Author Topic: The Ask Lubab "Show"  (Read 96891 times)

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
Re: Ask Lubab
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2008, 12:56:49 PM »
Lubab,

I know that in Judaism a human corpse must be treated with reverence and dignity, but does this apply to rodefim?

I mean in a war, if a bunch of muSSlim-nazis attack a Jewish village and get killed in the process, do Jews have to schvitz in the hot sun burying each one properly or can they be bulldozed into a quicklime ditch as quickly as possible?

As I understand it, even an evil gentile's body must be buried and treated with respect as even they are created "in the image of G-d".

We treat the body with a certain level of respect even when a person has been killed by the Beit Din for this reason.

Now if you would be endangering more life by doing this burial, or in a time of war where we are defending ourselves I would assume you definitely would not be allowed to do that. But that is because the mitzvah of saving a life overrides that of the burial, but not because the burial is not warranted.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

newman

« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2008, 01:04:42 PM »
Lubab,

I know that in Judaism a human corpse must be treated with reverence and dignity, but does this apply to rodefim?

I mean in a war, if a bunch of muSSlim-nazis attack a Jewish village and get killed in the process, do Jews have to schvitz in the hot sun burying each one properly or can they be bulldozed into a quicklime ditch as quickly as possible?

As I understand it, even an evil gentile's body must be buried and treated with respect as even they are created "in the image of G-d".

We treat the body with a certain level of respect even when a person has been killed by the Beit Din for this reason.

Now if you would be endangering more life by doing this burial, or in a time of war where we are defending ourselves I would assume you definitely would not be allowed to do that. But that is because the mitzvah of saving a life overrides that of the burial, but not because the burial is not warranted.

They cremated Eichman (Y'S) and through his ashes in the Med' so his remains wouldn't befoul Israel.

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2008, 01:56:42 PM »
Lulab, why did Chazal decided to write the Yerushalmy Talmud and the Bavli Talmud (Babylonian Talmud) in Arabic ?
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2008, 02:00:43 PM »
Lulab, why did Chazal decided to write the Yerushalmy Talmud and the Bavli Talmud (Babylonian Talmud) in Arabic ?

It's not Arabic. It's Aramaic. That was the language the Jews spoke in those days and the Talmud is recording their discussions.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2008, 02:38:02 PM »

It's not Arabic. It's Aramaic. That was the language the Jews spoke in those days and the Talmud is recording their discussions.

I meant Aramic.

Why didn't they encoureged talking in Hebrew as other sects of Judaism as the Karatie Jews did (in the 10th century) ?
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2008, 03:19:09 PM »

I meant Aramic.

Why didn't they encoureged talking in Hebrew as other sects of Judaism as the Karatie Jews did (in the 10th century) ?

Hebrew is a holy language. So many Jews did not want it to become a secular langauge so they were careful to use other languages for regular speech and learning, while Hebrew was used only for prayer and reading from the Torah etc.

This, many felt preserved Hebrew as a sacred tounge, not only to be used lightly.

Kaarite are heretics as we have already explained on many occasions.  :)

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2008, 05:35:55 PM »
Lubab, how old are you and where are you from?

26. Originally from Southern California.   :)

What?! you mean I'm older than you!?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2008, 05:54:18 PM »
I guess so. Don't worry though, I have lots of older people coming to me for advice.  ;)

Did you know that one of the Chabad Rebbe's wrote one of his famous works of mysticism (Derech Mitzvosecha) when he was 15?

The Rebbe's always said: "age doesn't go by the passport".

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2008, 09:21:42 PM »
I guess so. Don't worry though, I have lots of older people coming to me for advice.  ;)

Did you know that one of the Chabad Rebbe's wrote one of his famous works of mysticism (Derech Mitzvosecha) when he was 15?

Well age does mean one thing:  more life experience and a longer brain.

Are you a rabbi?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2008, 09:29:35 PM »

Are you a rabbi?

Asked and answered. See previous questions.

We can't have repeats on the Ask Lubab show. I can't do that to my fans. :D

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2008, 10:26:42 PM »
Great insights, Lubab.  P.S. Mills, I'm happy you're on our team. O0

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
Re: The Ask Lubab "Show"
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2008, 12:57:24 AM »
http://jtf.org/forum_english/index.php?topic=16651.15

Could you please check this discussion with Skippy and give your opinion. Are we really evil as she thinks? She holds that we are promoting sin, since we wouldn't exclude or rebuke citizens of our State in case they had relations without marrying, or comitted private sins. I hold that even real countries don't have such Laws now.
To your knowledge, Let-be-land is a virtual country created to protest against Argentinian policy towards Israel. There are people of different religions and ideas.

Please give your opinion as you wish, privately or publically. No Vow to follow your opinion. (Anyway it's not up to me. We are several persons)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 03:39:19 AM by Raulmarrio2000 »

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2008, 04:46:47 PM »
http://jtf.org/forum_english/index.php?topic=16651.15

Could you please check this discussion with Skippy and give your opinion. Are we really evil as she thinks? She holds that we are promoting sin, since we wouldn't exclude or rebuke citizens of our State in case they had relations without marrying, or comitted private sins. I hold that even real countries don't have such Laws now.
To your knowledge, Let-be-land is a virtual country created to protest against Argentinian policy towards Israel. There are people of different religions and ideas.

Please give your opinion as you wish, privately or publically. No Vow to follow your opinion. (Anyway it's not up to me. We are several persons)

Thanks for your question Raul,

I have said this before, and it may be controversial, but I don't care.

Noahides (non-Jews) are allowed to have marital relations without marriage.
It may even be preferable to just move in with a girlfriend and specifically state that you are NOT married to avoid the very strict consequences of adultery (the death penalty).

We learn this from the story of Yehuda in the Bible who had the law of a Noahide and had relations without marriage. Moshiach actually was born (many generations later) from that union.

So Raul I think you are right here on not punishing that behavior.

As a side note, I don't think that the government should be regulating marriage at all. They can give civil benefits to couples in a civil manner, but should not get involved in who is married, and requiring marriage licenses etc. Ideally this should be handled by the ecclesiastical authorities as was done all over the world until our very recent history.

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2008, 05:29:36 PM »
In fact there are many real sins for which we have no provision, since we don't aim to be a realigious, but just political/cultural org. shaped as a State. And there is an article in our Constitution, saying that private actions are free. But I think, that since we are not really independent. And Argentinian judges act here, it's up to them. I claim that in the same way a club is not a guardian of morality, neither are we. However we do punish some evil deeds (with expelling). Perhaps she thinks that punishing some, and not others, means encouraging what we don't punish.  For eaxample there's no provision for the eventuality of adultery or idolatry, but there is a strong punishment for the eventuality of abortion (even advocating for it), blasphemy or anti-Semitism. Is that wrong?

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2008, 05:45:49 PM »
I would recommend that you revolve your legal system around the Noahide code (7 Noahide laws).

This is the best system for gentiles.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2008, 05:47:35 PM »
Being probably the only observant Noahide involved it is your job, Raul, to apply as much pressure as possible to try to revolve the system around the Noahide laws.

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2008, 06:09:47 PM »
The problem is that non-religious would claim that they are discriminated. Catholics would probably have problems with their cult. And any other Christian would problaby object that if the Torah is enacted, why not their Gospel.
The laws that are in force were easily accepted since they ressemble Argentinian Laws, UN Humans Rights Declaration, and some others regarding Ecology are quite accepted here.
Anyway, do you think that in fact, a simple virtual country, with no other possible punishment than exclusion, is guilty for not enacting Hallacha?
Does it mean that it render me a non-Noahide?

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2008, 07:22:58 PM »
No. You are a Noahide by birth. Nobody can take that away from you.

I am not saying you are guilty in any way for not doing this. I'm just saying this would be the ideal thing for any successful society.

You should explain to the Catholics and others that this is not discrimination at all.

The Noahide code is simply a broad guideline for morality that predates any particular religion that exists today.

We are not saying you need to be Jewish or Catholic or anything.

We are just saying these are the rules that lead to a properly functioning society.

They can all be whatever religion they want to be as long as they don't violate any of those six commandments.

Most religions agree with those laws anyway. You might have more luck trying to phrase it as something that is just a secular doctrine that gives us a starting point on building our society that has been proven throughout history to work well.

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2008, 07:46:55 PM »
All legal texts would be rewritten when 36 or more of us qualify to form a valid assembly. In that case, it is even mandatory to reform them if 2 thirds of them decide so. Who knows who would be handling it at that time....Perhaps Noahides would be a majority, perhaps Jews, perhaps all countries recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, and enact our basic principles, and there is no reason for us to be a State...

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2008, 11:07:45 PM »
Lubab I was wondering what your response would be to my question to Chaim  :)

Dear Chaim

OdKahaneChai and I have had a little chat about women ridding motorbikes, I am a biker.

Now is it allowed for a woman to take a male passenger, or the woman to be a passenger on the mans bike?

By the way, main passenger on my bike is my dog.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2008, 11:17:36 PM »
Dear Lubab,

For about the past three days, I've had the niggun to "Vayhi Bimei Achashverosh" stuck in my head, and I can't get it out.  What should I do?

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

newman

« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2008, 01:33:09 AM »

I have said this before, and it may be controversial, but I don't care.

It may even be preferable to just move in with a girlfriend and specifically state that you are NOT married to avoid the very strict consequences of adultery (the death penalty).

We learn this from the story of Yehuda in the Bible who had the law of a Noahide and had relations without marriage. Moshiach actually was born (many generations later) from that union.

So Raul I think you are right here on not punishing that behavior.

As a side note, I don't think that the government should be regulating marriage at all. They can give civil benefits to couples in a civil manner, but should not get involved in who is married, and requiring marriage licenses etc. Ideally this should be handled by the ecclesiastical authorities as was done all over the world until our very recent history.

Well said, Lubab.

I get sick and tired of gentiles inventing mitzvot (which is a crime, BTW).

Marriage is certainly a good idea just as going to college or getting regular exercise is, but they are NOT commandments.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2008, 11:42:52 AM »
Dear Lubab,

For about the past three days, I've had the niggun to "Vayhi Bimei Achashverosh" stuck in my head, and I can't get it out.  What should I do?

What's the problem? It's Adar!  :)

It should be gone in a month and a half.  ;)

P.S. If you want a serious answer...let me know. But I don't know if this is a serious question.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2008, 03:52:08 PM »
Dear Lubab,

What's the problem? It's Adar!  :)

It should be gone in a month and a half.  ;)

P.S. If you want a serious answer...let me know. But I don't know if this is a serious question.
No, it was not a serious question. 

But it honestly is stuck in my head... ;)

For those who want to know what I'm talking about:

http://www.chabad.org/multimedia/media_cdo/aid/1518/jewish/Vayehi-Bimei-Achashveirosh.htm
http://www.chabad.org/multimedia/livingtorah_cdo/aid/263358/jewish/Vayehi-Bimei.htm

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2008, 04:18:03 PM »

But if someone has intimacy with his girlfriend, in case she happened to secretly involve in casual intimacy with another man, wouldn't they also commit the crime of adultery?