Author Topic: Why do you need Kosher salt?  (Read 27897 times)

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Why do you need Kosher salt?
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2008, 11:19:18 PM »
Well Dr. Dan, before someone respects a person, they have to first recognize that person as a human being. That may be the fundamental problem here with certain people refusing to see others as human. I hope for everyones sake, their tone changes and they start talking in a respectful tone to others.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 11:24:47 PM by DownwithIslam »
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2008, 11:36:10 PM »
Why do you need Kosher salt?
What's the difference between Kosher salt (NaCl) and non Kosher salt (NaCl)?

All salt is Kosher the reason why it is called "Kosher Salt" is because even after the the Animal had been slautered it is not kosher until the Blood is removed entirelly and Salt removes the blood

I don't understand how you can remove all the animal's blood.
I don't think it's possible to remove all of the animal's blood perfectly.
So, some blood is still there.
Ever heard of kosher pork or kosher ham?
Many years ago I heard of a Jewish couple in Brooklyn, NY having a wedding
and on the menu besides the cake is sushi and kosher ham.
The rabbi said that they drained all of the pig's blood, so now its kosher.

Must of been reform. Pig is not kosher now.
  And your right not all of the blood is removed, but the majority is, and the one that remains is allowed. 1 thing though, using kosher salt 72 hours after the animal has been slaughtered is not good and wont remove that blood. Right after (within 72 hours, unless they freeze it- might give them more, they (the slaughteres) themselves have to remove the blood. And thats why authentic Glatt Kosher places will do that, and one of the reason why "regular" kosher is in fact not really kosher (as meat is concerned).

On a different note, what makes cheese kosher and unkosher?
Rennet, which is used to harden cheese, is often taken from non-kosher animals...

What if rennet comes from a kosher animal? It's still a mixture of meat and cheese.

True, and I even heard this from a professor of mine when I asked him (after class) whats the difference between conservative and Orthodox Judasim (I know, but just wanted to see what he will say). He was talking and then he said that for example in Kashrut they allow chemicals (or whatever that is) that is made from meat to as an add on to cheese and they allow it as kosher.
  After that I understood even more that we should watch out for the proper Kosher symbols even in cheese and things we might think is not that bad (like candy), and not rely on on our opinion and on so-called kosher standards which are not legit. Only buy from the legit Orthodox hechscherim.

It's not good to be so shallow..when you dive into shallow water, you can potentially break your neck...Just a heads up.

What are you talking about?

"Legit orthodox"?!

It's not good to be alone in the world, Tzvi...watch your mouth!  First it's the reform, then it's the conservative, then Orthodox A is not jewish enough..and then Orthodox B isn't jewish enough and so it goes...You don't preach proper Torah when you speak like that...
Can you blame him for not wanting to eat Treif?

Treif?! How about stop breathing air because it is recycled from the byproduct of pigs who breath this air...you've got to be kidding me!

"Legit orthodox?!"  I find that to be offensive and i'm not even orthodox!  Putting one's nose in the air to a fellow Jew or group of Jewish people?  This is why the reform movement does insane things to rebel..this is why the conservative movemetn does things to rebel..because of people like Tzvi!
Ok, so then tell me, Dr. Dan, whose hecshers should we accept?

An enzyme is an enzyme...they both look alike sometimes. At the point of an enzyme you can't recognize whether it came from meat or dairy..please spare me because once you create this fence then it screws people like me over andthen I'm not Jewish enough to any of you andthen we form our own silly movements in rebellion...Think about it.
You're not answering the question...

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2008, 11:43:14 PM »

All salt is Kosher the reason why it is called "Kosher Salt" is because even after the the Animal had been slautered it is not kosher until the Blood is removed entirelly and Salt removes the blood

And your right not all of the blood is removed, but the majority is, and the one that remains is allowed. 1 thing though, using kosher salt 72 hours after the animal has been slaughtered is not good and wont remove that blood. Right after (within 72 hours, unless they freeze it- might give them more, they (the slaughteres) themselves have to remove the blood. And thats why authentic Glatt Kosher places will do that, and one of the reason why "regular" kosher is in fact not really kosher (as meat is concerned).

