Are You Jewish? (according to Halacha)

Yes
43 (66.2%)
No
20 (30.8%)
I'm not sure
2 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: how many Jews are in the forum?  (Read 40043 times)

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Re: how many Jews are in the forum?
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 04:29:56 PM »
<<<<<< scientologist

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 04:31:04 PM »
JK :)

Offline Haim_Ben_Shimon_3JFB

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 04:36:27 PM »
Hope that no one is making fun of the Askenazim.  :P
I am ashkenaz..

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 04:38:14 PM »

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 04:40:03 PM »
Hope that no one is making fun of the Askenazim.  :P

What's the point in people still categorizing Jews like this?   All Jews have the same Torah. 

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 04:40:58 PM »

Ashkenazim or Sefaradi, whats the difference we all Jews

Agreed

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2008, 04:44:55 PM »
okay, why are we even mentioning him  ??? , I dont like the fact that when discussing Jews, it happens that a lot of times the conversation ends up discussing the klippot amoung the Jews, and not the rightious ones.

It's annoying when liberal Jewish publications like to claim people, who are involved in the Hollywood  industry, as Jews. 

One of the reasons people in that industry are self-hating is because they play people who aren't themselves.  So they want to be someone who they aren't. 

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 07:38:26 PM »

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2008, 08:56:01 PM »
Jewish.

Offline nikmatdam

• Pro JTFer
  • one of my earliest rebbeim/rav nachman bulman zt"l
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2008, 09:55:23 PM »
so what's the count already and should we find out how many of us are observant...? nik.

i am frum...
"i am nikmatdam... humble and imperfect servant of Hashem... and i yearn for redemption but i absolutely ache for Divine justice and vengeance..."

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2008, 11:28:53 PM »

Heeb here.  8)

Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2008, 01:10:13 AM »
about 20 and 1/2  :::D

OKoK only joking Mills 21  :D :D :)

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2008, 01:21:11 AM »
about 20 and 1/2  :::D

OKoK only joking Mills 21  :D :D :)

LOL, thanks. I know I dont count, I'm just a gentile. But this situation may change one day.  ;)

Well you are not a gentile either, and you are close enough for my count  ;)

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2008, 01:26:54 AM »
Why don't we have another poll on this?? since the membership has grown so rapidly.

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2008, 01:59:28 AM »
I added a poll. 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2008, 03:03:47 AM »
I did.  Feel free to explain your answers everyone.  Especially if you said "Yes, but not according to Halacha" or "No, because of Halacha". 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2008, 03:12:35 AM »
No is just for gentiles with no Jewish ancestry.  No because of Halacha is for a person who might have Jewish ancestry and might want to or does consider himself Jewish, but admits that he isn't Jewish according to Halacha. 

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2008, 03:22:26 AM »
No is just for gentiles with no Jewish ancestry.  No because of Halacha is for a person who might have Jewish ancestry and might want to or does consider himself Jewish, but admits that he isn't Jewish according to Halacha. 

and what about , Yes, but not according to Halacha

That is for someone who considers himself or herself Jewish REGARDLESS of the fact that they are not Jewish Halachically.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2008, 03:40:43 AM »

That is for someone who considers himself or herself Jewish REGARDLESS of the fact that they are not Jewish Halachically.

I knew a girl growing up whose father was Jewish and whose mother was not Jewish, but she believed she was Jewish, self-identified as such, and followed a form of Reform Judaism. I'm assuming she would fall under that "Yes, but not halachically Jewish" option.

Offline nikmatdam

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2008, 04:08:06 AM »
if your mother was jewish because her mother was jewish from a jewish mother then you are jewish... otherwise you are not... that is the halacha... go back three generations unless you know for sure that someone earlier was not jewish then you are not... but 3 generations back is all you have to check to satisfy the halachic standard...

the reason the father does not matter at all is a deep secret of G-d but what we know even though he plants the seed in the soil (so to speak)... still the "fruit of the womb" is whatever the mother is... as the tree will determine which fruit grows upon it... and all grafting and hybriding aside... an apple only grows on an apple tree...

true conversion (gerut) changes the soul of the woman to be as if reborn and a jew fully and equally with any one born jewish from birth...

the father determines which tribe among the jewish people the child belongs to... unless the father is a goy and then though the child is jewish by an authentically halachic jewish woman... the child does not adopt the mother's tribe and is considered... tribeless like any other convert... this is the only area in which these children and converts themselves are disimilar to native born jews... however the child if a girl or the woman who converts will be considered a member of the tribe of her husband and their subsequent children will all be full members of that tribe... boys born from a goyish father and male converts are out of luck by Divine decree... not by human rule...

on the otherhand...  a child born of a jewish father and a goyish mother is not a jew to the 100th generation... also by Divine decree... the rabbis had nothing to do with making up any of these rules... it's just the way it is... as determined by the will of G-d... hope this helps... nik. out...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 04:12:25 AM by nikmatdam »
"i am nikmatdam... humble and imperfect servant of Hashem... and i yearn for redemption but i absolutely ache for Divine justice and vengeance..."

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2008, 02:32:27 PM »
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2008, 02:35:17 PM »

What is a non halakhic Jew?

I mean, i can agree if it is someone with a non Jewish mother, jewish father and raised Jewish, but not officially converted.  But what if it is someone who has both parents who are Jews, but this person doesn't really practice orthodox Judaism?  not shomer shabbat or shomer kashrut? Is he still halakhically a Jew?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline nikmatdam

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2008, 03:26:21 PM »
someone who claims to be jewish from a jewish father and a goyish mother... or one who claims to be a converted woman who was not converted according to torah law but has a reformed or conservative "conversion"... they are non-halachic jews... i.e. goyim muchlat... 100% gentiles... nik. out...

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2008, 03:28:11 PM »

What is a non halakhic Jew?

I mean, i can agree if it is someone with a non Jewish mother, jewish father and raised Jewish, but not officially converted.  But what if it is someone who has both parents who are Jews, but this person doesn't really practice orthodox Judaism?  not shomer shabbat or shomer kashrut? Is he still halakhically a Jew?

I cannot imagine how somebody cannot know this by now.

RULE IS IF MOTHER IS JEWISH OR THEY CONVERTED. THEN JEWISH

so yeah, if they meet those criteria, but eat pork and bacon, then they are still jewish. Just bad jews.

and has to be a proper conversion. Orthodox.

(and to say "non halachic jew" suggests you do not accept halacha).  If they are not halachically jewish, then according to halacha, they are not jewish.   You might say somebody is ethnically jewish. Or culturally jewish. In halacha that does not make or break somebody being jewish
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 03:30:05 PM by q_q_ »

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2008, 04:12:34 PM »
someone who claims to be jewish from a jewish father and a goyish mother... or one who claims to be a converted woman who was not converted according to torah law but has a reformed or conservative "conversion"... they are non-halachic jews... i.e. goyim muchlat... 100% gentiles... nik. out...

Dont' want to start an argument, but i have always wondered why reform and conservative rabbis don't count as far as conversions.  According to whom and what was this decided?

As far as actual conversions, my view is that it is best that it be done by a Rabbi who knows what he's talking about and that the convertee shoudl practice Torah Judaism.