Author Topic: another very moving story from the holocaust...  (Read 3715 times)

Offline nikmatdam

• Pro JTFer
  • one of my earliest rebbeim/rav nachman bulman zt"l
another very moving story from the holocaust...
« on: February 21, 2008, 08:19:38 PM »
this one is entitled: "Hashem (G-d) does not forget..."

it was compiled by an oded mizrachi whose english was none too good... so i will have to rewrite it to make its syntax more readable... it appears this week in a jewish throw-away mag... "southern california community links...

this is a rabbi shlomo carlebach story about marriage and the holocaust...

"Hashem does not forget..." by oded mizrachi... reprinted from sheva newspaper in israel...

"a true and touching story that happened to rabbi shlomo carlebach. zt"l
("the singing rabbi")...

reb shlomo carlebach used to travel far and wide to sing for jews and gentiles alike as he was a world-famous jewish artist and a legendary, mystical chassidic teacher... on one of his many flights, reb shlomo was pleasantly surprised to see a stewardess davening (praying) from a siddur (a jewish prayer book)... he waited until she finished davening and then he asked her, 'i see that you are praying from a siddur, are you jewish?' the stewardess replied, 'my parents are non-jews but ever since i can remember, i was attracted to judaism. when i grew older i learned judaism from an orthodox rabbi and recently, i converted according to the jewish laws of the torah. as you see, i now lead an observant life and keep all of the commandments.'

one of the passengers signalled for her attention and so the stewardess had to break off the conversation and excuse herself. reb shlomo resumed his seat and looked out the window for a time presumably for some spiritual upliftment and inspiration from the cloud patterns breezing swiftly by past the plane's wings.

a few minutes passed like this and then the stewardess approached reb shlomo again. she inquired of him if he were a rav (a rabbi). he of course responded in the affirmative. she then told him of her dilemma. 'maybe you can help me. i have an urgent problem. recently i met a nice jewish young man and i'm a kallah (an engaged bride-to-be). we very much want to get married but his parents are adamantly against the shidduch (match) because i am a convert. his parents have threatened to cut him off and sever all ties with him if he goes through with his proposal to me. we love each other very much but he's very attached to them and doesn't want to cause them any grief. he's heartbroken and i fear he'll call off the wedding. can you help me?

'i'll certainly try' came reb shlomo's immediate response. 'give me their phone number and yours as well and i'll see what i can do. i'll try my best to convince your chatan's (your prospective groom-to-be's) parents that they shouldn't oppose your marriage to their son.

later on that day when reb shlomo reached his destination, he called the boy's parents. unfortunately the conversation did not go over very well. in fact, the parents were furious at reb shlomo for attempting to intervene and mediate on the 'goyish' young woman's behalf. the more reb shlomo tried to defend the merits of the girl the further enraged became the father. it got so bad that at one point he yelled into the phone, 'KNOW THAT I AM A HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR! AND BECAUSE I WITNESSED WHAT HASHEM PERMITTED THE NAZIS TO DO TO THE JEWS, I HATE JUDAISM! BUT THIS IS ALSO THE REASON WHY I WILL NEVER ALLOW MY SON TO MARRY A GOYA (A GENTILE) EITHER! ONLY OVER MY DEAD BODY WILL THIS MARRIAGE TAKE PLACE!' the last thing reb shlomo heard was the phone being slammed down.

what could he do? nothing. so reb shlomo immediately called the stewardess to apprise her of the dour situation and confirm her worst fears that his attempt at mitigation had met with utter failure. as he dialed, reb shlomo regretted being the bearer of such bad tidings and worried over shattering the dream of the poor girl's last hopeful expectation. gratefully reb shlomo got the girl's father on the line instead. so he told him about what had just transpired. much to reb shlomo's chagrin her father became just as upset at him as the boy's father had been and gave reb shlomo another earful.

reb shlomo listend in pained silence as he was being excoriated for meddling in affairs that were none of his business. afterward he tried to defend his actions, saying: 'it says in the holy torah that G-d occupies Himself a third of every day in matchmaking. i was only trying to help Him out a little bit. it is very clear to me that your daughter and this boy are truly in love with each other and it saddens me to see that they are being prevented from marrying.

reb shlomo's genuine concern deeply touched the father and he replied: 'i'm going to reveal to you a secret that i have never revealed to anyone else in my entire life. up until this very moment i was certain that i was going to take this secret of mine with me to the grave. but i'll tell you this because i see you really cared for my daughter and sincerely tried to help her out. my wife and i are catholics in name only. we are both really jewish. indeed, we are holocaust survivors. we hate judaism because of what Hashem did to the jews. we pretend we are catholic eventhough we were never actually, officially, converted. and we have raised our children to be good catholics. even our children do not know the real truth about us.'

'if so,' exclaimed reb shlomo excitedly, 'your daughter is really jewish from birth and she CAN get married to the boy without any objection from his parents! the father of the groom wants a jewish girl from birth for his son and your daughter fits the bill! wonderful news! thank you! i'm going to call them back right away and tell them the truth of your daughter's true identity!"

the girl's father agreed and gave his blessing and further consented to bring his wife and daughter along to reb shlomo's hotel room later that evening to meet the boy and his parents. hours passed and the moment of the auspicious meeting had arrived, one father with his family arriving a short while before the other... when the second one entered the room he heard exclaimed aloud, 'YANKELE!' startled the other father looked up and he too shouted out in greeting, 'HERSHELE!' as they fell into each other's arms. a few moments later when they both regained their composure from their emotional embrace they stood apart and began to explain to their shocked wives and children.

one father began: 'before the war we learned together in yeshiva (torah school) b'chavruta (as study partners). each of us was certain that the other had perished in the shoah (the holocaust) during those terribly bitter years.'

the other one then added: 'do you remember how we used to dream about the future while were in the yeshiva? we told one another that when we grew up and got married that we would endeavor to marry our children off to each other so as to become one family. well, we forgot our vow to each other. but Hashem did not forget.'"

no words from me can add to this story and do it any justice... so i will be silent... (for once)... shabat shalom... nik. out...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:28:37 PM by nikmatdam »
"i am nikmatdam... humble and imperfect servant of Hashem... and i yearn for redemption but i absolutely ache for Divine justice and vengeance..."

Offline nikmatdam

• Pro JTFer
Re: another very moving story from the holocaust...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 09:24:24 PM »
sorry... not letting this fall until people have had an opportunity to read this... n.
"i am nikmatdam... humble and imperfect servant of Hashem... and i yearn for redemption but i absolutely ache for Divine justice and vengeance..."

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:50:34 PM »
I think I like the man's parents.  ;D You have to respect their strong position.

Very cool story. I'm glad the couple were able to get together if it's a true story. :)

Offline nikmatdam

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 10:33:15 PM »
yes... i've heard this story from another source as well... it is true... nik.

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 11:04:43 PM »
didn't Carlebach make some different tunes for Kabbalat Shabbat?
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 11:08:16 PM »
Nice story, of course I wish they were all proud to be Jewish in the first place, but that's another story.

Offline nikmatdam

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 11:36:32 PM »
reb shlomo is the grandfather of jewish folk music... he was the original... and we will be singing his tunes to greet moshiach... nik.

Offline nikmatdam

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:36:46 AM »
not letting it fall... n.

Offline nikmatdam

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 11:19:10 PM »
putting it back one last time for those who missed it... nik. (i'm out of here for about a month... everyone have a great purim... i'll be back before pesach)... nik. out and about for awhile...