Rennet, which is used to harden cheese, is often taken from non-kosher animals...

What if rennet comes from a kosher animal? It's still a mixture of meat and cheese.

True, and I even heard this from a professor of mine when I asked him (after class) whats the difference between conservative and Orthodox Judasim (I know, but just wanted to see what he will say). He was talking and then he said that for example in Kashrut they allow chemicals (or whatever that is) that is made from meat to as an add on to cheese and they allow it as kosher.
  After that I understood even more that we should watch out for the proper Kosher symbols even in cheese and things we might think is not that bad (like candy), and not rely on on our opinion and on so-called kosher standards which are not legit. Only buy from the legit Orthodox hechscherim.

It's not good to be so shallow..when you dive into shallow water, you can potentially break your neck...Just a heads up.

"Legit orthodox"?!

It's not good to be alone in the world, Tzvi...watch your mouth!  First it's the reform, then it's the conservative, then Orthodox A is not jewish enough..and then Orthodox B isn't jewish enough and so it goes...You don't preach proper Torah when you speak like that...

Treif?! How about stop breathing air because it is recycled from the byproduct of pigs who breath this air...you've got to be kidding me!

"Legit orthodox?!"  I find that to be offensive and i'm not even orthodox!  Putting one's nose in the air to a fellow Jew or group of Jewish people?  This is why the reform movement does insane things to rebel..this is why the conservative movemetn does things to rebel..because of people like Tzvi!

An enzyme is an enzyme...they both look alike sometimes. At the point of an enzyme you can't recognize whether it came from meat or dairy..please spare me because once you create this fence then it screws people like me over andthen I'm not Jewish enough to any of you andthen we form our own silly movements in rebellion...Think about it.

OdKahaneChai, I will answer. We should use well respected hechshers. We don't need to speak in terms of "orthodox this and that" that is what upsets people.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2008, 11:44:16 PM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

OdKahaneChai, I will answer. We should use well respected hechshers.
What does that mean?  Which hechshers are well respected?

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2008, 11:44:32 PM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

you are asking teh wrong Jew which hechshers for you to follow...and you should know better that I don't have a clue on that..so please, spare yourself from embarrassing me in front of everyone here on this forum.

You can build all the fences you want for yourself...but don't impose your fence on me or any other Jew who disagrees with it.

In my opinion, some of you make a big deal about enzymes which can barely be seen with an electron microscope...To me, that's going too far and too strict and possibly not in spirit of Torah Judaism.  certainly will not become karet or go to Hell, Gd forbid, if the enzyme whcih is unrecognizable to the human eye, and just happens to come from a cow kosher or unkosher and one from a dairy product.

Yes, if i had a table spoon of milk on my plate and decided to put a nice chunk of kosher steak on top of it, I would agree that doing that isn't safe...but that's my personal choice of considering it unsafe.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2008, 11:47:57 PM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

you are asking teh wrong Jew which hechshers for you to follow...and you should know better that I don't have a clue on that..so please, spare yourself from embarrassing me in front of everyone here on this forum.

You can build all the fences you want for yourself...but don't impose your fence on me or any other Jew who disagrees with it.

In my opinion, some of you make a big deal about enzymes which can barely be seen with an electron microscope...To me, that's going too far and too strict and possibly not in spirit of Torah Judaism.  certainly will not become karet or go to Hell, Gd forbid, if the enzyme whcih is unrecognizable to the human eye, and just happens to come from a cow kosher or unkosher and one from a dairy product.

Yes, if i had a table spoon of milk on my plate and decided to put a nice chunk of kosher steak on top of it, I would agree that doing that isn't safe...but that's my personal choice of considering it unsafe.

Exactly, it's not like you were telling people on here not to eat kosher or something. You were merely trying to get people to speak respectfully. If someone is not eating kosher, screaming at him certainly will not make him start. Everyone can eat what they want, nobody should speak in a derogatory tone towards good people.

