Author Topic: Why do you need Kosher salt?  (Read 27919 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Why do you need Kosher salt?
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2008, 05:13:57 PM »

From my understanding, it's a digestive enzyme found in mammals, that is normally taken from either non-kosher animals, or at least calves or kids that were not slaughtered according to Halacha.  And even if it were, you would still have a problem because it (I believe) would be considered Fleishig.  I think most kosher cheeses use vegetable "rennet>"
[/quote]

How was it determined by rabbis that even rennet counted as enough substance to be deemed where it actually came from to make it law?
[/quote]
I don't understand what you mean there...

What is Fleishig?
Basari.
[/quote]

Sorry, how did the rabbis determine that even digestive enzymes are recongizable enough to be considered equal enough to the actual meat itself?  Enzymes can barely be seen in a microscope.

Btw, what is Basari?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2008, 05:14:55 PM »
From my understanding, this "vegetable renit" is of this century only.  The only way they used to make cheese was from animal intestines.  The Rambam talks about using cat intestines to make cheese in Hilchot Shabbat.

Can you educate us about what the Rabbis said about the renets and what the proper halakha is?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2008, 06:25:37 PM »
"I only disagree with the last part.  I don't think we should look up to those who wish to be stricter than the Rabbis.  On the other hand, we should respect their wishes if they want to do things that way.

I can only look up to those who follow halakha properly. But those who go over board with it and do more than what is required, I will not look down at, but will simply respect their wishes if it makes them feel better to be that way."

In actuality in this case originally what is considered "the strick opinion" was the norm, and then (1 Askenazi opinion) the Halacha actually went down in the level (something that they allow the removal of that part thats covering the lungs), BUT if one would follow stricktly the Shulhan Aruch then it would not be allowed because Maran Rabbi Yosef Karo didn't allow it. Today from what I heard- that for us at the very least the standard should be Glatt Kosher, but in actuality the best is Beit Yosef only.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2008, 06:29:23 PM »
"I only disagree with the last part.  I don't think we should look up to those who wish to be stricter than the Rabbis.  On the other hand, we should respect their wishes if they want to do things that way.

I can only look up to those who follow halakha properly. But those who go over board with it and do more than what is required, I will not look down at, but will simply respect their wishes if it makes them feel better to be that way."

In actuality in this case originally what is considered "the strick opinion" was the norm, and then (1 Askenazi opinion) the Halacha actually went down in the level (something that they allow the removal of that part thats covering the lungs), BUT if one would follow stricktly the Shulhan Aruch then it would not be allowed because Maran Rabbi Yosef Karo didn't allow it. Today from what I heard- that for us at the very least the standard should be Glatt Kosher, but in actuality the best is Beit Yosef only.

What's the difference between beit yosef and glatt kosher?

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2008, 06:54:40 PM »

Here is a question and response that one of the Bukharian Rabbi's answers

Rabbi, I would like to know the difference between kosher and glatt kosher. can u explain it to me please?
thank you.

BS”D

BJEW4U – thanks for the important question!

Glatt in Yiddish means smooth. In other words, the lungs of the animal were smooth, without any adhesions that could potentially make the animal as Treif (not Kosher).

The lung of an animal can develop what is called - Sirchot (adhesions). A hole in the lung would render the animal Treif. Adhesions are problematic - either because they indicate the presence of a hole in the lung that has been insufficiently sealed (Rashi) or because they can become loosened, thereby causing a hole to develop (Tosafot).

According to the Sephardim (Bukharians included) who follow the Shulchan Aruch (Rabbi Yosef Karo) they are required to eat ONLY Glatt (Chalak, in Hebrew - Glatt/Chalak Beit Yosef). For our Ashkenazim brothers, they have a tradition that a small, easily removable adhesion is defined as a lower class of adhesion, known as Rir, and that the presence of up to two such small, easily removable adhesions still qualifies the animal as Glatt.

The Rema’s leniency would NOT apply to young, tender animals such as lamb, kid and calf (Ramah, Yoreh Deah 39:13). Therefore, all lamb chops, veal or other meat from young animals must be Glatt Beit Yosef - even for Ashkenazim.

The term Glatt would NOT apply to any kind of chicken, fish or dairy products.

Therefore, non-Glatt meat (or simply kosher meat) would NOT meet the above standards.

I am NOT one to say that they are entirely not Kosher – but it would BEST to stay away from just plain kosher meat – and purchase ONLY Glatt meat (Glatt Beit Yosef – or at least to the standards of Glatt for the Ashkenazim). Back in Bukhara land – the meat that was checked and eaten was to the standards of Glatt Beit Yosef.

Enjoy!
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2008, 07:29:45 PM »

Here is a question and response that one of the Bukharian Rabbi's answers

Rabbi, I would like to know the difference between kosher and glatt kosher. can u explain it to me please?
thank you.

