Author Topic: :barf: LA Times story on "Girl vs. Her Father's Guns"  (Read 2863 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
:barf: LA Times story on "Girl vs. Her Father's Guns"
« on: March 10, 2008, 04:26:56 PM »
One of the more nauseating bits of trash journalism I've read in a while...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-julie10mar10,0,1135938.story

Shot and paralyzed 20 years ago, Julie Alban -- now with a baby -- wanted her dad's arms kept out of the house.
By David Haldane, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
March 10, 2008
Julie Alban still grimaces when she passes her old bedroom.

"This is where I crawled down the hallway to call 911," she explains, pushing her wheelchair along the polished wooden floor. "I had to pull my whole body with my arms. My elbows were all bloody."

What happened that morning 20 years ago altered the course of her life and set the stage for most of what would come.

Though paralyzed from the waist down when shot by a boyfriend she had known since childhood, Alban went on to become a Long Beach prosecutor specializing in domestic abuse cases, a Republican candidate for Assembly, champion for the rights of disabled people and, most recently, mother of a 5-month-old boy. A frequent inspirational speaker, she also has become an ardent proponent of gun control.

Recently, in fact, she raised the issue in a confrontation with her father, owner of the gun that cut her down, at a gala fundraising dinner attended by celebrities and friends.

"You are a loving and devoted father," the disabled lawyer told Seymour Alban, 83, an orthopedic surgeon, former reserve police officer, prominent Republican and lifelong lover of guns. "It's ironic that the person who loves me the most could somehow be a participant in my injury."

That misfortune occurred June 8, 1988, when Julie Alban's then-boyfriend, Bradley D. Ackerman, strolled into her bedroom in her parent's Long Beach home and shot her in the back. He then turned the gun on himself, inflicting a minor wound.

......(Edited for length)......

"There were only two things I always wanted," she says, "a career and to have a family. At 41 I felt that I had achieved what I wanted professionally. There wasn't much left for me there. I just felt an inordinate desire to have the connection" of being a parent.

She was put in touch with a married mother of four willing to give birth to the child. Alban's egg was mixed with donor sperm and implanted into the surrogate.

The result was Joseph Abraham Alban, born Oct. 6.

"He is a true miracle," Julie Alban says. "I can't believe that my life's journey -- so disrupted at age 22 -- has taken this turn."

As Alban settled into the routine of motherhood, however, a dark specter began to haunt her. To help make ends meet, she had moved back to her parents' home, the site of her maiming. There she was astonished to discover her father still clinging to his guns.

"He had them everywhere," she says. "I didn't want them in the house with my baby. We are not a family that can afford to have another tragedy. I pleaded with him for months, but he just wouldn't budge."

Eventually she called a family friend, a police officer, who agreed to store the weapons in a gun locker at his home. For a while, Alban says, it seemed like the problem was solved. Then the family learned that Seymour Alban had taken back the guns and moved them to his medical office in Los Alamitos.

"I don't get it," Julie Alban said. "There's nothing in my life that I love the way he loves those guns."

Several months ago, Los Alamitos police, informed of the situation by Julie's brother, Dr. Joseph Alban, who shares his father's practice, removed two shotguns, a 9-mm handgun and a .32-caliber pistol from the offices on Katella Avenue.

Though no laws had been broken, police spokesman Sgt. Jeff Travis said, the weapons "were being kept in an unsecured manner. They were probably unsafe in that people could have access to them. We took them and booked them for safekeeping."

Julie Alban, incredulous at her father's tenacity, decided to confront him publicly. What better place, she thought, than the annual Sports Legends Awards Dinner for the Paralysis Project of America, where she was scheduled to speak before 450 people. Among them would be such sports celebrities as retired Phoenix Suns player Kevin Johnson, jockey Jose Santos and boxer Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini.

As the date of the event at the downtown Los Angeles Omni Hotel drew near, the usually confident lawyer grew nervous. Her mother sat on the group's board of directors and Seymour Alban was on its Scientific Committee. Although she had argued about guns with him before, she'd never done it in such a public forum.

"Your unshakable optimism propelled me to succeed," Julie Alban told her father, who was standing next to her on the podium. But her injury never would have happened, she said, "if it hadn't been for one mistake. There are 200 million privately owned weapons in the United States, 24% of them handguns. Yet they are responsible for 70% to 90% of all fatal shootings. A gun is used for self-protection less than 5% of the time."

Seymour Alban smiled. "I am very proud of my beautiful daughter," he said, describing what had happened to her as a "terrible tragedy."

In the privacy of an upstairs room, however, the doctor spoke more freely.

"I don't feel that I did anything irresponsible," he said. "My gun was stolen from me. There was nothing I could do."

An ardent hunter, marksman, ROTC graduate and outdoorsman, Alban had long been devoted to his weapons. There was another reason for his fervor: He had watched helplessly decades ago as, a continent away, his fellow Jews were marched to their deaths.

"The first thing Hitler did," Alban said, "was confiscate the guns. Guns were my culture. If anyone threatened my family, I'd rather die protecting them than walk to the gas chamber."

In light of his own family's tragedy, however, all that had worn thin. "The idea of defending ourselves was very important to me," Alban said, "but our lives have been changed."

Then he made a confession: Unbeknown to his family, he had retrieved his guns from the police station's evidence room, where they had been stored.

Rather than take them home, however, he had returned them to the secured locker at his friend's house, where he says they will remain.

"I think Julie's right," the doctor admitted, "the weapons should be stored."
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 04:29:55 PM by Cohen »

newman

Re: :barf: LA Times story on "Girl vs. Her Father's Guns"
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 04:49:45 PM »
What a giant crock of (deleted)!

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: :barf: LA Times story on "Girl vs. Her Father's Guns"
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 06:05:43 PM »
MassuhD finds Julie Alban 'guilty as charged'!

It was her boyfriend who shot her, and her boyfriend who then shot himself.

Neither the actual assailant, nor his motives for shooting her, are ever mentioned again; a deceitful propaganda ploy setting up the true intentions of the writers' agenda; that of blaming all of America for taking advantage of the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution.. being that the Right of all Citizens to Keep and Bear Arms shall not be abridged!

What follows is a well-crafted propaganda piece in which her father, Jewish holocaust survivors, together with any and all legal gun owners, are blamed for her gunshot wound, by "reason" that a weapon owned by her father was misused by her "boyfriend" against her.

Nowhere does this article bring into question Julie's own emotional instability and her complete lack of judgement, in dating a guy who undoubtedly must have given numerous clues early on as to his violent tendencies and complete irresponsibility, because by so doing the writer would completely destroy Julie's credibility, underline her lack of personal judgement, and reveal to readers that an irresponsible and unqualified individual is working as a legal prosecutor and government official,  being allowed to render unwise decisions together with poor judgements, all of which bear long-term consequences for the American public.

This article absolves the actual guilty parties who perpetrated the shooting, and instead shifts the blame on to American society as a whole.

As a final insult to injury, "a doctor" offers a "prescription" that all guns must be turned over to be held in storage by "the proper authorities", for the sake of "the public good".