 10:49:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: Danstx19 on March 03, 2008, 09:17:03 PM ---Congratulations Lubab,
   Your Ask Lubab segment seems to be  a hit with our members...  O0
  Q: What do you recommend for a Long and Happy Life?

--- End quote ---

Thanks Dan!
What a great question.

So much to say. There are so many things that go into a happy and long life and each person has their own challenges they need to work on to achieve that. The Torah of course hold that key to a long and happy life. But look how many books it takes to explain what the Torah is trying to tell us to do?

When we boil it all down to its essentials we come to the following conclusion:
"What is hateful to you, don't do onto others". That's really the key to a happy and long life.

Sounds so simple and yet almost nobody gets it right.

--- End quote ---
Thanks Lubab...
     I've heard this before but never could fully understand it's meaning, because life move at you so fast you can't stop and think about others when your in pursuit. Nowadays, instant gratification is what people stive for and the multi-tasking world kind of keeps everyone in a tunnel vision mode.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version