BS”D

BJEW4U – thanks for the important question!

Glatt in Yiddish means smooth. In other words, the lungs of the animal were smooth, without any adhesions that could potentially make the animal as Treif (not Kosher).

The lung of an animal can develop what is called - Sirchot (adhesions). A hole in the lung would render the animal Treif. Adhesions are problematic - either because they indicate the presence of a hole in the lung that has been insufficiently sealed (Rashi) or because they can become loosened, thereby causing a hole to develop (Tosafot).

According to the Sefaradim (Bukharians included) who follow the Shulchan Aruch (Rabbi Yosef Karo) they are required to eat ONLY Glatt (Chalak, in Hebrew - Glatt/Chalak Beit Yosef). For our Ashkenazim brothers, they have a tradition that a small, easily removable adhesion is defined as a lower class of adhesion, known as Rir, and that the presence of up to two such small, easily removable adhesions still qualifies the animal as Glatt.

The Rema’s leniency would NOT apply to young, tender animals such as lamb, kid and calf (Ramah, Yoreh Deah 39:13). Therefore, all lamb chops, veal or other meat from young animals must be Glatt Beit Yosef - even for Ashkenazim.

The term Glatt would NOT apply to any kind of chicken, fish or dairy products.

Therefore, non-Glatt meat (or simply kosher meat) would NOT meet the above standards.

I am NOT one to say that they are entirely not Kosher – but it would BEST to stay away from just plain kosher meat – and purchase ONLY Glatt meat (Glatt Beit Yosef – or at least to the standards of Glatt for the Ashkenazim). Back in Bukhara land – the meat that was checked and eaten was to the standards of Glatt Beit Yosef.

Enjoy!

Ok, I'm going to reword this a little bit as I think what is being said.

Glatt for sefardim and ashkenazim is meant to refer to the lungs being smooth in a kosher mammal.  If it isn't smooth, it's treif. The animal might be kosher, but it's treif in teh sense that it isn't glatt kosher (ok my first question is what's wrong with adhesions in the lungs?)

If a couple Rir exist in an adult kosher mammal, it's ok for the ashkanazim, (but not sure about the sefardim also).

Chicken, fish, dairy do not apply to Glatt.

The answer doesn't explain what the difference between plain glatt and Glatt Ben Yousef is.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2008, 08:39:47 PM »

From my understanding, it's a digestive enzyme found in mammals, that is normally taken from either non-kosher animals, or at least calves or kids that were not slaughtered according to Halacha.  And even if it were, you would still have a problem because it (I believe) would be considered Fleishig.  I think most kosher cheeses use vegetable "rennet>"

How was it determined by rabbis that even rennet counted as enough substance to be deemed where it actually came from to make it law?
[/quote]
I don't understand what you mean there...

What is Fleishig?
Basari.
[/quote]

Sorry, how did the rabbis determine that even digestive enzymes are recongizable enough to be considered equal enough to the actual meat itself?  Enzymes can barely be seen in a microscope.

Btw, what is Basari?
[/quote]
Depends how many of them you have...

And basar or fleish is meat.

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2008, 09:52:53 PM »
I am not a Rabbi so don't count what I write as absolute.  The Rambam speaks about making cheese with cat's intestines in Hilchot Shabbat (correct me if I'm wrong but that's what the Chabbad Rabbi on chabbad.org stated in the audio lectures when he was translating the Rambam).  So we can derive from this that the Rambam considers such cheese Kosher and that's how they used to make cheese back in the day.  The enzymes are not considered meat and if a small amount of meet juice leaks in to the milk then it is not considered anything even if it is not Kosher meat since it is less than 1/60th of the contents for sure and it is considered Kosher.  At the very least, vegetable rennet didn't exist back in the day. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2008, 09:57:22 PM »
I am not a Rabbi so don't count what I write as absolute.  The Rambam speaks about making cheese with cat's intestines in Hilchot Shabbat (correct me if I'm wrong but that's what the Chabbad Rabbi on chabbad.org stated in the audio lectures when he was translating the Rambam).  So we can derive from this that the Rambam considers such cheese Kosher and that's how they used to make cheese back in the day.  The enzymes are not considered meat and if a small amount of meet juice leaks in to the milk then it is not considered anything even if it is not Kosher meat since it is less than 1/60th of the contents for sure and it is considered Kosher.  At the very least, vegetable rennet didn't exist back in the day. 
They may not have used any rennet at all...

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2008, 12:33:49 AM »
Cheese and gelatin are disgusting when you examine them. O0

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2008, 12:45:21 AM »
I could see why non-Kosher gelatin with the meat separated from the gelatin will be controversial if it is actually Kosher since you are eating a direct product of the non-Kosher meat.  Using non Kosher intestines to make cheese only uses the enzymes from the intestines and no direct product from the non Kosher meat is being consumed. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD