Author Topic: Why do you need Kosher salt?  (Read 27480 times)

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
Re: Why do you need Kosher salt?
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 11:08:59 PM »
I am not a Jew, and I don't claim to be Righteous either, but I feel such a strong aversion and repulsion to pork, that if I suspect I may have toched it, I run for soap and water to wash my hands. Unfortunately, one never knows if some chemical additives of food may come from pork......
I wonder if Jews could make Kashrut open, and kosher food widely available to Gentiles, so it is sold in every food stores.
Perhaps it's forbidden.....????? After all, one of the benefits of Kashrut for Judaism is keeping Jews and Gentiles separated and avoid they eat together, lest it increases the possibility of assimilation....

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 11:14:55 PM »
I am not a Jew, and I don't claim to be Righteous either, but I feel such a strong aversion and repulsion to pork, that if I suspect I may have toched it, I run for soap and water to wash my hands. Unfortunately, one never knows if some chemical additives of food may come from pork......
I wonder if Jews could make Kashrut open, and kosher food widely available to Gentiles, so it is sold in every food stores.
Perhaps it's forbidden.....????? After all, one of the benefits of Kashrut for Judaism is keeping Jews and Gentiles separated and avoid they eat together, lest it increases the possibility of assimilation....

I always felt that kashrut was a way to keep the circle of life going.  Those animals which we aren't suposed to eat are meant for other animals to eat.

Foods like Pork, which can be eaten by gentiles...you're possibly right...one reason might be to prevent assimilation.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 11:19:36 PM »
Yes, I believe it refers to how coarse the grains are as was mentioned earlier.  Even if pork were kosher, I'm not eating it. O0

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 11:31:16 PM »
Why do you need Kosher salt?
What's the difference between Kosher salt (NaCl) and non Kosher salt (NaCl)?

All salt is Kosher the reason why it is called "Kosher Salt" is because even after the the Animal had been slautered it is not kosher until the Blood is removed entirelly and Salt removes the blood

I don't understand how you can remove all the animal's blood.
I don't think it's possible to remove all of the animal's blood perfectly.
So, some blood is still there.
Ever heard of kosher pork or kosher ham?
Many years ago I heard of a Jewish couple in Brooklyn, NY having a wedding
and on the menu besides the cake is sushi and kosher ham.
The rabbi said that they drained all of the pig's blood, so now its kosher.

Must of been reform. Pig is not kosher now.
  And your right not all of the blood is removed, but the majority is, and the one that remains is allowed. 1 thing though, using kosher salt 72 hours after the animal has been slaughtered is not good and wont remove that blood. Right after (within 72 hours, unless they freeze it- might give them more, they (the slaughteres) themselves have to remove the blood. And thats why authentic Glatt Kosher places will do that, and one of the reason why "regular" kosher is in fact not really kosher (as meat is concerned).

On a different note, what makes cheese kosher and unkosher?
Rennet, which is used to harden cheese, is often taken from non-kosher animals...

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 09:26:49 PM »

Yea but even Kosher food, a Jew should not really partake with a gentile, because of the reason of assimilation. Thats why during Purim even though the food and wine was 100% kosher the Jews were allmost annihilated (their was a decree made agains't them), because they participated the Ahashverosh's party, etc.
 The reason is not hatred, but the reason is that the first step is them sitting and having a meal together, and then because of the bond that people have when eating together one might eventually say "you know I have my daugher for your son, or vice versa and their could be intermarriage, G-d forbid.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008, 09:32:41 PM »

Yea but even Kosher food, a Jew should not really partake with a gentile, because of the reason of assimilation. Thats why during Purim even though the food and wine was 100% kosher the Jews were allmost annihilated (their was a decree made agains't them), because they participated the Ahashverosh's party, etc.
Well, you also have to remember what the reason for Achashverosh's party was.  But you are correct, and the law of Pas Yisroel came from this.  (Also some poskim hold that commercial products today aren't applicable)

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 09:39:11 PM »

All salt is Kosher the reason why it is called "Kosher Salt" is because even after the the Animal had been slautered it is not kosher until the Blood is removed entirelly and Salt removes the blood

And your right not all of the blood is removed, but the majority is, and the one that remains is allowed. 1 thing though, using kosher salt 72 hours after the animal has been slaughtered is not good and wont remove that blood. Right after (within 72 hours, unless they freeze it- might give them more, they (the slaughteres) themselves have to remove the blood. And thats why authentic Glatt Kosher places will do that, and one of the reason why "regular" kosher is in fact not really kosher (as meat is concerned).

Rennet, which is used to harden cheese, is often taken from non-kosher animals...

What if rennet comes from a kosher animal? It's still a mixture of meat and cheese.
No, not really.  It's an enzyme.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2008, 09:41:38 PM »

What if rennet comes from a kosher animal? It's still a mixture of meat and cheese.

True, and I even heard this from a professor of mine when I asked him (after class) whats the difference between conservative and Orthodox Judasim (I know, but just wanted to see what he will say). He was talking and then he said that for example in Kashrut they allow chemicals (or whatever that is) that is made from meat to as an add on to cheese and they allow it as kosher.
  After that I understood even more that we should watch out for the proper Kosher symbols even in cheese and things we might think is not that bad (like candy), and not rely on on our opinion and on so-called kosher standards which are not legit. Only buy from the legit Orthodox hechscherim.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2008, 10:15:40 PM »

True, and I even heard this from a professor of mine when I asked him (after class) whats the difference between conservative and Orthodox Judasim (I know, but just wanted to see what he will say). He was talking and then he said that for example in Kashrut they allow chemicals (or whatever that is) that is made from meat to as an add on to cheese and they allow it as kosher.
  After that I understood even more that we should watch out for the proper Kosher symbols even in cheese and things we might think is not that bad (like candy), and not rely on on our opinion and on so-called kosher standards which are not legit. Only buy from the legit Orthodox hechscherim.

It's not good to be so shallow..when you dive into shallow water, you can potentially break your neck...Just a heads up.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2008, 10:33:58 PM »

It's not good to be so shallow..when you dive into shallow water, you can potentially break your neck...Just a heads up.

What are you talking about?

Offline Daniel Ben Hanania

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2008, 10:36:49 PM »

I have no clue, but we always buy kosher salt .... because it has K on the box  ;D
NEVER AGAIN !!!

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2008, 10:45:03 PM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

It's not good to be alone in the world, Tzvi...watch your mouth!  First it's the reform, then it's the conservative, then Orthodox A is not jewish enough..and then Orthodox B isn't jewish enough and so it goes...You don't preach proper Torah when you speak like that...

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2008, 10:46:02 PM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

It's not good to be alone in the world, Tzvi...watch your mouth!  First it's the reform, then it's the conservative, then Orthodox A is not jewish enough..and then Orthodox B isn't jewish enough and so it goes...You don't preach proper Torah when you speak like that...
Can you blame him for not wanting to eat Treif?

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2008, 10:50:09 PM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

Treif?! How about stop breathing air because it is recycled from the byproduct of pigs who breath this air...you've got to be kidding me!

"Legit orthodox?!"  I find that to be offensive and i'm not even orthodox!  Putting one's nose in the air to a fellow Jew or group of Jewish people?  This is why the reform movement does insane things to rebel..this is why the conservative movemetn does things to rebel..because of people like Tzvi!

Offline Daniel Ben Hanania

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2008, 10:50:20 PM »
the Na-Cl has somethign special in the middle of it.

:::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D :::D
 O0
NEVER AGAIN !!!

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2008, 10:53:22 PM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

Treif?! How about stop breathing air because it is recycled from the byproduct of pigs who breath this air...you've got to be kidding me!

"Legit orthodox?!"  I find that to be offensive and i'm not even orthodox!  Putting one's nose in the air to a fellow Jew or group of Jewish people?  This is why the reform movement does insane things to rebel..this is why the conservative movemetn does things to rebel..because of people like Tzvi!
Ok, so then tell me, Dr. Dan, whose hecshers should we accept?

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2008, 10:54:47 PM »
Dr. Dan you are right, you need some time off. I dont know what you are talking about, but I said one should follow the legit Orthodox hecsherim, and not reform or conservative, soo what? - and I wasn't even saying go to Orthodox A or Orthodox B, + you cant blame me or people who think like me, or use them as an excuse not to eat kosher or do other things, becuase at the end of the day its just an excuse.

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2008, 11:01:29 PM »
Dr. Dan you are right, you need some time off. I dont know what you are talking about, but I said one should follow the legit Orthodox hecsherim, and not reform or conservative, soo what? - and I wasn't even saying go to Orthodox A or Orthodox B, + you cant blame me or people who think like me, or use them as an excuse not to eat kosher or do other things, becuase at the end of the day its just an excuse.

Tzvi, you can come and push all the Torahanytime.com you want(and I have no problem with that) but you have to realize that if you drive one jew away from judaism, all the torahanytime.com in the world won't make up for that sin. Can't you be respectful to Dr. Dan at all? Don't you recognize him as a person? Would you talk to a dog in such a way? You weren't even attacking me here but I feel so bad that you can talk in such an arrogant way to another jew. He wasn't telling you to eat treif, he was just saying that you should be careful the way you word things. I don't want any arguments to break out over this, just please be careful they way you address other people. I certainly don't see any reason for you to say that Dr. Dan needs "time off." He seems very reasonable to me.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2008, 11:03:30 PM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

Ok, so then tell me, Dr. Dan, whose hecshers should we accept?

An enzyme is an enzyme...they both look alike sometimes. At the point of an enzyme you can't recognize whether it came from meat or dairy..please spare me because once you create this fence then it screws people like me over andthen I'm not Jewish enough to any of you andthen we form our own silly movements in rebellion...Think about it.

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2008, 11:04:51 PM »

And you Tzvi, you need to show some respect to your elders...you have damaged my view of Judaism more than you can imagine...done the exact opposite to what Chaim had been doing for the last 15 months! I can't believe you were made honorable winged member...you dont' deserve it...

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2008, 11:09:16 PM »

And you Tzvi, you need to show some respect to your elders...you have damaged my view of Judaism more than you can imagine...done the exact opposite to what Chaim had been doing for the last 15 months! I can't believe you were made honorable winged member...you dont' deserve it...

Tzvi, if you drive a wonderful person like Dr. Dan away from Judaism, you can put Cholov Yisrael in your mouth your whole life and rip your hair out of your head on yom kippur but it will not be enough to make up for the sin. You have done the same thing to my judaism. You don't know how terrible this is.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2008, 11:10:43 PM »

Calm yourself, I dont want to fight with you, but why should I refrain from saying what needs to be said? How have I damaged your view on Judaism, by saying reform is not legit  ??? . If saying refrom is not legit, is damaging Judasim, then I wonder what Judasim they are talking about? (I hope it is damaging reform Judasim yes.) I have a question to you. If a Rabbi states a Halacha and says Halacha A, and it will turn you off because you dont agree with it does that mean that the Rabbi should refrain from teaching it?
 Like a Rabbi said- (I belive my Rabbi quoting the Lubavitch) age doesn't go by the # in the passport.

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2008, 11:15:09 PM »

Calm yourself, I dont want to fight with you, but why should I refrain from saying what needs to be said? How have I damaged your view on Judaism, by saying reform is not legit  ??? . If saying refrom is not legit, is damaging Judasim, then I wonder what Judasim they are talking about? (I hope it is damaging reform Judasim yes.) I have a question to you. If a Rabbi states a Halacha and says Halacha A, and it will turn you off because you dont agree with it does that mean that the Rabbi should refrain from teaching it?
 Like a Rabbi said- (I belive my Rabbi quoting the Lubavitch) age doesn't go by the # in the passport.

Can you explain what you meant by that tzvi? What do you mean age doesn't go by the # in the passport? Who are you insulting now?

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2008, 11:15:36 PM »

Calm yourself, I dont want to fight with you, but why should I refrain from saying what needs to be said? How have I damaged your view on Judaism, by saying reform is not legit  ??? . If saying refrom is not legit, is damaging Judasim, then I wonder what Judasim they are talking about? (I hope it is damaging reform Judasim yes.) I have a question to you. If a Rabbi states a Halacha and says Halacha A, and it will turn you off because you dont agree with it does that mean that the Rabbi should refrain from teaching it?

Frist, i'm not talking about Reform being legit..or even conservative...I'm talking about you viewing some orthodox to be illegitimate.
You can build any fence you want...but just because that fence works for you and mine just happens to be little closer to the Torah than yours when it comes down to kashrut or shabbat or anything else doesn't make it illegitimate.  It's the disdain which you show whenever you speak that you're way is the right way and everyone else is wrong..and because they are wrong, they are all going to go to Hell or might deserve the death penalty and are Karet if they do it wrong.

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2008, 11:16:27 PM »

Calm yourself, I dont want to fight with you, but why should I refrain from saying what needs to be said? How have I damaged your view on Judaism, by saying reform is not legit  ??? . If saying refrom is not legit, is damaging Judasim, then I wonder what Judasim they are talking about? (I hope it is damaging reform Judasim yes.) I have a question to you. If a Rabbi states a Halacha and says Halacha A, and it will turn you off because you dont agree with it does that mean that the Rabbi should refrain from teaching it?

Can you explain what you meant by that tzvi? What do you mean age doesn't go by the # in the passport? Who are you insulting now?

Respect yoru elders because they are generation closer to Sinai than you are....