Poll

What do you think about an American Jew who doesn't want a friend to serve in the IDF for fear that he will be hurt/injured and tries to convince them not to serve?

They are completely selfish!
3 (27.3%)
They are selfish and evil.
3 (27.3%)
A person has the right to fear for a friend's safety and oppose him serving based on those grounds.
2 (18.2%)
No Jews should serve in the IDF at all because the IDF expels Jews from Gaza, Judea, and Samaria
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Are American Jews who don't want their friends to serve in the IDF selfish, evil  (Read 4486 times)

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
I know a girl who is completely against her friend serving in the IDF and tried adamantly to convince him not to serve.  He recently made aliyah and was promoted as the paratrooper B"H.  Is it evil to oppose friends becoming soldiers who will see action and will potentially do some concrete action to save some Jews.  There are many Israeli soldiers who have taken out terrorists who would have killed Jews in one way or another. Recently, the brave security guard in Dimona shot the second suicide bomber, probably preventing many deaths.  Hezbollah has been making war chants recently after the assassination of one of their top terrorists.  In light of this, is it evil or selfish to oppose a friend who wants to or is serving in the IDF?
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
I chose the last option.  On moral grounds alone, I wouldn't serve in the IDF anyway besides maybe something like Nachal Charedi (which I plan to do).

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
There is nothing evil about caring about your friend's or family's safety especially when it comes down to volunteering or being drafted to an army.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
There is nothing evil about caring about your friend's or family's safety especially when it comes down to volunteering or being drafted to an army.

Of course people should care for the safety of their friends and family, it would be horrible not to care at all, but what I'm talking about is someone who is completely against a friend serving in the military based on that.  Just imagine if most Israeli parents and friends of soldiers were completely against them serving.  It would influence people to avoid serving and to lower their morale if they decide to serve. 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
for the reason mentioned, yes that is selfish.
If it's because the IDF evicts Jews from their homes, that's legitimate
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
Not always, maybe she's worried he will get hurt or something.
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
ultimately it is up to the individual who wants to join and not those concerned for him/her
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
Anyone who lives in a country where security needs compromise human lives (like the case of Israel, if Israel were defeated, Chas veShalom, Israelis would be murdered) has a moral duty to serve in the army. Nobody has the right to stay safe at home while others risk their lives to keep his life safe.
So anyone who discourages a friend from serving in the army is a very bad counsellor, not really a friend.
But if someone refuses to serve lest he is forced to act against his own brethren, as it happened in Gush Katif, then he is justified. But I think that even in such a case, one should serve, and refuse orders when told to act aganst his brethren, even if it means prison.
(Please note that I am speakung specifically about Israel, or some other country which is in real danger. It has no sense to serve in the army of a country which just makes war on a basis of "national pride", like the Argentinian dictarorship which invaded the Falklands)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
It's selfish for a Jew in Israel not to serve in the IDF, however it is not selfish to refuse orders on evicting Jews from their homes.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
NO.

Another, better question would be if it is selfish and evil if someone is stoped, or influenced not to go learn Torah in Eretz Yisrael (or anywhere, taking time off other things and learning Torah). And the answer would be yes.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
I chose the last option.  On moral grounds alone, I wouldn't serve in the IDF anyway besides maybe something like Nachal Charedi (which I plan to do).

But what if Israel found herself in a situation like the Yom Kippur War again? You wouldn't pick up a gun and fight until the last Muslim/Nazi arab is driven out? I consider it an honour to serve in the IDF.
"We are in 1938, and Iran is Germany"

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
It's selfish for a Jew in Israel not to serve in the IDF, however it is not selfish to refuse orders on evicting Jews from their homes.

I concur with Cohen 200%

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member

Of course people should care for the safety of their friends and family, it would be horrible not to care at all, but what I'm talking about is someone who is completely against a friend serving in the military based on that.  Just imagine if most Israeli parents and friends of soldiers were completely against them serving.  It would influence people to avoid serving and to lower their morale if they decide to serve. 

In Israel, it's required to serve. I know some people with kids who left Israel and came here to avoid danger to their children and moral decay to their children. When i hear this, I shrug and wonder if I would have done the same thing if I had kids.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer

In Israel, it's required to serve. I know some people with kids who left Israel and came here to avoid danger to their children and moral decay to their children. When i hear this, I shrug and wonder if I would have done the same thing if I had kids.

Hmmm.....interesting . My sister actually went back to Israel - just to serve in the IDF. She was only born there and hasn't lived there for more than 4 years of her life in total. I admire her because she left the commodities that we had (nice car, house, social life) to help protect our beautiful land.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer

But what if Israel found herself in a situation like the Yom Kippur War again? You wouldn't pick up a gun and fight until the last Muslim/Nazi arab is driven out? I consider it an honour to serve in the IDF.
Of course.  But until then...

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Anyone who lives in a country where security needs compromise human lives (like the case of Israel, if Israel were defeated, Chas veShalom, Israelis would be murdered) has a moral duty to serve in the army. Nobody has the right to stay safe at home while others risk their lives to keep his life safe.
So anyone who discourages a friend from serving in the army is a very bad counsellor, not really a friend.
But if someone refuses to serve lest he is forced to act against his own brethren, as it happened in Gush Katif, then he is justified. But I think that even in such a case, one should serve, and refuse orders when told to act aganst his brethren, even if it means prison.
(Please note that I am speakung specifically about Israel, or some other country which is in real danger. It has no sense to serve in the army of a country which just makes war on a basis of "national pride", like the Argentinian dictarorship which invaded the Falklands)

It's one thing if it is required by law (in Israel) to serve the army.

It's another thing when it comes down to volunteering.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer

It's one thing if it is required by law (in Israel) to serve the army.

It's another thing when it comes down to volunteering.

Who cares if it is Israeli law or not? Dina Malkut Dina doesn't apply to Israeli law.

Also merkava I would say its a very bad move on the part of your sister, everything else aside, she is a female and she doesn't belong in the army.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
I dont agree Tsvi - I think every Jew world wide should help the IDF in whatever way they can. Who else will protect us from the animlals that threaten our survival? The USA? Think again.

I admire all the Israeli soldiers and I always keep them in my prayers. Nothing breaks my heart more than a fallen IDF brother. And there is no bigger act of cowardness that dodging the IDF's draft. 

My sister is a role model to everyone. And if I ever get the opportunity I'll join the IDF or Sar-El.