Author Topic: Oh what the heck... Ask OdKahaneChai  (Read 14203 times)

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
Oh what the heck... Ask OdKahaneChai
« on: February 29, 2008, 12:01:11 AM »
Might as well...  ;)

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Oh what the heck... Ask OdKahaneChai
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:10:07 AM »
What has taken you so long to make a thread??

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 02:02:56 AM »
What has taken you so long to make a thread??
It takes me a while to get into trends.

I'm still not quite down with the whole "hippity hop" thing...

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 02:30:47 AM »
What hippity hop thing?  ???

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 02:38:17 AM »
What hippity hop thing?  ???
You know, 25 Cents, or whatever his name is...  ;)

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 02:39:25 AM »
why do you believe the Shas party refuses to leave the smolmert regime and why aren't they more forceful in seeing that kassams are stopped with whatever means necessary?
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 04:48:38 AM »
why do you believe the Shas party refuses to leave the smolmert regime and why aren't they more forceful in seeing that kassams are stopped with whatever means necessary?
To be honest, I have no idea.  I'm not a member of the party.  But the decision they have made is not an excuse for Loshon Hora against Talmidei Chochomim, that's all I do know...

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 04:54:35 AM »
To be honest, I have no idea.  I'm not a member of the party.  But the decision they have made is not an excuse for Loshon Hora against Talmidei Chochomim, that's all I do know...

Have I insulted a talmid chochom here? I don't think I did.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 03:46:45 PM »
Have I insulted a talmid chochom here? I don't think I did.
Where did I say you did?

Good Shabbos!

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 02:59:30 PM »
This thread's almost as deserted as the part of Smolmert's brain that controls common sense...

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 09:46:18 PM »
Hi OdKahaneChai,
You seem very wise for a young person.
Where did you get your smarts and good sense of humor from?
I'm hoping that BullCat jr. will never get into the hippity hop thing either...for that would surely kill me off.
What kind of music do you like to listen to?
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 10:35:28 PM »
Hi OdKahaneChai,
I'm hoping that BullCat jr. will never get into the hippity hop thing either...for that would surely kill me off.
Well before I was frum, I was really into AC/DC, Rush, and the Who.  Now, I occasionally listen to Goyishe music, but I really like R' Shlomo Carlbach (ZTVK"L) and Avraham Fried. 

As for your daughter, I don't know - anything but the pop crap that all young girls seem to be listening to these days...

And my sense of humor I probably got from my father.  We're the family smart-alecks.

Thanks for the question!

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 10:14:49 AM »
Hi OdKahaneChai,
Well before I was frum, I was really into AC/DC, Rush, and the Who.  Now, I occasionally listen to Goyishe music, but I really like R' Shlomo Carlbach (ZTVK"L) and Avraham Fried. 

As for your daughter, I don't know - anything but the pop crap that all young girls seem to be listening to these days...

And my sense of humor I probably got from my father.  We're the family smart-alecks.

Thanks for the question!
I actually saw Rush and The Who in Concert.  I saw The Who perform at Shea Stadium where the Mets play baseball.
BullCat jr. really hasn't started to listen to 'pop' music yet.
 O0

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 03:32:30 PM »
Hi OdKahaneChai,

Thanks for the question!
I actually saw Rush and The Who in Concert.  I saw The Who perform at Shea Stadium where the Mets play baseball.
I've seen the Who once (2006) and Rush twice (2004, 2007).  As for the second Rush concert, wearing a Yarmulke and Tzitzis in a stadium full of drunk men between the ages of 35 and 45 is an interesting experience...

My dad saw the who at Shea Stadium in 1982, on their (first) Farewell Tour.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 03:34:40 PM by OdKahaneChai »

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 04:54:30 PM »
Hi OdKahaneChai,

Thanks for the question!
I actually saw Rush and The Who in Concert.  I saw The Who perform at Shea Stadium where the Mets play baseball.
I've seen the Who once (2006) and Rush twice (2004, 2007).  As for the second Rush concert, wearing a Yarmulke and Tzitzis in a stadium full of drunk men between the ages of 35 and 45 is an interesting experience...

We were probably at the same concert.  :o
I was a teen at the time.
I remember the whole stadium felt like it was moving - when people were on their feet  :D
I don't remember when I saw Rush.

a stadium full of drunk men between the ages of 35 and 45 is an interesting experience...
I bet they weren't a pretty sight.  ^-^

I have tickets to see Jethro Tull and Peter Frampton.  My husband's choice.

Do you still see many concerts?
I wonder how people can afford to with the price of tickets.
We used to go all the time when I was younger - tickets were really cheap.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 08:37:15 PM »
Hi OdKahaneChai,

Thanks for the question!

We were probably at the same concert.  :o
I was a teen at the time.
I remember the whole stadium felt like it was moving - when people were on their feet  :D
I don't remember when I saw Rush.

a stadium full of drunk men between the ages of 35 and 45 is an interesting experience...
I bet they weren't a pretty sight.  ^-^

I have tickets to see Jethro Tull and Peter Frampton.  My husband's choice.

Do you still see many concerts?
I wonder how people can afford to with the price of tickets.
We used to go all the time when I was younger - tickets were really cheap.
No, I do not see many concerts, but I have really bad mazel when it comes to Jewish musicians:

When Matisyahu finally decides to come to Detroit... I'm in New  York.

My first Chol Hamoed Sukkos as Chabadnik... is the first Chol Hamoed Sukkos Avrohom Fried decides not to come to Detroit.

*Sigh*... I'll catch one of them eventually...

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 04:36:41 PM »

Do you think that to be Frum, someone must give up that kind of music? I love alternative music and find myself addicted to it. And 70s music like David Bowie etc. I guess I like punk (The Ramones) and goth-like music too.
 So will I have to cut down on it in the future? Or give any of it up?
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Avraham Fried a lot and Rabbi Calebach and the Chabad group called 8th Day.  O0 I also love the Barry Sisters, since I'm a woman I can listen to them! LOL
I love Klesmer music and drive to Jewish party music too. Get's me in the BEST of moods!
Well, to a certain extent yes.  I don't know if you have to give up all goyishe music, but certainly all groups that regularly sing about treif topics.  I think pretty much all punk and goth music would fall into that category.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 04:27:16 PM »
Yes I feel you are 100% correct.
I'm trying to think exactly what The Ramones sing about, but I have no clue. Sometimes, the lyrics in those types of music make NO sense whatsoever!

Thanks so much for your answer. I think it would also weird people out to see a modest looking woman with a scarf covering her hair, wearing a long skirt...driving around listening to that kind of music. Couldn't imagine such thing!  :laugh:
Btw, your question inspired me to delete all the goyishe music from my iPod last night - so thank you!

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 04:41:45 PM »
How did you make the decision to become Frum?
I hope you don't mind my asking.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 05:13:11 PM »
How did you make the decision to become Frum?
I hope you don't mind my asking.
I absolutely don't mind you asking.  I told the story at least 54 times over Rosh Hashonoh alone.

Basically, cutting out all the sort of unimportant details, I was introduced to Rav Kahane's works by someone on MySpace.  I eventually read They Must Go in late 2006, and I agreed with it from a purely political standpoint, and then in January 2007 I read Forty Years, and soon afterwards I started keeping Shabbos (basically). 

Then, my first experience with Lubavitch was in late July-August 2007, but I was really only first introduced to the movement over the High Holy Days.  I started considering myself Chabad in early December 2007.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 10:53:55 AM »
For a younger person, in todays world, is it hard to be Frum?
Your choice seems an admirable one...with all the outside forces that can get in the way.
Have you influenced anyone else to become Frum?
Do you still have the same friends as before becoming Frum?

I, hope and pray, that BullCat jr. will choose the right path in life not the easiest.  I guess only time will tell.

You made me laugh when you said -
As for the second Rush concert, wearing a Yarmulke and Tzitzis in a stadium full of drunk men between the ages of 35 and 45 is an interesting experience...
I'm all for having fun but
Drunk men, at a concert, who are between the ages of 35 and 45 need to GROW UP...just a little don't you think  ::)

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 05:23:54 PM »
For a younger person, in todays world, is it hard to be Frum?
Your choice seems an admirable one...with all the outside forces that can get in the way.
Have you influenced anyone else to become Frum?
Not really... yet, but on sunday I was very happy to find out that a relative of mine has become religious in the past few months.  :)

Do you still have the same friends as before becoming Frum?
I don't think I've lost any, but I've certainly gained many...

I, hope and pray, that BullCat jr. will choose the right path in life not the easiest.  I guess only time will tell.

You made me laugh when you said -
As for the second Rush concert, wearing a Yarmulke and Tzitzis in a stadium full of drunk men between the ages of 35 and 45 is an interesting experience...
I'm all for having fun but
Drunk men, at a concert, who are between the ages of 35 and 45 need to GROW UP...just a little don't you think  ::)
Probably.  My father was most likely the only one in that age group there that wasn't intoxicated...

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 09:42:17 PM »
Well, I've been reading all this and I think everything you've done is so great!
And I'm glad my question was of help to you!  O0
Yes Chabad Lubavitch is great, they're always there when you need them, with open arms.
Oh yeah, and the other good news is that I'll be studying in a Chabad Yeshiva in EY this summmer.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 10:06:27 PM by OdKahaneChai »