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2008, 11:52:34 PM »
so teh subject is moved here so that i have to click on a bunch of folders to get to it?  Or since we dont' want any other administrator to notice what's going on?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2008, 04:46:34 PM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

In my opinion, some of you make a big deal about enzymes which can barely be seen with an electron microscope...To me, that's going too far and too strict and possibly not in spirit of Torah Judaism.  certainly will not become karet or go to Hell, Gd forbid, if the enzyme whcih is unrecognizable to the human eye, and just happens to come from a cow kosher or unkosher and one from a dairy product.

But that's where Judaism disagrees.  It's my obligation to try in every possible way to prevent you from doing so.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2008, 05:22:28 PM »
 ;D  I just realized (by going back and rereading the posts) that I wasn't even replying to Dan origionally, and all of a sudden he gets offended. Honestly, suck it up, not everything is directed to you. If you go back and read and see that you were telling me not to be shallow or whatever, (which is deragotary by the way), if you have a problem with my opinion (and also Jewish statements on what is allowed and what isn't, according to the original Orthodox Judasim, then dont read it.)  If every Rabbi would listin to this way of thinking (like many of the reform do) then their would be no Torah learning, because it might "turn someone off". No Rabbi would be allowed to say any Halacha that people might have a hard time excepting and then their would be no Judaism G-d forbid. Rabbi Kahane ZTL HYD would not have been able to say we need to expel the arabs from the land of Israel because it defintily did turn some people off and they did get distanced from what they believe to be Judasim.
 This conversation is over.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2008, 10:44:47 PM »
;D  I just realized (by going back and rereading the posts) that I wasn't even replying to Dan origionally, and all of a sudden he gets offended. Honestly, suck it up, not everything is directed to you. If you go back and read and see that you were telling me not to be shallow or whatever, (which is deragotary by the way), if you have a problem with my opinion (and also Jewish statements on what is allowed and what isn't, according to the original Orthodox Judasim, then dont read it.)  If every Rabbi would listin to this way of thinking (like many of the reform do) then their would be no Torah learning, because it might "turn someone off". No Rabbi would be allowed to say any Halacha that people might have a hard time excepting and then their would be no Judaism G-d forbid. Rabbi Kahane ZTL HYD would not have been able to say we need to expel the arabs from the land of Israel because it defintily did turn some people off and they did get distanced from what they believe to be Judasim.
 This conversation is over.

I know that you weren't directing it towards me.  But when you said it, it came off to be very smug.

I am all for learning torah and halakha..but yo uavhe to be ready for someone who will disagree and have a discussion about it.  in the past when i tried to discuss certain things with you, you dismissed any argument i made because it was my own and not from a rebbe...it's an unfair retort...If i present an arguement, you can use rabbis to dispute my answers but use yoru words also to dispute it.

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2008, 10:59:40 PM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

But that's where Judaism disagrees.  It's my obligation to try in every possible way to prevent you from doing so.

I completely understand that fences need to be built and sanctified.  I will not argue with that concept.  However, some fences very religious and observant Jews make are way too far away from the Torah.

I'll give an example of a fence that has nothign to do wtih Torah...Chocolate. A delicious sweet fattening dessert and snack!

If one is on a diet he should not eat chocolate.  So that not eating chocolate is the commandment.  To build a fence around this commandent: "Thou shalt not eat chocolate", one will make a rule not to look at it; antoher will say, not to go in the same room where the chocolate is...and one will make a fence not to go into the same building as the chocollate..and onthe rwill make a fence even further way not to be in the same friggin town as the chocolate!

so pray tell, going back to the enzymes...electron microscope level is a big deal to you? YOu shoudl makeit a big deal to all Jews? I dont' think so...but for yourself, do what keeps you from beign tempted from eating chocolate...

got it?

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2008, 11:12:54 PM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

I completely understand that fences need to be built and sanctified.  I will not argue with that concept.  However, some fences very religious and observant Jews make are way too far away from the Torah.

I'll give an example of a fence that has nothign to do wtih Torah...Chocolate. A delicious sweet fattening dessert and snack!

If one is on a diet he should not eat chocolate.  So that not eating chocolate is the commandment.  To build a fence around this commandent: "Thou shalt not eat chocolate", one will make a rule not to look at it; antoher will say, not to go in the same room where the chocolate is...and one will make a fence not to go into the same building as the chocollate..and onthe rwill make a fence even further way not to be in the same friggin town as the chocolate!

so pray tell, going back to the enzymes...electron microscope level is a big deal to you? YOu shoudl makeit a big deal to all Jews? I dont' think so...but for yourself, do what keeps you from beign tempted from eating chocolate...

got it?
Dr. Dan, that made no sense.  Who says a Jew needs to be on a diet?

You toss the word "fence" around a lot.  And you usually use them to mean any a Halacha that is D'Rabbonon.  And you are getting these confused with something that is just a stringency.  Por ejemplo:

Muktzah: Rabbinic Prohibition.  LAW.

Not Carrying on Shabbos, inside an Eruv: stringency. Not Law.

See the difference?...

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2008, 11:17:23 PM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

got it?

You toss the word "fence" around a lot.  And you usually use them to mean any a Halacha that is D'Rabbonon.  And you are getting these confused with something that is just a stringency.  Por ejemplo:

See the difference?...

1. My example of chocolates has nothign to do with actual jewish law.  It is a perception of what some religious Jews do with Torah law when a fence i built around it.

2. I don't understand the second part. Please explain the difference.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2008, 11:22:29 PM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

got it?

See the difference?...

1. My example of chocolates has nothign to do with actual jewish law.  It is a perception of what some religious Jews do with Torah law when a fence i built around it.

One is a Law, from the Rabbis, which must be observed, and the other is a stringency, that doesn't have to be observed.  Understand?

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2008, 11:25:39 PM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

got it?

See the difference?...

One is a Law, from the Rabbis, which must be observed, and the other is a stringency, that doesn't have to be observed.  Understand?

I understand the stringency.

But not all Rabbis agreed or have the same interpretation of a certain law.

Are enzymes a stringency or a law?

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2008, 11:29:40 PM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

got it?

See the difference?...

"From the Rabbis," usually means from the Amoraim, Tannaim, or before.  I think you misunderstood me there.

That rennet is treif is a law.  It is normally taken from non-kosher animals...

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2008, 11:38:16 PM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

got it?

See the difference?...

"From the Rabbis," usually means from the Amoraim, Tannaim, or before.  I think you misunderstood me there.

What is rennet exactly?

I heard somewhere, in regards to gelatin, that sometimes it comes from pig bone or pig cartilage and processed to a point that it is unrecognizable to be any different if it were from a kosher animal. I think ther eis a disagreement between orthodox rabbis with each other on whether it can be eaten...and obviously with conservative rabbis and orthodox rabbis (but we will leave the non orthodox rabbis out of this arguement).

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2008, 11:43:41 PM »
"I think ther eis a disagreement between orthodox rabbis with each other on whether it can be eaten..."

If so then provide a source please. By the way many of the protein shakes and other things are made from stuff like this. And thats why their are some that have an O U sign saying it isn't made from that (but usually from WHEY.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2008, 12:00:09 AM »
"I think ther eis a disagreement between orthodox rabbis with each other on whether it can be eaten..."

If so then provide a source please. By the way many of the protein shakes and other things are made from stuff like this. And thats why their are some that have an O U sign saying it isn't made from that (but usually from WHEY.

I know some orthodox jews who will not eat at certain glatt kosher restaurants. (I dont' remember the reason, though).  so i have no source and you have to understand, I don't have access nor time to find soruces like you do who studies in yeshiva all day. So please be fair...show me that orthodox rabbis agree on everything with each other in regards to kashrut and I'll listen, even though i'm goign to keep askign questions. 

And don't dismiss my arguements if i dont' have sources...teach me.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2008, 12:02:59 AM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

got it?

See the difference?...

What is rennet exactly?
From my understanding, it's a digestive enzyme found in mammals, that is normally taken from either non-kosher animals, or at least calves or kids that were not slaughtered according to Halacha.  And even if it were, you would still have a problem because it (I believe) would be considered Fleishig.  I think most kosher cheeses use vegetable "rennet>"

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2008, 12:07:04 AM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

got it?

See the difference?...

What is rennet exactly?
From my understanding, it's a digestive enzyme found in mammals, that is normally taken from either non-kosher animals, or at least calves or kids that were not slaughtered according to Halacha.  And even if it were, you would still have a problem because it (I believe) would be considered Fleishig.  I think most kosher cheeses use vegetable "rennet>"

So rennet are digestive enzymes found in mammals.  How was it determined by rabbis that even rennet counted as enough substance to be deemed where it actually came from to make it law?
What is Fleishig?
I agree that it is safer to use rennet from vegetables than from mammals if rennet exists in vegetables.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2008, 02:58:15 PM »

I know some orthodox jews who will not eat at certain glatt kosher restaurants. (I dont' remember the reason, though).  so i have no source and you have to understand, I don't have access nor time to find soruces like you do who studies in yeshiva all day. So please be fair...show me that orthodox rabbis agree on everything with each other in regards to kashrut and I'll listen, even though i'm goign to keep askign questions. 

Yes, that is true. That shouldn't bother others though because they have good reasons. 1 reason is because even with their being a reliable person watching over ,etc one cant be exactly sure that every vegatable for example was checked for bugs. And since they are doing it all day anything can happen, they could forget, they could mess up, etc. Their are those that will say that they want to be strict upon themselves not to eat out, but eat vegetables for example that they or their wifes personally hand washed and checked.
 Their are also others that say- soo what if it says Glatt Kosher, do you know the guy? Is he really reliable? etc. For example their was a case where this guy was selling non-kosher meat and pretending it to be kosher for some time, until he got caught.
 Their are also those who never eat meat because of the above reason and more (because in America its all about making $, and its all made by mass production).
  And also about Glatt Kosher meat itself, some only eat meat that is Beit Yosef (according to the Shulhan Aruch), what is concidered only Glatt Kosher is technically not recognized in the Shulhan Aruch, but Askenazim allowed it. But even within Askenazim some only eat Beit Yosef, because of the concern that the other opinion might be wrong.
 BUT the very least Jews should do is eat Glatt Kosher, and it shouldn't bother us about those who want to be strict, infact they should be looked up to for their actions.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2008, 03:29:25 PM »

"Legit orthodox"?!

got it?

See the difference?...

What is rennet exactly?

How was it determined by rabbis that even rennet counted as enough substance to be deemed where it actually came from to make it law?

I don't understand what you mean there...

What is Fleishig?
Basari.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2008, 04:27:04 PM »
From my understanding, this "vegetable renit" is of this century only.  The only way they used to make cheese was from animal intestines.  The Rambam talks about using cat intestines to make cheese in Hilchot Shabbat.
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2008, 05:11:43 PM »

Yes, that is true. That shouldn't bother others though because they have good reasons. 1 reason is because even with their being a reliable person watching over ,etc one cant be exactly sure that every vegatable for example was checked for bugs. And since they are doing it all day anything can happen, they could forget, they could mess up, etc. Their are those that will say that they want to be strict upon themselves not to eat out, but eat vegetables for example that they or their wifes personally hand washed and checked.
 Their are also others that say- soo what if it says Glatt Kosher, do you know the guy? Is he really reliable? etc. For example their was a case where this guy was selling non-kosher meat and pretending it to be kosher for some time, until he got caught.
 Their are also those who never eat meat because of the above reason and more (because in America its all about making $, and its all made by mass production).
  And also about Glatt Kosher meat itself, some only eat meat that is Beit Yosef (according to the Shulhan Aruch), what is concidered only Glatt Kosher is technically not recognized in the Shulhan Aruch, but Askenazim allowed it. But even within Askenazim some only eat Beit Yosef, because of the concern that the other opinion might be wrong.
 BUT the very least Jews should do is eat Glatt Kosher, and it shouldn't bother us about those who want to be strict, infact they should be looked up to for their actions.

I understand and agree with the above reply, Tzvi.

I only disagree with the last part.  I don't think we should look up to those who wish to be stricter than the Rabbis.  On the other hand, we should respect their wishes if they want to do things that way.

I can only look up to those who follow halakha properly. But those who go over board with it and do more than what is required, I will not look down at, but will simply respect their wishes if it makes them feel better to be that way.